Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Could use some reassurance (even though I should know better!)  (Read 174 times)

Offline MilSpouse

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Could use some reassurance (even though I should know better!)
« on: February 27, 2014, 11:02:49 AM »
I keep developing splinter hemorrhages under my fingernails (off and on), and, even though I should know better, they always make me worry.

My anxiety issues surfaced about 6 months ago when I started having chest pain and, even after being cleared through several EKGs and an echocardiogram (nothing found but a simple flow murmur), the pains come back from time to time and still make me nervous. And, of course, when the spots show up under my nails, I couple that with the chest pain and worry about the possibility of endocarditis!

Logically, I know this is very unlikely. I have a rheumatology appointment next month (high rheumatoid factor and a family history of RA), and I know these are also associated with RA or other autoimmune diseases - so it makes MUCH more sense that something like that would be the cause. I also don't have any fever, and even ran a half-marathon this past weekend, which I assume would be nearly impossible with endocarditis or other heart issues. I just struggle with getting the logical part of my brain and the anxious part of my brain to agree!

I know there's not really any question here - I guess I really just looking for reassurance that my logical brain is the right part, and my anxious brain is just being an idiot :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Could use some reassurance (even though I should know better!)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 12:07:38 PM »
even ran a half-marathon this past weekend, which I assume would be nearly impossible with endocarditis

This.

Anyway, you can't turn off emotions. You are feeling anxious and it is very hard to eliminate it through logic thinking because emotions are much stronger. You can instead accept those feelings as anxiety feelings and pay little attention to them. That way, they will probably subside.
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Could use some reassurance (even though I should know better!)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 01:09:17 PM »
I've been getting splinter hemorrhages off and on as well. I'm trying not to think about it too much, I'm hoping it's just from slight nail injuries (they are usually always on my right hand, I'm rt handed). I freaked out and showed my husband and he said, oh yeah I get those sometimes too - no big deal. Wish I could think that way!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: