Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: this has been nagging me...  (Read 376 times)

Offline reece

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
this has been nagging me...
« on: February 26, 2014, 10:29:42 AM »
so, i'm trying to be cool about it, but this has been nagging me and i need someone to help me rationalize it out.

my puppy is 14 weeks old. she has not had rabies shot yet, she gets it at 16 weeks.
i keep her on a leash and see her at all times, but my husband has been letting her run off the leash in our backyard alot.  i asked him not too, but he does it anyway. several times she has run into our brushy area, behind trees, in ivy, etc. (it's not the woods, it's just a small area about 10 yards long, 5 wide.

so, now my fear is that maybe something bit her while she was back there, like a rabid bat, snake, rat, raccoon, etc and we didn't know it. she is furry and black, so it's hard to tell if she got bit by anything, ya know?
my sister, the vet tech says a puppy would die within 10 days if they had rabies). so, that gives me some comfort, but here is the complicated part

what if she got bit, we don't know it, she bites my son(which she does often, and did yesterday, since she's a puppy, and draws blood). then we get her vaccinated, and she is fine but yet she passes it on to one of us because the bite occurred before her vaccine.

she will get vaccinated on march 8.

can someone help my brain sort this out?
thanks in advance....

Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
Re: this has been nagging me...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 11:24:27 AM »
nevermind. my vet tech sister said if she dies, then we can get vaccinated.
that makes sense
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 12:50:10 PM »
right???  :)

and that sounded cold, didn't mean to sound so cold about the puppy!
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 04:06:31 PM »
ok, i admit. i have been obsessing and worrying about this all day. i could use some help.
she is going to get the vaccine on march 8. then it takes 2 weeks to kick in.
that's almost a month before she's protected.

what will i do with this anxiety in the meantime. i find myself checking her. and wondering what will happen if she does get sick. i will assume it's rabies. people will not listen to me and i'll be in anxiety hell.

LOL -
seriously, i need y'alls help to get a handle on this now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 04:59:19 PM »
Do you realize HOW many people get puppies?   You would have heard of something like that happening at lease ONCE.  I never did.
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 05:44:23 PM »
somehow that doesn't help me!  lol

it's that .00001 percent possibility that always gets me. with everything
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 05:55:32 PM »
Hi reece,
    I would try to play the odds and the odds are in your favor all is OK.

Marc
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 06:47:11 PM »
so, here's the deal. this is the type of thing that gets me going.
for example, today, i was cooking and i dropped some onion on the floor apparently(without knowing it). a little while later i see my puppy chewing on something. i get it and it's a piece of an onion. i then remembered reading recently all these items dogs shouldn't eat, and onions is one of them.

so, it's not that i'm so scared that she will die from eating the onion. i'm scared that she will die, and the vet will say it's from the onion, but my mind will wonder the whole time if it was really rabies. so, until she is completely vaccinated, these type of scenarios will haunt me.
i don't want to google about dogs and onions. and if she ate any it was only a piece.

i just don't want something to happen to her and me have to wonder if it was maybe rabies. and then the vet and everyone won't let me get her tested because they would say that was silly.

i told my hubby tonight, that if she dies before she's vaccinated he has to promise to get her rabies tested. 

ugh. 

anxiety sux
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 06:52:12 PM »
That sounds like something I would go through!  (Makes me feel so NOT alone  :spineyes:)  But...  if the dog died I am SURE they'd do some kind of autopsy in a case like that, they'd have to.   Then they'd KNOW the cause of death. But I am sure your little puppy isn't going to die!
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 06:58:43 AM »
i  just want to resolve these feelings about this. the only way that they will get resolved is when she is vaccinated,(2 weeks after actually)and when she is still alive.

so, how do i do this
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 07:14:40 AM »
My dog has eaten chocolate a number of times in fair amounts and nothing happened to him and that
is one of the worst things dogs can eat.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 07:38:46 AM »
marc,,
thanks for your help. i know, my other dog ate all kinds of stuff, and never died.
i didn't know that onions were "toxic" to dogs. i don't know the details. like chocolate, do that have to eat a lot of it? does it affect them immediately? or is it like an over time sort of thing where you'd have to give it to them regularly?  i started to google it, but with words like "toxic" on the pages, i just figured i better not! lol

my sister was a vet tech for 25 years. i am trying to trust that she knows.
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 10:50:33 AM »
so, my sister said that if they ever suspected rabies, they would quarantine the animal for 10 days.
so, hypothectically,  if that's the case, then if the animal died within that 10 days, does the person have enough time to get the vaccine? or do you have to get it like right after exposure?
I'm hoping since they do the quarantine, that then you could get the vaccine if necessary. if that's the case, then i won't worry as much.

can someone help?
Bookmark and Share

Offline MilSpouse

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 11:17:31 AM »
My husband went through this last year after he got bitten on the thumb helping me rescue a stray kitten (my bad!).

The 10 days is plenty of time - our doctor assured us that it was plenty of time to get treatment if we found out it was needed, and she wouldn't even consider giving the vaccine before that period was over. The doctor also told us that there's also only a very small window where rabies is actually transmittable, and, at that point, the animal would probably be exhibiting rabies symptoms. Also, if your puppy was attacked by a rabid animal, you would probably be able to tell. Rabid wild animals don't just give a quick bite and run away (a big reason why vets don't worry too much about rabies in baby animals, they're too young and small to survive the attack). The puppy would definitely have some injuries that you would need to get checked by the vet anyway.
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 02:53:48 PM »
MIL-thank you so much!  so if 'm reading this correctly, if something happens before she can get vaccinated, then we will have time to get vaccinated if necessary. 
she just bit my hand and drew blood again today, so....ugh.

i just need to get through the next month, until she is totally protected from rabies.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: