Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Insomnia for a week now. Don't believe it's anxiety.  (Read 175 times)

Offline mom2boys

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
Insomnia for a week now. Don't believe it's anxiety.
« on: February 27, 2014, 09:13:52 AM »
It's been a few years since I have posted here. I was doing very well after all the crazy health worries, starting Zoloft and getting through the start up phase... I weaned off this past summer.
After all my heart worries, panic attacks etc I started running regularly, running several half marathons, some smaller races and continuing to run several times a week up until now.  I felt so great, totally cured of my anxiety.

I did start having some anxiety this past summer. Thought the Zoloft wasn't really helping and wanted to wean off . I've been able to deal with it on my own. But now, for a week I have got VERY LITTLE sleep. I literally can NOT fall asleep. I kept my Xanax script (as needed) which has been hardly ever. It helped at first, then didn't. When it did help I obsessed over not being able to sleep without it. Which is exactly what happen. Saw my Dr. started Zoloft again.

I can't get my mind off of this not being anxiety. That I will end up in the hospital, never sleeping again. I've read horror stories (I know bad to google) of fatal insomnia. That being the worst of course but also of people who have severe insomnia and nothing works. THAT is my main fear.
I had insomnia many years ago (about 10) which is what started my whole anxiety "journey". But it did not last this long and responded the first night to taking trazodone. I got a script for that yesterday and tried it last night. It did not work.
I was actually remaining in good spirits early on thinking this would pass. Surely I'd sleep...
Bookmark and Share
Hyperchondria(health anxiety), panic disorder,social anxiety, GAD, recently insomnia
Meds tried Lexapro,(twice) Trazodone, Cymbalta, Buspar,xanax, zoloft, back on zoloft for a 2nd time

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Insomnia for a week now. Don't believe it's anxiety.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 09:22:30 AM »
Relax...it's anxiety. Take xanax or something similar for a while and then slowly reduce it. I have/had the same issue and I am taking dose as low as necessary to make me fall asleep.  Eventually I stop taking it, and when insomnia returns I take again. No need to panic.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mom2boys

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 09:35:13 AM »
The Xanax is not helping me sleep either. The most I have taken is the full .5 dose. Then another.25 several hours later of no sleep. Tried trazodone last night since it helped me years ago  but it did not work either.
Bookmark and Share
Hyperchondria(health anxiety), panic disorder,social anxiety, GAD, recently insomnia
Meds tried Lexapro,(twice) Trazodone, Cymbalta, Buspar,xanax, zoloft, back on zoloft for a 2nd time

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 09:38:46 AM »
You can to doctor to check it out, but I am almost certain it is anxiety. It's just that your anxiety is so high that you need stronger meds/ even higher doses. But up your doses only in consultation with a doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 10:54:10 AM »
After all my heart worries, panic attacks etc I started running regularly, running several half marathons, some smaller races and continuing to run several times a week up until now.  I felt so great, totally cured of my anxiety.

Wonderful, wonderful! Seems you are, overwhelmingly likely, healthy. Congrats! But, unfortunately (in a good way mostly:), that makes you just like most of us other peeps here on The AZ.....you are healthy, overall, and have anxiety issues. But, we can, certainly, work on our anxiety issues and, hopefully, get ourselves moving along our healing path (again:).

HA tends to wax and wane as we move through our lives. We have good times in our dealings and we have some not so good times. But, we sure do tend to discount our good times, to a powerful extent, when are facing a setback and when we might be falling into some old repeat thinking patterns and repeat patterns of embracing habits and actions that are detrimental for our longer-term healing path (one terrible habit is  googling, of course!). Though tough when we are struggling a bit, we have to try to embrace that we have been down this path before (and we will likely have some sort of interactions in the future, as well). We have lived, when we truly thought we were going to die, or become incapacitated, from some sinister disease. Overwhelmingly (and I mean so freaking fantastically overwhelmingly:), we aren't going to die this time either.

So, now that we know we aren't going to die and leave behind our loved ones, we can focus on our mental health. If only it were that easy - I know:) But, ultimately, it does come down to focusing on our mental health and moving away from repeat medical intervention and repeat self-checking and repeat self-diagnosing.

What actions and habits and mindsets have helped you in the past with your overall anxiety?

What habits and actions and mindsets do you find yourself falling into when you get hyper anxious and full of worry about there being something going on in your body that is bad?

Insomnia is one of the more prevalent 'side-effects' of anxiety issues. Most of us have dealt with it, at times. 'Fatal Insomnia' is a pretty common worry around The AZ, as well. In all my years (about 30 years now) of being an anxiety person and being involved in groups like The AZ, and others, I have never even heard of an anxiety peep dying from FA....NEVER!:) Pretty good odds:) Not saying you fear this....just wanted to throw that out there, as most HA peeps with insomnia have googled this and FA comes up eventually:)

Are you working with a Doc / psych on a game plan to get you 'back on track'?:)

IMHO, we aren't 'cured' from HA / ADs....we learn how to accept them....manage them....learn how discount them, so to speak. We learn how to live WELL (SO very well:) alongside them. We learn how to be the major definer of our overall well-being and not have anxiety call too many of the shots. All this we can do. All this we can do even when anxiety has got us in its grips and we might feel we are pretty helpless. We are never helpless:)

Peace and Feel Well:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline mom2boys

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 11:23:29 AM »
Thank you Floridaguy  :-) What has helped me in the past was eventually the medications. It is what always gets me back on track.  Even though each time I have started them I think it won't work this time. Which is what I'm dealing with, with the sleep. Normally a bad night would subside and sleep would come with Xanax then not be needed for a long time again. At this point I am in a repeat cycle of worrying about not going to sleep, not being able to, meds not working etc.... I am tired, yawning , comfy in bed but not falling asleep.

Exercise helped my mental well being tremendously. At this point I worry I'm doing more harm than good running or working out when my body is not sleeping/healing itself....
\
I fall into the mindset of worrying about what is causing the symptoms (this time insomnia) not being anxiety, looking up symptoms etc. Which I seriously stopped doing that for a long time.

Anxiety and stress were creeping back up on me but I was handling it. One sleepless night sent me into panic of it happening again. And it has over and over... Seemingly getting worse.

Yes, I did come across fatal insomnia. It was one of the first search results when I started looking up insomnia.

I saw my Dr. Monday. The plan to get back on track was starting the Zoloft again and using Xanax for sleep until it started to work. Of course I am convinced it won't work this time. And the Xanax is not helping with sleep. I tried trazodone last night, something that helped me in the past and it didn't help either.

Thank you for your response. It helps ease my mind seen through others eyes that it sounds like anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: