Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Afraid of numb area on upper left back  (Read 175 times)

Offline matt1990

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Afraid of numb area on upper left back
« on: February 22, 2014, 01:21:46 AM »
I think for as long as I can remember I've had this small numb area on my upper left back. I notice it when my shirt is on, kinda feels like a shirt tag is rubbing against my back on that spot, but nothing is actually there. Today the sensation was driving me insane! I've never thought much about it until now. I came on hear and read some threads about MS and really started freaking out. Then I googled and the first result was that a numb spot on the upper left back can indicate many serious things such as MS and tumors. Another symptoms is I have been getting very fatigued lately in the early evenings even when I sleep in late. Oh and for the past year I've had twitching in my left big toe that occasionally just randomly starts and goes away on its own.

What should I do?
Bookmark and Share

Offline MissSteele

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Afraid of numb area on upper left back
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 02:26:03 AM »
 :action-smiley-065: Hi Matt1990! First of all, I hate to hear about this. I know how rough health anxiety can be. Your worries are magnified by what you are seeing and reading. I've been there. Most likely, it is nothing. But, I know me just saying that won't make you feel better, so schedule an appt with a trusted doctor. Tell them your concerns, they know what to look for and they can help ease your fears. Please stay away from symptom-checking on the internet. I know it's hard, but this is a MUST for people with health anxiety. It only does harm to you. The toe twitching- it's nothing. I have that all over my body, I have BFS which is just a term for benign twitching. Tons of people have it and it's not harmful in the least. It's often triggered by anxiety. As for your MS fear, it is a common one because MS symptoms are similar to anxiety's physical symptoms. It is a very, very rare chance you have it. But, if you do, you will still be fine. Most MS patients have normal lives. You are fine, just see a doc to reassure yourself!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lililanny

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 03:59:27 PM »
Hi there,
I actually had this too. Maybe i still do,...I haven't checked in a while.  Mine was on my upper back, along my spine. I noticed it one day when I was scratching and I realised that i couldn't feel myself scratching that area as much as I could in the surrounding area. I was getting back pain at the time too, so the GP referred me for an x-ray. The x-ray came back clear, and the back pain has subsequently gone. My GP did not seem worried at all. I was concerned that an x-ray doesn't show everything, but my GP reassured me that although an x-ray indeed doesn't show everything, if there was something like a tumour there, generally a shadow of some description would at least be seen. I never really got an explanation as to what was causing this numb spot, but I stopped worrying about it :) I hope you can too :)
Bookmark and Share
Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got - Graffito

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 06:31:51 AM »
Could you have possibly banged into something years ago (or fell on something (concrete step, rock, etc)?     My mother fell on steps in 2008 and hit her back, and she just said a few weeks ago, I have a numb spot on my back!  I asked where it was and she thought about it and said, "Oh!  It's where I hit my back!"   So that was it (I was in a car accident in 1984 and hit my head, a numb spot was there for YEARS.  Currently my right knee cap is numb, I don't recall ever hurting it but I must have because when I kneel I don't kneel on that knee, so I must have hurt it years ago, started favoring it, got in the HABIT of favoring it and still do even though there's no need to favor it now.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: