Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of not being able to breathe and Fear of suffocation  (Read 538 times)

Offline RK

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of not being able to breathe and Fear of suffocation
« on: February 27, 2014, 12:23:06 PM »
I have a weird fear - Fear of not being able to breathe and Fear of suffocation. I never had breathing problems in my life. I tend to associate death with not being able to breathe ( struggling and gasping for breath for a lot of days  before dying ) and suffocation feeling that comes during death. I strongly believe that these two things happening are inevitable for everyone. I dread any breathing problems. Does anyone have similar issue/fears ?. Are my fears irrational ?. I have had these fears for a long time and cannot seem to get rid of them from my mind.Oh one more fear. I fear cancer not for pain but for the breathing problems it presents. I read somewhere that all advanced cancers cause breathing problems. Any disease that causes breathing problems scare me. Any one with similar fears ?
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of not being able to breathe and Fear of suffocation
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 05:52:52 AM »
Let us look at death. Think of it as like going asleep. Most people do go asleep and just simply never wake up again. They slip into a deep coma before death. So most are unaware of anything at all. Another simple fact is that you can hold your breath for as long as you can. What will happen? You will breathe again. We can not hold our breath forever. As the brain / body demands us to breathe. Our breath can quicken up. It may make us feel bad. But it will never just stop as we walk down the road or sit watching TV. I do think a lot of people wonder and fear death. No more breathing and the likes. But you could spend your whole life worrying about this and look back years from now and say ' look at all the time I have wasted when I could have been living my life '. I would rather look back and say ' at least I gave it a go '. You have to try and enjoy your life. Make the most of it. Find things to do to take your mind off of your thoughts.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline RK

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 12:35:01 PM »
Thanks for the reply Cuchculan. It is just that I have this breathing phobia....anything that may affect my breathing. I have to work to get my mind off of it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline RK

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 01:49:27 PM »
Does any else have this fear, please reply.
Bookmark and Share

Offline RK

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 03:54:36 PM »
I found a name for this type of phobia - asphyxiphobia. Don't know how common this is
Bookmark and Share

Offline 247alldayanxious

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 08:56:12 AM »
Hi there. I have this fear too, thought it does not manifest that often. The thought of it just pops into my mind every now and then AND it scares me. A lot. It also occurs when I'm in closed places since I am claustrophobic. But I tell you that it's normal to have fears, we all have them, and let us just live life as it is. Fears hold us back but it can make us stronger. You should talk to a psychiatrist about this if it gets really extreme or better yet, consult one now. I understand your situation as I am suffering for many phobias and fears for a while now. I hope you will do well, friend.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mika

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 01:44:58 AM »
I can totally relate. On some days when my overall anxiety is fairly high, I tend to focus on my breathing in a bad way. It's hard for me at that point, to let go and try to remind myself that it's an automatic response. The feeling of not being able to breathe is the worst part of my panic attacks for me. My main phobia right now is eating, drinking, or taking meds. My brain is telling me I'm allergic to everything. The reason I fear that so much is because I automatically assume that I'll go into anaphylactic shock and my throat will close. This is why I haven't had a real meal in almost a year.
Bookmark and Share

Offline RK

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 04:27:47 PM »
Thanks for your replies 247alldayanxious and Mika. Does anyone have an idea of the type of exposure to go through to overcome this fear of suffocation and fear of not being able to breathe ???
Bookmark and Share

Tags: