Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Might be a shot in the dark...Work/Life Balance  (Read 164 times)

Offline Katiesue04

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • You only live once!
    • Poke This Member
Might be a shot in the dark...Work/Life Balance
« on: February 24, 2014, 12:01:02 PM »
I work for a very small company.  I am an architectural drafter...there are 2 other drafters that I also work with.  I have suffered from anxiety all my life but it has recently gotten really bad.  Last September I was officially diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder.  I am on zoloft 100 mg, buspar 15mg take it 3 times a day and trazadone at night for sleeping.  The main cause of my anxiety is work.  Here is my story.

So Dan the head drafter had an intestines transplant back in october.  Last week he was sent back down to the doctor in indiana.  He isn’t retaining water anymore and is dehydrated and they are trying to find out why.  Meanwhile second drafter Jeremy has completely shut down….he didn’t show up Friday because of bad weather(although everyone else made it in) and it’s now 11:00 am and he still isn’t in for the day yet(apparently they are now remembered he took the day off to look at ice caves)….I have been here every day for 43 hours a week since the beginning of the new year’s( had one sick day)…already have been putting overtime in and now Jim the head of the company came to me this morning and said would you like to do a little extra work from home after work hours(a couple more hours a night and some weekends).  I told him absolutely not.  He keeps asking me to think about it….I am completely overwhelmed the way it is being the only drafter who actually gets any work done.  I told him to hire another drafter.  Why should I be expected to do so much work when others don’t put in the effort.  He says that he is "trying" to look for another drafter but has been doing so since October...and right now the economy is down so there are more drafters out there then jobs available.  It should be quiet easy for him to find another one.  They are very good at manipulating me but I am trying my hardest to put my foot down.  Ugh this is so frustrating.  The thing is I don’t even need overtime…overtime is meant to be voluntary.  I don't even need this job my husband makes enough to support both of us.  They need me at work more than I need them.  I see a psychiatrist once a month and I am going to be starting therapy very soon.  Is it possible to get a doctors note stating I can only work 45 hours a week and no more.  Work is already effecting my health and I need them to realize I can work all these hours myself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Might be a shot in the dark...Work/Life Balance
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:26:32 PM »
If it was me I would get the doctors note.  He can't challenge the doctor's medical advice.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 04:25:35 PM »
Is it possible to get a doctors note stating I can only work 45 hours a week and no more.  Work is already effecting my health and I need them to realize I can work all these hours myself.

I'm sure your doctor or psychiatrist will write you one. However, I suggest it is only for 40 hours, maybe even less. If you make it 45 they'll probably have you working that many hours and still try and get you to do more. Your health is more important than any job! You should also point out that you're the only productive drafter they have so if you go down they are in deep trouble. Personally, I'd ask for a raise too.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Katiesue04

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • You only live once!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 06:30:32 PM »
Also said extra job is a big job.  It would take me a good 2-3 months to complete working extra hours on it.  It wouldn't take just a week.  They are taking advantage of me and I've had enough.  Thankfully I get to see my psychiatrist next Tuesday...
Bookmark and Share

Tags: