Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Wine for heart health alcoholic v. Non-alcoholic  (Read 158 times)

Offline hypo5150

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Wine for heart health alcoholic v. Non-alcoholic
« on: February 25, 2014, 12:18:30 PM »
Does anyone drink wine for heart health? I have been considering it. I drink zero alcohol and I have read it is not recommended to drink wine for people who don't already drink it.  Huh? I understand that wine should be consumed in light to moderate amounts for benefits, but is it going to be detrimental if I do start drinking it since I don't already drink it. 

Also, which is better non alcoholic or alcoholic? There is a study out that says non is better for lowering blood pressure but it doesn't say anything about cholesterol or anything.

Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
Re: Wine for heart health alcoholic v. Non-alcoholic
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 12:58:56 PM »
hi - i drink red wine, 1-2 glasses a night,  but because i like it, silver lining is the heart health benefit
i wouldn't start drinking if you don't drink now.
the benefits of wine are good, but if i didn't love wine, i wouldn't start now

or, do non-alcoholic wine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 01:03:04 PM »
My doctor told me that recent studies have shown that it's not the wine, but the alcohol, that provides the benefit.  I tried drinking wine for the benefits, for a while, but I hate the taste of alcohol.  I would drink 6 ounces out of a measuring cup each night.  It was truly a clinical approach to drinking, lol.  (I have since quit, couldn't stand it, and I'm taking other supplements that should do the same thing I was after, such as krill oil.)
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline Xocnagem

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Energetic
    Energetic
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 03:52:33 PM »
I also hear it's more the alcohol, not just the wine. I can't stand the taste of wine. I normally drink 1-2 beers a night, or every other night. It def helps with sleeping at night!
Bookmark and Share
God wouldn't give you anything you couldn't handle!

Offline hypo5150

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 06:11:36 PM »
I have a cardio appt next month. I will ask my doctor then.  Right now I have no risk factors for heart disease that I know of. I am thin, exercise fairly regularly, eat ok, and don't do risky things like smoke. I do have a family history of heart attacks, strokes, and blood pressure issues, though. I'm 33 so I wanted to get on top of things sooner rather than later.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: