Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Struggling to process written information.......  (Read 126 times)

Offline TroubledSaint

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Struggling to process written information.......
« on: February 24, 2014, 03:34:35 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have been suffering from GAD for over twenty years, but I have only noticed recently, how it stops me from gleaning information from webpages, books etc.

I'm fine if I'm watching something, but if it's written down, it's like the words are in another language. I have no problems with reading, however........it just makes me feel so stupid :(

Is there anyway I can help myself to cut through the confusion?

Cheers :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Struggling to process written information.......
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 05:32:40 AM »
I think some people with anxiety struggle when it comes to reading books if they are really bad with anxiety. It is like a chore to them. A small book can seem twice as big. They find it hard to keep track and focus fully on what they are reading. At best you can just try and take your time with things. There is no mad hurry to finish a book. Set yourself a certain pace. Might be just a few pages a day. Even have a pen and paper handy. If you can, write down some of the things you find you are having trouble with. By writing them down you are taken in more information. If you do this for a while things might right themselves and then you might be able to ditch the pen and paper. Just don't rush things.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline TroubledSaint

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 08:12:21 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply. It's odd to explain when I'm reading. It's like my mind "itches" when I'm trying to take info in. almost as if the GAD hates me trying to settle and do just one thing. I've tried the note-taking side of things when reading. All I get is a page full of gibberish!
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 08:41:18 AM »
This may be all wrong, but I believe we can hurt our brain with the bulk of our attention on screens. Over time it perhaps can damage our brain diminishing our ability to focus, concentrate, absorb anything more than a tweet.

Part of my hope with meditation is to keep the old brain alive and well. Turn things off as much as possible and turn to beloved books. I put post-its in the back to reference key pages and thoughts.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: