Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Going to try to switch from lexapro to pristiq  (Read 4355 times)

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Going to try to switch from lexapro to pristiq
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 05:30:11 PM »
Doing less checking of bp as I am convinced it is alright for now, felt slightly down yesterday but nothing really bad, today was better at work, though I am tired. I seem to have gained a couple of pounds, I know my appetite has been strong, so I have to start watching what I eat.  Lex now at 10 mg, as I work my way down and off of it. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 08:52:39 PM »
Now nearing 2 weeks of Pristiq, lex is down to 10, will start alternating 10/5 for next week tomorrow.  Did not feel great much of day today, but took off work with my wife to drive relatives to airport (an annoying drive in the best of circumstances) and also drove rather far afterwards to pick up some stuff we needed.  Mood seemed variable today.  Wonder if that's coming down on the Lexapro, I would hope the Pristiq would have kicked in fully by now, its side effects are much diminished from the first few days I took it.  Is it the case that when taking a new med while tapering off another med it might take as long for the new med to work as if I were taking it after a long time without medication?  I guess I will have to wait and see.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 09:32:24 PM »
Is it the case that when taking a new med while tapering off another med it might take as long for the new med to work as if I were taking it after a long time without medication?

Maybe not as long, but some time, especially on the norepinephrine reuptake inhibition.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline 2sungo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 08:27:07 PM »
Another update on the Pristiq.  By now I am off Lexapro for about a week, I also cut my 4 oclock .25 klonopin down (not the morning .25 nor nighttime .5) to nothing for 2 days but took some crumbs today as I felt rather poor today.  Most days though have been pretty decent.  I have had some zaps when turning my head or walking around the afternoon, I am not sure if that is the lack of Lexapro or the fact that I reduced the 4 oclock klonopin.  I may go back to the .25 klonopin at 4 if I don't feel good again soon, today my mood wasn't great getting up, my stomach is bothering me, and I had some light headaches.  There were times I did feel better so I did venture out to mail a package and pick up some stuff at the grocery store.  The weather isn't helping, cloudy with rain, and my sister with the health problems has been in the hospital for over a week due to an intestinal obstruction that is probably a hernia type thing.  I haven't been too bad overall though, so I keep hoping for more good days.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 08:38:58 PM »
I haven't been too bad overall though, so I keep hoping for more good days

It is still early days and setbacks can be expected, however, it does seem that you're making progress. Just keep hanging in there.  :happy0151:

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Shurl102

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 09:35:57 AM »
I've been switching from 40mg Lexapro to 50 mg Pristiq the past 3 weeks.  It's been rough.  I've had angry outbursts, anxiety, racing thoughts & plenty of crying moments.  Wondering if this is a good decision.  We didn't think Lexapro was working hard enough at keeping my anxiety at bay.

This what my pARNP suggested I try.   She's sending me to one of the pdocs in her office for a second opinion over all my meds.  April 11th can't come soon enough. 

Bookmark and Share
Shurl

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 04:50:32 PM »
Wondering if this is a good decision.  We didn't think Lexapro was working hard enough at keeping my anxiety at bay.

Your Lexapro dose was double the maximum, so if it still wasn't working then your options were limited. Switching to another SSRI might have been easier, but if others have failed in the past then trying a SNRI was a good call.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 06:42:18 PM »
Thanks Ian, alas today wasn't much better.  I did take some more klonopin a bit around noon and about 2.3 of a .25 at 4, as I had some troubling anxiety symptoms today.  First I had night sweats around 4 or 5 in the morning, they went away.  So I got up at 7 went to the couch and sort of zoned out there after eating a little bit for breakfast and taking the pristiq and various supplements (fish oil, deplin (which I am alternating every other day as it costs so much and I don't know if its doing anything), coQ, and vit D) plus the usual .25 klonopin.  Had the arm tingles, lots of stomach gurgles and not happy stomach feelings, then later on during the day I get light headaches and eyeaches, could be sinuses, who knows.  When I ate lunch when a couple of friends came over the stomach felt better but not great, so I just had yogurt for dinner.  I also have felt cold all day, but it is a damp cold day anyway. Got a little upset a bit ago, ie teary for a bit, over the frustration of just trying to move past this once and for all.  I hope adding back in the four oclock dose of klonopin will take care of it, otherwise it must be from coming off the lex a week ago, maybe I needed it with the pristiq or I need more pristiq which would risk more side effects, or maybe I need more time to get used to not having lex in my system--though I thought the taper while taking Pristiq would have prevented any problems.  My bp was on the high side when I checked last but that could be because I was not feeling great, I can't tell what is due to Pristiq vs what is due to anxiety/depression.  I should be better at work tomorrow, and will try to get better sleep, we were up a bit later than planned both nights this weekend, so that didn't help.  I was glad the company came over though, and my sister sounds a bit better today but it will be a while before she is out of the hospital.  I feel like I shouldn't have to need klonopin if the damn ADs would work as they have before but I guess I do need it and am not ready to reduce it (and its not exactly high at 1 mg total per day).  I hope it is just another setback and I will have some great days this week again. 
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 07:47:37 PM »
deplin (which I am alternating every other day as it costs so much and I don't know if its doing anything)

I'm not convinced that Deplin is significantly more effective than other folate supplements, and the evidence for folates isn't that strong anyway, IMHO.

or maybe I need more time to get used to not having lex in my system--though I thought the taper while taking Pristiq would have prevented any problems

It may be easing them, but getting the balance right between two ADs is difficult as there is so much difference in individual responses to each that some problems are almost inevitable.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 04:15:31 PM »
Well today was kind of a disaster, I had major sweating problems last night, felt very anxious when I got up, bp already up but when I got to work (school) I was so keyed up I was working on something with another teacher then forgot my first class.  I also had major stomach pains last night which morphed into chest and back pains when I was getting up.  Ended up with my friend walking me to the nurse, she took my bp (I was quite upset by this point, a mix of anger, frustration, and teariness) and it was 160/100!  Later it came down significantly, but not quite to normal while I was there.  Got an emergency apt with my pdoc and was taken there, she told me to up the Pristiq to 100 mg and take more klonopin to keep the pressure down, which she felt was due to anxiety.  Other options were to take 5 mg lex on top of it but she didn't think that was a viable solution in her experience, and to consider taking remeron to help with sleep and supplement the activity of the Pristiq.  She felt for now the cleanest option was to take more Pristiq b/c it did help initially when I took it while still on lex, and many of her patients take 100 anyway, a few higher.  I told her I was scared and really frustrated, but I guess I need to keep trying.  If my bp gets nuts I can always go to an emergency room I guess, and it is most likely due to anxiety anyway.  A curious thing I noticed is that when I did get emotionally upset, the stomach pain tended to go away, its like this illness seems to find either a physical or mental way to torture me, but not necessarily both at the same time.  I also took an extra .25 klonopin in her office, it made me sleepy as I waited for my wife to come get me, and when I got home my bp is still high but not ridiculous.  After eating lunch late my stomach seems to have calmed down at least for now, a bit of a headache and eye ache but I am hanging in there.  Will try again tomorrow, I have to take both Pristiqs at the same time when I get up.  I really hope it works, and I know it might be a few days, she told me of a patient for which 50 did nothing and then that one felt much better on 100 within less than 2 weeks.  This stuff is so complicated, I wish there were easy answers. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything