Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Time to up my dosage of Sertraline?  (Read 149 times)

Offline appleshampoo22

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Time to up my dosage of Sertraline?
« on: February 23, 2014, 08:43:04 PM »
Hi all. Sorry I haven't been by in a while. I started taking Sertraline last September (25 mg for 7 days then up to 50 mg) and after some very, VERY brutal start-up effects, it finally started kicking in and I did pretty well from late November until this past week. I had some traveling to do for work and air travel is one of my biggest triggers and last Sunday I had an anxiety attack that kept me up all night. I made it through my travel week at work thanks to my Clonazepam (which I had weened off of in early December and only used sparingly when I knew I would get anxious), but I still feel like the anxiety is just under the surface and about to break through at any time. I had talked to my general practitioner when I started 50mg and told her that I suspected I may need to go up in dosage before too long, as I was on Effexor for several years in college and I had read that for people that start and stop SSRI's, it often takes higher dosages to reach the therapeutic effect. She said she was on board, but just to let her know when and if I decided to go up from 50mg. I think it may be that time. Does this seem appropriate to go from 50mg to either 75 or 100mg after only four months of usage? Should I start taking 75mg daily for a week then bump up to 100mg to make the transition a little smoother? I still have a couple refills on the Clonazepam, so I can utilize that to weather the storm of the transition, but I'd like to know if this is a good path forward. Thanks all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Time to up my dosage of Sertraline?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 09:01:02 PM »
If 50 mg has helped you already then you will definitely get much better results at 75 or 100 mg. Most people with anxiety disorders take 100 to 150 mg. You are on the lowest therapeutic dose right now, so going up should be your next step. I am currently on 75 mg.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 91
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Time to up my dosage of Sertraline?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 11:19:05 PM »
I think it may be that time. Does this seem appropriate to go from 50mg to either 75 or 100mg after only four months of usage?

Sure. You're probably getting about all you're going to get after 4 months. Most of those taking sertraline need 100-150mg for good results.

Should I start taking 75mg daily for a week then bump up to 100mg to make the transition a little smoother? I still have a couple refills on the Clonazepam, so I can utilize that to weather the storm of the transition, but I'd like to know if this is a good path forward.

Yes, even with clonazepam a week to ten days at 75mg would be preferable to going straight to 100mg. Prior antidepressant use may also trigger more severe side-effects when restarting antidepressants, or increasing their dose so the softly-softly approach is best, IMHO.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: