Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of the future  (Read 97 times)

Offline SummerSun41

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of the future
« on: February 23, 2014, 10:39:54 PM »
I have no idea where it came from, but for a few weeks now, I've been dealing with a serious fear of the future. It seems like there are two sides of me: the side that is anxious and fearful and can't even plan events that I should be excited about, like going to try on wedding dresses and looking at potential houses; but then there is a normal, no anxious side of me that realizes that these fears are unfounded. I AM excited for my future and I know it'll be great (amazing fiancÚ, amazing family and friends, etc.). I just can't picture it right now and I know that's okay because it's uncertain.

The thing is, I cannot get over the fearfulness. Anxiety tricks me into believing that I won't be able to handle everyday stuff or a "real" job because I don't have one yet and have no idea what I want to do in that arena of life (funny since I've gone to college for almost 6 years now and already have one degree). I feel like I've lost a little of my optimism and approach everything with an anxious state of mind instead of a clear or unbiased mind. It's so frustrating! But I know I can get out of this because there are times during the day that I don't feel anxious at all, especially when I'm around my friends or family, at my current part time job, or in class/social situations. When I'm alone with my thoughts, it's the worst! I feel so different from normal people in those times and it's scary.

Part of it comes from having a bit of derealization for the past few weeks. I get a very unfamiliar feeling even when I'm in my own house and it fuels my anxiety and negative thinking, which I then project into my future as, "Well if I feel like this now under just a little stress, how am I going to feel when I actually have all these changes happen in my life or when I have to move out of my parents house for the first time, etc.?!"

I want so badly to be excited for these changes and my future in general, but anxiety is tricking me into being a scared little girl. I just want to know how to fix this and if there are any exercises I can do to reverse my thinking. I want to get back to the optimistic, happy-go-lucky girl that I used to be, because I know she's in there deep down! Any advice on how to deal with this issue is greatly appreciated!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of the future
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 12:00:51 AM »
"What if." two words that anxiety sufferers are all too familiar with. http://www.psychology-solution.com/anxiety/what-if this site gives a decent rundown of the issue, and why it happens. If nothing else, learning about it will help you understand whats going on.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: GAD future fear scared anxiety