Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Costochondritis and Anxiety  (Read 184 times)

Offline Cheddix

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Costochondritis and Anxiety
« on: February 21, 2014, 06:21:23 PM »
I have this thing called costochondritis, which is the inflammation of the chest and is completely harmless itself, a heart attack is already ruled out and my chest xray looked fine as well as my ECG. I've been feeling shocking pains in my sternum and apparently according to my doctor, doesnt raise any red flags. It does however scare the crap out of me and it hurts a lot, I also get a poking pain in my throat. Anyone else had the combo of costo and anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Costochondritis and Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 06:52:57 PM »
I can't say for sure about what I've had, but I do know what heart pain feels like, cause I have a mitral valve prolapse that, while harmless, does act up a bit now and then. Heart pain does not feel like pain you'd expect. The easiest way to explain this is, if you can point to where it hurts, it's not heart pain. Its more like being squeezed or crushed all around your chest.
Bookmark and Share

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 10:08:46 PM »
Oh I have had this for some time. I was diagnosed with Fibro over 20 yrs ago. I did not have this until a few years ago when I was really under stress. IT comes and it goes A LOT now. Not comfortable. I know what you mean by the fact that you think it is heart related. If you can recreate it by pressing in certain locations it is not cardiac issue (this is what I have been told).
Bookmark and Share

Online famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 05:40:01 PM »
I was told the same thing that if you can push on a spot and replicate the pain you are having, it's not heart related.  I have a spot in the middle of my chest that has pain which comes and goes.  Sometimes it's nauseating.  It also radiates into my leg arm and into my upper back and neck.  Sounds just like heart attack symptoms, doesn't it?  It's really scary to experience,  I know.  Whenever it happens to me, even though I know what it is, I still get very anxious and concerned. 

A few things that help me is to try to relax.  Just get away from anything stressing you and relax.  Usually a hot bath with some chamomile tea helps me to relax and ease the symptoms a little.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Tags: costochondritis