Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What has been most effective for your GAD? Effexor or something else?  (Read 292 times)

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member

My only experience with anxiety was brief and work-related a while ago.  I used Klonopin for quick, short term relief.
Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) is newer to me.  I haven't yet seen a doc for an official diagnosis but that's what it
feels like to me.

For those who are doing their best to manage their GAD, what has been most effective?  Effexor seems to be mentioned often for GAD.
If you've used it, please tell me your experience with it.  Or if you've used other treatments, drug or non drug, please share that.  Thanks!   :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: What has been most effective for your GAD? Effexor or something else?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 05:40:31 AM »
Medication differs from person to person. What works well for one, might not work as well for the next person. It may take a few attempts before you find the right medication for you. That is why we all use doctors. It would be wrong to tell you to take anything. The one form of medication you mentioned didn't work for me. It made me worse. Yet it may have made others feel much better. That is how it goes. So I would suggest you go see a doctor and see what he has to say and take things from there.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 09:12:31 PM »
Thanks, Cuch.

That's helpful to know Effexor didn't work for you. And made you feel worse.  I am planning to see a professional very soon.  Of course I know different things work for different people.  I am just interested to hear what meds an individual has had good results with for GAD.  Just for anecdotal info. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 12:28:32 PM »
Hello, klonopin works for me. I was diagnosed with gad. I originally took Zoloft, remeron, and klonopin, all very low doses. Then, after a few yrs, tapered off remeron, and Zoloft. Now, just take .5mg klonopin once a day. Sometimes take a crumb of remeron for sleep, if needed. Ive tried to taper klonopin and see if I could do without, but so far, haven't been successful. Good luck to u.
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline CrazyCatLady

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 02:59:51 PM »
When you guys say 'doctor' do you mean a psychiatrist or a regular doctor? I currently see a regular family medicine doctor for my GAD but have been kicking around the idea of finding a psychiatrist. Do you think a pdoc is better than a regular doc?
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrazyCatLady

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 03:00:55 PM »
My apologies, I also forgot to include that I am currently on Venlafaxine XR (generic Effexor) and it's working well for me. Every person is different, like what Cuchculan said.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Momee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 04:04:50 PM »
Effexor XR is the only thing that I have found work for me. I have been on off up and down in dose for the last 12 yrs.....I just have to realize that when I am doing great to not mess with the dose. I did this recently and went back up to 150mg.....after going down to 75mg 6 weeks later I relapse big time. Now it has been 6 weeks since I went back up to 150mg and its a slow recovery, but it has always worked in the past. It is difficult to get off of, I won't try it again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 06:14:34 PM »
Thanks hikingchik, crazycatlady, and momee.

It''s good to hear first hand experiences with various GAD meds.  I've heard good things about Effexor, and I once used Klonopin for a short term situation but never for GAD. 

I'm thinking to go to an anxiety clinic which I know presents Cognitive Behavior Therapy as the center of treatment.  Though I do
hope they incorporate meds as needed.  I guess I'll go there and see.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 12
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 08:12:15 PM »
I've tried Celexa, Lexapro and Paxil.  Celexa is what works for me.  Both Lexapro and Paxil increase my anxiety.

I also have Xanax if needed.

The best combination for me is Celexa and seeing a psychologist for CBT.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: