Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Afraid anxiety will make me lose my job  (Read 148 times)

Offline Isabeau

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Afraid anxiety will make me lose my job
« on: February 19, 2014, 03:14:08 PM »
Hi Guys!

I haver been a reader on this site for quite some time without ever posting, but today i need to vent to some people who might understand me.
I am 25 years old, I am french so my english might not be flawless. I moved to Canada 5 years ago alone and i have been suffering from anxiety ever since.
Whats bring me today is my situation with work... I have a good paying job, most of the time its also interesting and I love my coworkers. Overall I really enjoy my job and these are hard to come by! The only issue i have is the shift i`m currently working. Its from 1:30 to 11:30 PM. Which isn't that bad, except that with my anxiety,good sleep is hard to get and my natural pattern is more to go to bed early and wake-up early. But with this shift, i usually im home around 1 AM if im lucky (I leave far from work and don't have a car). So I arrive at 1AM and usually get in bed around 2 (time to shower etc.). But my boyfriend has to wake up at 6 for his job, and because im already anxious not to get enough sleep, my sleep is very light and i very rarely manage to go back to sleep after 6. So this gives me 4 hours of sleep for a 10 hours shift plus commute, 14 hours day. Let me tell you my friends, it is not enough. So i`ll make it 1 day, 2 days, 3 days but usually by the 4th i am so exhausted i call in sick (like today). But instead of relaxing on my sick day, i am in complete panic that i`ll end up getting fired because of my absenteeism and I feel really ashamed missing work, especially to my family.

So far, management at my company has been really understanding about that and i have explained the situation to them. But i mean one day, it`ll just be too much... I also told them that the schedule isnt working for me, but because of seniority i am pretty much stuck doing that shift and I understand...

I have brought up this issue to doctors but they will just trow a prescription at me and send me on my way. So far I got prescribed Zopiclone and Trazodone, tried each of them once, i feel terrible the following day.

I started CBT too which i love but didnt really help the sleep issue yet (Just started) and im thinking of buying melatonin today, give it a try!

So here`s my rant, feels good to vent. Thank you all for reading and suggestions if you have some!

Bookmark and Share

Offline Mindquake

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Afraid anxiety will make me lose my job
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 12:34:41 AM »
I hate that you have to worry about this, and that the doctors just throw medicine at the problem. 

Sometimes when I need to fall asleep in a hurry I read a book I'm not very interested in.  That works for me, but then I'm a LOT older, and I've also spent a lifetime reading myself to sleep, so I think it's like a conditioned response.  Some of these newer ebook reader devices turn themselves off and keep your place, so I find that very convenient.  I just have to make sure I'm not too close to the edge of the bed where I could drop the reader and break it and startle myself awake. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Isabeau

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Afraid anxiety will make me lose my job
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 11:05:40 AM »
Thank you so much for your answer Mindquake!

Yeah its true sometimes books work... But it has to be a specific kind of book haha! Nothing too exciting... last night I tried crosswords and Sudoku to get back to sleep after 6 AM and it kinda worked... But then sometimes the anxiety is just to strong (Ironically that i wont be able to get some sleep at all) and there seems to be nothing that can be done to calm me down... Anyways i have an eReader too so i`ll download so good old french classic literature (If its more than 100 years old, its free), that should do the trick!! I will definitely try!

Thank you again, have an excellent day!!  :action-smiley-065:

Isa
Bookmark and Share

Tags: