Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: What all have you tried?  (Read 254 times)

Offline NovocaineKisses

• Trix
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Plot Twist!
    • Poke This Member
What all have you tried?
« on: February 25, 2014, 02:50:31 PM »
I'm getting to the point of desperation with my anxiety, panic attacks and agoraphobia. I dread the next attack, I dread being alone, I dread the car rides to the store, work and to drop my kids off. I've been in a funk since my last huge panic attack that sent me racing to the hospital on the 7th. I have my xanax and take it when I absolutely cannot stand it any long or if I have something I need to do and know I can't without a little back up. I've downloaded a couple really good apps on my phone that seem to help if I can stay calm long enough to try and I try to stay up and busy and exercise everyday. I'm reading lots of different books and changing my diet and even have some testing done at the end of this week. They thought before that my anxiety and panic disorder could be hormonal or some kind of deficiency so I've finally found someone willing to do the tests instead of shove pills at me. Don't get me wrong medication is great when it works, but I constantly get put on antidepressants that make my symptoms worse and give me new added bad ones. A lot of my anxiety stems from health fears, except for when I'm actually sick and running a fever then the anxiety is gone, and travel fears, which is why I NEVER leave my small town anymore. I want to know what else to try, what else to do. I'm stuck and I feel so awful all I can do is cry to my friend who I'm staying with while I try to help myself and my mom who lives about 8 hrs away and doesn't know how to help me. I just need some help. :(
Bookmark and Share
“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: What all have you tried?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 05:37:20 AM »
Best thing I ever done was exposure therapy. Not for everybody. Means putting yourself out there were it hurts the most. You will want to run back in. But the thing is not to run. I know that might sound like your worst nightmare come true. To stay there and let all those bad feelings come on. But we start out small. Five minutes first attempt. I guess the whole point of it all is to see they are just feelings. Bad ones at that. But just as they come on, they also go away. I had spent ten years in my house. Just picture me heading back out. I began with the front garden. Until I felt relaxed there. Lot of horrible feelings. But the longer I stayed in the garden the weaker those horrible feelings became. Once I was safe in my garden I began to go for walks in the area where I live. Again, small walks to begin with. To get used to the feelings it was throwing at me. You move it along bit by bit. Soon I was on trains and buses. I was going places. It does take a lot of effort. You really have to believe in yourself. You do have the odd setback or two. Thing is to pick yourself back up and dig that little bit deeper and head straight back out again. By way of saying ' you are not beating me '. Once you get on a roll and you see that you can do things, you will find you want to take on even more. You become braver. So never give up hope. With a bit of hard work things can be put right. I do still have my bad days. But I have more good than bad days. Others might have other ideas. This is just what worked for me.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 11:39:41 AM »
I do what I always do: gathered knowledge and pattern recognition. I look for patterns in symptoms and thoughts, find out what can cause them. Both biological and psychological, and how it affects them, and how they feed off each other.

Panic is always partially a result of uncertainty. So by reducing that, panic attacks reduce. This doesn't eliminate them totally, but it makes them easier to handle and reduces how often it happens. When the attacks get really bad, I use things to ground me. Scary stories, video games, anything that can put the excess adrenaline to use and also distract me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NovocaineKisses

• Trix
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Plot Twist!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 02:02:39 PM »
I'm actually really proud of myself for a few things last week and this week. On the 20th I went to my daughters kindergarten program. I got there and almost ran for the hills but I gathered up my kids, went inside, videotaped it and I was so proud of her and of me afterwards. This week I've fought off feelings of panic at work and at home. It's been rough, rougher than ever, and I have days where I just want to curl up and cry but I don't. I've been trying so many different things to see what helps the most. Distraction, breathing, self reassurance, those seem to work the best as long as I can calm down enough to use them. I'm trying to beat this for my children and me. My life has been put on hold long enough and there are things I want to do with it. Places I want to go. I guess the thing I have the most trouble with is the patience I need to have to get from where I am now to where I want to be. I need to remember that small steps lead to bigger steps and that I am trying to get better.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bama21

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 04:53:35 PM »
Things that helped me move past a period of severe panic disorder:

Medication:  15 mg of Citalopram (low dose), having Klonopin available (just knowing it is there if you need it can help)

Keep a journal:  When you feel anxious or panicky, write down what you are feeling.  Examine why you are feeling this way and write down what you think is the source.  Doing this proves to yourself that you can wrap your brain around the problem and that it isn't some out of control thing that you can't understand.

Force yourself to relax during a panic attack:  Meaning...when the adrenaline hits, just breathe out, relax your shoulders, and let it happen.  Pay attention to the symptoms and tell yourself it is normal to feel that way when your brain tells your body that you are in danger.  It's not going to kill you.  Our bodies are built for this.

Talk therapy:  I went to a therapist that pretty much gave zero advice to me that helped.  But...it allowed me to sit there and talk about the problem.  I always felt better after I had unloaded all my fears onto her.

All of these things served to slowly but surely make me less afraid of panic.  THAT IS THE KEY.  Once you stop dreading when the next panic attack is coming, they go away.  The meds help, too, because they can help give a feeling of contentment.  Panic cannot exist when you are having happy thoughts.

Good luck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 06:04:30 PM »
All great advice. Yesterday my anxiety was a bit elevated, but a friend of mine wanted to run to Starbucks and I had a few errands to run anyway. Naturally my mind began to wander, especially about the thought of adding coffee to my already high anxiety. The more I drove the better I felt, and just being out of the house doing things made me feel better as the day went on. Even drinking coffee didn't really affect me much, as I had basically forced myself to get out, do things, and not be cooped up in the house all day. I talked about anxiety with my friend, he admits it's hard to understand but is sympathetic about it. He found it ironic, as I was always the go to guy, the one people could talk about their problems with. He pointed out the irony that I've always given good advice for years and here I am now, facing this situation. It really did help me feel a lot better just to talk about the obstacles you face with anxiety and how it makes you feel.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MLB2805

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 09:25:02 PM »
All great advice! Acceptance is key! Accepting the anxiety and knowing it's not gonna hurt
You and just riding out the sensations.. Hope and help for your nerves
By Claire weeks and been there, done that,
Do this
By
Sam obitz helped me alot
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Tags:

anything