Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Blood clot in brain  (Read 247 times)

Offline Waffles

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Blood clot in brain
« on: February 19, 2014, 08:15:38 PM »
About 2 weeks ago, I noticed one evening my right temple was throbbing/pulsating. It only lasted a few seconds, so I didn't give it another thought. Over the next few days, I would be sitting at my desk reading or walking to my office, and I'd notice the throbbing in my temple. Weird, but I mostly  ignored it.

I made the mistake of Googling what caused a throbbing temple, and I had a full-on panic attack. I was sobbing in my office, shaking. I couldn't see straight. I couldn't even form a thought. Of course, everything said it was very dangerous, can be the sign of a blood clot forming in your brain, is one of the symptoms of several "silent killer" diseases and needs immediate attention.

I feel lots of pressure in my right temple. The throbbing/pulsating still occurs and is sometimes slightly painful now. Areas of my scalp near the right temple have been getting twinges. I tried for days to convince myself it was a sinus issue (I had dealt with a cold recently), but I have zero sinus pressure anywhere else. When I bend over, it doesn't elicit the throbbing or pain, which tells me it's not a sinus problem.

I am greatly concerned because it's only happening on my right side, and it's happening right over my temple. The thing is-- I'm not having any headaches at all. One of the reasons I was able to calm myself earlier in the week was by reassuring myself that a blood clot forming would bring a severe headache (I think?)

Do you think I have a blood clot forming?
I don't know what to do anymore. I literally *just* went to my doctor last Friday for a ridiculous anxiety-related issue, and I will honestly feel like a fool to show up there again. It's a small office, and I feel like they're all judging me for this.

Should I just go to the ER? Would you?
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Blood clot in brain
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 08:22:22 PM »
I have this occasionally.  Nothing to be concerned about it.  I think it's the muscles twitching.  When we have anxiety, we often tend to tense up our jaw muscles without realizing it.  There's a muscle connected to the jaw that runs right through the temple.

If you had an aneurysm, you would know it.  The pain is excruciating.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Waffles

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 08:26:56 PM »
I have this occasionally.  Nothing to be concerned about it.  I think it's the muscles twitching.  When we have anxiety, we often tend to tense up our jaw muscles without realizing it.  There's a muscle connected to the jaw that runs right through the temple.

If you had an aneurysm, you would know it.  The pain is excruciating.

I know that actually having it start bleeding/rupture would be excruciating, but what if this is how it feel when it's just there forming or growing bigger?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kindra11

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 01:59:15 AM »
I get this same pain, and it's from clenching my teeth or not holding my jaw properly. It's very common in people with anxiety :) try massaging your temple and scalp above your ear it should help.
Bookmark and Share
Broken, But Not Destroyed

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 02:21:28 AM »
I get the same symptom in moments of high anxiety as well. You have to stop, breath deep, and relax your face  neck, and shoulder muscles. The tension from stress is pulling on your scalp and can cause what you're describing.

Also, aneurysms rarely give any symptoms at all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NightBlizzard

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Just Breathe
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 03:53:50 AM »
I am in almost the same boat as you sweetie. For the past few weeks I have had pressure in my right temple with some pain here and there and have only recently come to terms with the fact that it is more than likely NOT a brain aneurysm or blood clot or something of that nature.

- For one, usually speaking there will be no symptoms when one is forming.
- Two, when one 'leaks' (usually a few days before a rupture you will be in intense pain, like, worst-headache-of-your life.
- Three, generally speaking - when something like that is the cause of your pain it will not come and go. It will be more or less constant. This is true of brain tumor's also, when the symptoms occur they will not get better, they will usually not go away, they will be there to stay, and get worse.
- Four, if you've had it for as long as you say (two weeks) than you should rule out an clot or something like that because again... by the time it shows symptoms (if it does at all) it will present itself in a more severe manner.

I've come to the conclusion that for my situation I believe that tension in my shoulders/neck is what is causing the issue. As tension in the shoulders, neck, jaw, ect. can give you headaches, pressure, ect. For example - put your finger where your temple is and clench your jaw, can you feel the muscle tensing up? Even if you don't 'feel tense' you can still 'be tense' if that makes any sense! That holds especially true for us HA sufferers, while our minds are subconsciously racing about our issues, our body's get tense as we get anxious and that just becomes a vicious cycle.

I know I had a hard time (and still having a hard time) accepting that the symptoms I have are 'home-grown' but just give it some thought. Try relaxing yourself, do yoga, get a massage, rest up on the weekends, do things that you enjoy, get a cushion for your computer chair, and whenever you feel the pressure or the pain - don't panic! Try and be as calm as you are able and tell yourself, 'I am fine.' It will take some time, but  it is worth it. Also if you have someone who understands and knows you suffer from HA, maybe talking to them about it sometimes can also help. I know that when I get stressed usually I start crying and talk to a friend or family member about my fear, they help be through the panic attack and than I feel a TON better.  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
"Grant that my hands be steady, my aim be true, and my feet swift. And should the worst come to pass - grant me forgiveness"

Tags: