Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?
Anxiety Forums & Chat Rooms

Going to try to switch from lexapro to pristiq

Offline 2sungo

• Personal text
Re: Going to try to switch from lexapro to pristiq
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2014, 09:54:07 PM »
Yep, Ian I wish we had a system here in the good ole US of A that would let me do that or something similar, but the only hospitals one could get into here for these kinds of issues are not the kinds of places that are filled with caring and considerate staff.   Now if I was a millionaire and didn't need to worry about insurance (and mine is good by US standards) there might be such a place, but not anything that my insurance would cover. 
I am very slowly inching up the remeron, literally the bigger half a pill and a crumb, I want to avoid what happened when I tried to take 15 mg at once.  Sleep was still not great yesterday, and I felt pretty awful this morning but still managed to get thru work, and felt better by the end of the day.  I did bite off maybe a third or more of a 10 mg propranolol pill this morning since I woke up with bp on the high side and a pulse of 100, I think it helped a little bit, and it wasn't enough to zonk me or anything like that.   I have to say that although pamelor was the med that first worked for me, it was not my favorite and I didn't like the fast heart rate and orthostatic effects on my bp with it, and it tended to make me angrier if I had cause to be angry.  I tried during my initial attack way back to get on some of the other TCAs but I never could get high enough, I did have significant anxiety and weird issues with them.  It took more klonopin to make the pamelor transition successful with a different doc when I came home from college back then. In my worst moments I fear that nothing is going to work, but then I remember I have had good days, and that time and external factors can affect this too, and maybe at some point it just kind of simmers down for a while.  Its just not been as simple as before, but I just have to persevere.  I did eat more for dinner today, so that may be a good sign, usually I eat more when I feel better.  Of course I will be careful if remeron makes me ravenous, but so far that is not an issue, maybe if it does at least I could get some quality sleep. 
I have to say I am really mad at the makers of pristiq, they really need to let folks know if their pills can be cut without disturbing the time release mechanism.  I suspect they can, its probably in a matrix of some sort, and a quick search of the net shows that people do do this, but it really is something the company should have researched or made statements on beforehand, since so many folks change antidepressants for many reasons, so surely they could have anticipated that people might have to discontinue their medication for whatever reasons.  Anyways, I am in no rush if I can hold it together and avoid another overly anxious weekend. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline ObiLaws

• Padawan
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Believe in the power of the mind
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2014, 10:29:05 AM »
Hey, I know this is slightly off topic and I apologize for that but I just wanted to drop in and say that I just started Lexapro yesterday and my GP started me on a small dose at 10ml (I take the liquid due to low-gag reflex) a day to hopefully avoid most of the side effects but I did spend most of last night awake with insomnia, which I recognize as a side effect of the lexapro, and I wanted to say that just going through this whole thread from beginning to end made the night a lot easier for me. I'm not entirely sure why, but it made the night feel like it was going a lot faster. So thank you very much :)

Cody
Bookmark and Share
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no death, there is the Force.

Online insights

• Mood: Curious
    Curious
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2014, 05:49:11 PM »
I just started Lexapro yesterday and my GP started me on a small dose at 10ml

That is the equivalent of a 10mg tablet, the full starting dose for those with depression, but it can be too high for some with anxiety. If you experience severe side-effects then consider dropping the dose to 5mg for 7-10 days, but ask your GP before doing so as there may be reasons why s/he wants you at the full dose immediately.

but I did spend most of last night awake with insomnia, which I recognize as a side effect of the lexapro

Lexapro can certainly trigger insomnia, but given this was your first night it could also have been the stress of being on a med, so I wouldn't read too much into it, Cody. If insomnia does become an issue ask your doctor to prescribe a small dose, 25-50mg, of trazodone.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline 2sungo

• Personal text
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2014, 10:28:17 PM »
Hi Cody, glad this thread was able to help you in some small way. I agree with Ian's assessment of Lexapro, though its insomnia effects on me in the past were not too bad.  I would also say that if it works for you it can be a really good medication, it was for me for about a decade at 10 mg or less during that time.  It didn't do so well this time around, but that doesn't mean it might not work again in the future, ADs are strange medicines that can "poop out" or need dose adjustments or switches from time to time.  I did sleep better last night than in quite a while, and today was decent as well.  I am taking just a bit extra remeron as advised by my pdoc, but didn't need any propranolol today.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Personal text
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2014, 05:32:02 PM »
its been a few days since I last checked in, but so far so good.  I am taking maybe 10 mg of the remeron at night, no change in anything else, and feel decent.  Pulse rate has come down quite a bit in the last few days, so something must be working.  I find that if I up the dose of remeron even the small bit that I am doing now, it can make me tired the next day, but my mood is good, and I feel calm.  I'm not entirely sure I want to go thru a complete transition to remeron and off of the pristiq, will have to see how I feel and what the pdoc thinks in a few weeks.  I do enjoy each day that I have peace from the anxiety/depression, I am learning to take it one day at a time.  Hopefully those damaged neurons are regrowing and healing, time will tell.
Bookmark and Share