Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can anxiety cause dry mouth and thirst?  (Read 291 times)

Offline Luscion

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can anxiety cause dry mouth and thirst?
« on: February 25, 2014, 08:23:33 PM »
today i've been having this weird feeling of the back of my throat and tongue feeling dry and it helps when i drink water, i do feel thirsty but not that much tbh. my urine has been clear the whole day so it cant be dehydration can it? i only noticed this symptom after i got anxious today, there's no frequent urination though. i've had this silly obsession with kidney disease which is unheard of at my age, maybe its just my head?
Bookmark and Share

Offline corwin

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can anxiety cause dry mouth and thirst?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 12:49:04 AM »
anxiety can absolutely cause mouth and throat dryness. a quick story for you: when i first started having severe panic attacks, i was attending group therapy and had to ride a bus back from therapy at the end of the day. the bus ride was almost an entire hour long. on one particularly bad ride, i remember feeling as though my mouth and throat were completely parched. no matter how much water i sipped, my mouth and throat would be dry again within seconds. it felt like i couldn't produce any saliva at all, like i hadn't drank anything in days. but the moment i got off the bus and got home, the dryness went away. ever since i came to terms with it being a part of anxiety, that symptom has never come back. so, speaking from experience here, i'm very sure that your own dry feeling is coming from your anxiety and nothing else. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 12:52:19 AM »
Sounds like reflux, flared up by anxiety. I've battled it myself for a while, and if you search around it's pretty common on this forum.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Luscion

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 01:31:16 AM »
anxiety can absolutely cause mouth and throat dryness. a quick story for you: when i first started having severe panic attacks, i was attending group therapy and had to ride a bus back from therapy at the end of the day. the bus ride was almost an entire hour long. on one particularly bad ride, i remember feeling as though my mouth and throat were completely parched. no matter how much water i sipped, my mouth and throat would be dry again within seconds. it felt like i couldn't produce any saliva at all, like i hadn't drank anything in days. but the moment i got off the bus and got home, the dryness went away. ever since i came to terms with it being a part of anxiety, that symptom has never come back. so, speaking from experience here, i'm very sure that your own dry feeling is coming from your anxiety and nothing else. :)

I really hope its just anxiety, the feeling wont go away and gets worse when i think about it, its been happening all day but its just been today, hopefully tomorrow its gone. Being a Hypochondriac, the slightest unusual feelings send me into a panic, it doesnt help that my urine has been bubbly the past week :/ i mean i had full blood work done a month ago, if something was wrong wouldnt it have showed up then?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 01:57:04 AM »
Sounds like reflux, flared up by anxiety. I've battled it myself for a while, and if you search around it's pretty common on this forum.

I keep hearing this reflux word flung around.

What exactly is it and how does it correlate with anxiety?

I think of reflux when you eat high acid food and you have stomach acid or heartburn... especially bouncing back up into the esophagus.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 02:29:39 AM »
Without any medical training, I can't say for sure how anxiety affects your stomach, but there's a definite trend here and I firmly believe it does. tater, your description of reflux is what happens to me right before an anxiety attack. I feel my stomach start to turn, the acid (vapor) comes up my throat, etc.

Naturally were all wired differently, so what affects me may not affect others, and vice versa.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: