Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Sore calf  (Read 107 times)

Online famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Sore calf
« on: February 20, 2014, 04:56:21 PM »
I'm trying not to let this work me up but since it's been going on all day, it's starting to get to me.  I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this same thing.

First of all, this is something I have experienced off and on for the past year.  It seems to occur once or twice a month. 

I woke up this morning and my legs felt fine.  However, by mid-morning, my right leg calf started to feel like it was going to cramp up.  Sort of like a charley horse is going to come on but never does.  Once I start to move my leg around it stops.  After I sit for a short while and then get up, I feel it again.  There is no redness, swelling or heat. 

Last month I had the same pain in the same leg, same spot.  I also had it in my thigh and it also happens in my other leg at times.  The leg that is bothering me today also gives me a slight ache in the buttock area when sitting. 

My concern is possibly a blood clot because I have the blood disorder (Factor V Leiden).  I'm a half carrier, I guess you call it.  My father had a blood clot in his leg that moved into his lungs but luckily they were able to dissolve it in time.

The majority of me feels like this isn't a blood clot because it hurts each month at different times and my leg doesn't hurt to flex it or anything.  But, there is another part of me that is starting to overtake the "reasoning" me and telling me to worry that it could be a blood clot.  I just don't want this to consume my mind and turn into a major anxiety situation.

I was just at the doctor's office last week for a different pain issue I was having in my chest and upper back and I don't want to have to go there again for now another thing.

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing before and if so, what causes it?  I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my monthly cycle.  It is mid-month for me so my hormones are probably starting to change.  I have experienced both legs doing this while on my period in the past.

I hope this makes sense. 
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sore calf
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 05:01:21 PM »
That sounds SO familiar!  Is it like in the back of the calf in the middle "fatty" part?  I don't know what causes it (I always thought I "did" something to strain the muscle) - I doubt it has anything to do with your period.

NOT a blood clot for sure.  A blood clot would be really bad pain constantly, swollen and red.
Bookmark and Share

Online famv5

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 05:24:38 PM »
Thank you SO much for your quick response.  I really appreciate it. 

I started Googling and that's not good.  Of course, entering in all of my symptoms returns blood clot or DVT.  Sigh.

So, if it were a blood clot, it would hurt constantly, right?  My calf actually hasn't hurt for the past 15 minutes but I feel an ache in my right foot and thigh.  Weird.

Yes, you were spot on as far as where the pain is felt.  It's in the middle "fatty" part.  I took an aspirin just to be on the safe side. 

I can feel my anxiety level has increased because I'm a little jittery and feel a little nauseous now.  I wonder what causes this.  Maybe it's just an age thing.  I'm 45.

Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 06:38:56 PM »
I am five yrs older than you.
I have had a blood clot in my leg. My leg was red, hot swollen and I could barely fit my foot in a shoe.
I was dragging my leg.
I have MTHFR which is another version of a clotting disorder.
What you probably have is trigger points that are reflective from pain in your feet. I get this often.
Bookmark and Share

Online famv5

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 06:47:14 PM »

My leg hasn't been bothering me until I stand up and walk.  Then I feel it but it comes and goes depending on which way I move.   Once I feel it, I just try to stretch my leg and the pain subsides but then gets that re-tightening feeling again a little while later.  I also feel sort of a pulling pain on the outside of my thigh on the same leg when I'm sitting. 

Thank you for your post.  These help me so much!  I still feel anxious but being on here keeps me from Googling.
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 06:57:20 PM »
Google is your enemy.  I have learned that the hard way!

It just sounds like a pulled or strained muscle in your calf, that's all.  You may have twisted it wrong when walking or stepping and didn't notice it at the time (muscles usually will start hurting the next day) - absolutely, definitely NOT a blood clot.

Bookmark and Share

Online famv5

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 08:12:45 PM »
Thank you SO much for all of your replies and so quickly.

I am feeling better about this and I'm so glad I have found this forum.  It makes me feel good to help out others on here and have them help me.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: