Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Has Ativan been beneficial for your physical-tension related symptoms?  (Read 373 times)

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
So last week my psychiatrist called in ten 0.5 mg Ativan for me as needed. I took a couple, but I've been really working hard on relaxation, mindfulness, etc and today have had more success keeping things under control. However, I have a lot of muscle tension related to the anxiety over the last few days. Last time I got into this muscle tension I had a spiral of months with neck, wrist, shoulder pain (just prior to my anxiety diagnosis, and was likely an early manifestation of it)

At any rate, I'm scheduling a massage as soon as I can to help alleviate the physical tension, but I was wondering if anyone had experienced relief of their physical tension with the ativan. Again, mentally I feel fairly good right now so I don't want to use the ativan if not neccessary, but I do have it so I'd certainly like to give it a try if there was a chance it'd help prevent the muscle tension cycle. Insights? Chuck? Ativan users? What's your experience?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Has Ativan been beneficial for your physical-tension related symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 04:06:18 PM »
I'd certainly like to give it a try if there was a chance it'd help prevent the muscle tension cycle

Benzodiazepines are prescribed to relieve muscle spasms as they have muscle relaxant properties so there's a good chance Ativan will have a positive effect though the longer acting BZDs are mostly prescribed for this. However, it might not be the best use for the med. I suggest you discuss this with your doctor as they may be better alternatives. Magnesium supplements are sometimes effective.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline AncientMelody

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 04:35:49 PM »
I feel foolish....I knew that benzos were prescribed for muscle spasms, I've just never done so myself. It didn't even occur to me.  I have flexeril in the cupboard from last year when this happened, but I don't think I'll ever take it again. The grogginess and lack of focus it gave me was just horrible. my magnesium was fine at last check, but I think a hot bath tonight will do nicely. Thanks for your thoughts insights :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline kutekat

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 02:39:09 PM »
ever since being on klonopin daily, i have noticed my physical tensions and aches have gone down a lot. i know for a fact that valium is prescribed a lot for muscle spasms or something of the sort. i've tried flexeril before and i would NEVER take it again!!!!!!!!!!!! felt like i was a dumb zombied noodle. no thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

• Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 03:52:43 PM »
I have chronic neck pain/shoulder tension that comes and goes. Youll be shocked but 12.5mg Zoloft takes it away! I'll take it a few days, then stop. Crazy, I know, but that works for me! Im crossing over to valium now trying to get off of klonopin, which, strangely, never helped my pain. Anyway, the valium has stopped the pain!
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Online forever young

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 12:06:07 PM »
I feel better reading this. I have started having upper back shoulder and neck pain. I saw the that if you have upper back pain it could mean a heart attack. I have HA  worry about my heart for some time even afraid to go and have test. I think a times it feels muscular and it moves around. I am trying to not think the worst. I have zanax would it help? I know I took an aspirin and it didn't help a lot. I feel sometimes like my shoulders are up to my chin.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 03:56:16 PM »
You certainly may try the xanax, but if it's been going on for awhile, you probably have some muscle tension built up and acute relaxation may only help for so long. I'd recommend that you consider some stretching exercises as well for your neck and shoulders, and get a massage or some acupuncture., When my muscle tension grew chronic last year, the massage and acupuncture helped a lot.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 06:54:19 PM »
Forever young, I described my pain as: it felt as if my back was folding in on itself. I get massages sometimes, but Ive never tried deep tissue massage. I always got Swedish, so I think I'll try that, and I'd like to try acupuncture too.
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Online forever young

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 11:48:36 AM »
I have put myself into a panic worrying about this pain. It is hard to describe. It feels like the muscles are tired. it moves around. It will be in one shoulder then lower down like where my bra strap is. It will go up my neck. I noticed it was there a little this morning but gets worse as the day goes by.

what kind of stretching exercise are you talking about ancient melody? I feel some like I might have arthritis. I hurt in my elbow. I am on celexa have been since last July. I wonder if it could make you have aches and pains. I thought I saw where someone asked that question but it has been awhile back. But you would think  it would help. I wonder if I should go up on it. I am on 20 mg but didn't want to take more than I needed to.

hikingchick how are you controlling your anxiety if you are going off your medication. I wanted to but got worse and have never been able to fully get better this time. I am trying hard to watch the way I think but that is hard to do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 03:01:28 PM »
Hi, Forever Young, Im 50 now, and I have a very stable, calm life right now. It's really the right time for me to get off of daily klonopin. Ive mainly had situational anxiety, and I do best with 'as needed' med use. If I take care of my sleep, and make sure to rely on exercise, I thrive. So, my pdoc and I decided that I will stay on valium to stabilize a few months, then try an taper it. If all goes well, I will be using small crumbs of 15mg remeron pills(which works for me for sleep very well), as needed for sleep, and klonopin or valium, as needed to control spikes of anxiety, or to get it under control for a few days, then stop. If I have to take a daily med, I will go with Zoloft or Prozac, but hopefully not. My neck pain/shoulder tension just comes and goes, so I think Im stuck with it. I may have an mri at some point. Thanks for asking!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: