Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: For the young folks on this board  (Read 414 times)

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
For the young folks on this board
« on: February 23, 2014, 07:11:55 AM »
I just wanted to post this to explain something that actually may help.  I see many young people (as young as 13) posting things on here, freaking out about them and they are just normal things that happen to most human beings.  Nothing sinister, nothing strange, just things that happen to people.   I blame this rise in health anxiety on the internet.   When I was younger (I’m 55) and would get some weird symptoms.  Let’s take just one, if I was looking at something close for a while my eyes would go back and forth real fast, the first time it happened I was a young teen and knitting….  I had no Google, I had no internet, I asked my mom and she told me it was eyestrain and to put the knitting away for a while to rest my eyes.   That was it, it would happen periodically and I never gave it a second thought, it still happens.  However if I had access to the internet I’d be thinking it’s a brain tumor, some sort of seizure, etc!   All we did before Google was ask our parents or our friends, or a sibling, “Hey did this ever happen to you?”   9 out of 10 it did, or it happened to someone they knew and you’d forget about it.  There are MANY things I got for the past 40 years that I don’t give a second thought to – however, anything NEW I got since 2002 (when I got the computer) I freak out about due to looking things up for 12 years!  I stopped looking things up now but the damage has been done because after so many years of researching things I know the symptoms of everything.  So if you are young and just started this Googling phase of your life, please stop… go ask your mom or dad or sister or brother… or a friend or an older person on this board who probably already experienced almost every benign “odd” quirk of the body.   And if it keeps happening over and over to the point your quality of life is suffering then ask a doctor.  But don’t ask the internet, you will ruin yourself.  I don’t want to see so many young people ruining the best years of their lives.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fulloffear

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: For the young folks on this board
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 07:58:28 AM »
I agree :angry-smiley-034: no googling
Bookmark and Share
Stay strong!

Offline Lo213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 08:03:40 AM »
I, too, halve already done too much damage with googling. I wish I could un-google everything I've googled.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 08:42:14 AM »
Great post!
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 10:20:54 AM »
oh what great advice. thoughtful too. 

i'm 48 and i too wish i had  never discovered google. I stopped googling a long time ago, but like you said, the damage was done.  i had anxiety Google, or webmd, but the HA got much worse because of them.  it fuels the fire.

thanks sunlover for the post. younger ones, please take the advice.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bittersweetlife

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 10:27:20 AM »
Hey there! Really nice post! I just turned 20 few weeks ago and i was 18 when my Health Anxiety started! Well atleast you were lucky enough that back in your younger years Google did not exist yet! Yes! Google is the main reason why i am dealing with this situation but also Google brought me in this site which is a good opportunity to talk to those people who are also experiencing Health Anxiety!

I wish nothing but best of lucks for all of us!
Bookmark and Share
"There's a time & a place to die.. but this ain't it"

Hakuna Matata - "It means no worries"

“Anxiety's like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you very far.” - Jodi Picoult, Sing You Home

Offline Gemmaa0207

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 11:52:09 AM »
What a great post! I'm 21 and until I had iphone nearly 2 years I didn't give my health a second thought unless I was ill I saw a doctor and he diagnosed whatever was wrong etc. Since I have the access to the internet all the time it's like a viscous circle I also have a 18 month old boy so my overall protection of myself and him was heightened. Google is like the devil lol... If it wasn't for that I'd believe my dr eg. If I had a stomach bug I would have a stomach bug I wouldn't be questioning the doctor oh r u sure it's not cancer or soon so disease. One thing my therapist said which also effects people is public advertisement eg 20/30 years ago there was wide spread advertisements of aids/HIV but now it's cancer and guess what my anxiety isn't aids it's cancer! But 20/30 years ago peoples fear was aids. Hope that makes sense.
Bookmark and Share

Offline eddarun

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 12:58:47 PM »
so true! Google can and will turn ANY symptom into cancer! I have not googled a symptom for 5 months now and I feel a 100 times better:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline DahliaDollface

• Paranoid Parrot in female form.
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 11:23:57 PM »
I guess I'm an anomaly. I've had bad health anxiety since childhood and I don't think Google has made that huge of an impact on it. I was an extremely precocious child and anything odd that I felt I would first ask my parents (never had any friends and still don't) if they'd experienced anything like that and more often than not, I'd get a no and once I got that no, I was off to the library to try and figure out what was wrong. Google has only replaced books for me in that regard.  :(
Bookmark and Share
"Now head towards the light, the dark has no place here."

Offline colorlessideas

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 01:10:59 AM »
Dahlia, you aren't alone. I remember being scared of health concerns as a child too and not wanting to believe my parents no matter what. There have been famous hypochondriacs throughout history, for example, Darwin, Charlotte Bronte, who have used whatever they had as their "google."

I agree that the internet makes it easier to look up symptoms, and that that enables people who are not otherwise anxiety prone to become so. However, some of us are just determined to be health anxious, Google or no Google. But of course I'm working through it.
Bookmark and Share
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Offline PrinceOfWorry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 02:34:02 AM »
I agree with the original poster. I am 32 and have enjoyed severe health anxiety since I was 4. I never trusted doctors or any human being to be able to speak to me about my issues with any authority. Always feared doctors and my body. It hasn't ruined all those years, but it has polluted many bits of those years. I don't want to count those polluted bits when I am ancient and feel I had lost opportunities to embrace life. Live and be happy, all. Especially you young people for whom these ailments are so spectacularly improbable.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shuttterbug

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 10:51:18 AM »
You are so right Sunlover. I've always had hypochondria..well more like emetophobia (fear of vomiting) since i was a child. Fortunately that was it. As an adult (I'm 29), I've learned the horrible world of googling symptoms. It got particularly bad when I discovered a lump on my thyroid (a HUGE one) last year and had come to the conclusion that I had the worst type of thyroid cancer. Turns out it was a benign cyst..and it shrunk down so small i can't even see it anymore, . I have to always remind myself that these things are super rare. And that my endocrinologist told me that the media sensationalizes every cancer story so we all freak out. I have to keep reminding myself that today as I fear this back pain I'm having is something horrific (even tho i have no other symptoms). I hope to one day get therapy for this. Has anyone had success with that?
Bookmark and Share

Offline karachondria

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Obsessed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 01:52:32 PM »
This is really good advice I always find asking my mum solves everything. Googling is a hard habit to quit and I've been a hypochondriac since about age 9. At age 9 I used to ask my mum because I couldn't really use the computer much but then I got an ipad at 13 and everything went downhill from there googling is really the root to a lot of our problems on  this forum
Bookmark and Share

Tags: