Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: For those of you who are pregnant -  (Read 204 times)

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
For those of you who are pregnant -
« on: February 19, 2014, 01:17:41 PM »
I'm curious as to your HA. Did it increase upon getting pregnant? I'm curious because my husband and I are thinking about having our 3rd and final child soon. I guess I shouldn't be afraid. One of the things I fear is being pregnant and THEN getting diagnosed with something horrible, and not being able to do anything about it because I'm pregnant. I'm very pro-life, so there's no way I'd terminate a pregnancy, so it's a big step and it's going to take a lot of faith to decide to get pregnant again. I shouldn't be afraid, in the past 4 months I've had the following tests done - all normal/negative by the way:

Chest xray
Abdominal xray
Colonoscopy
Breast ultrasound x2
Abdominal ultrasound x2
CBC x6
Metabolic panels x3
C-reactive protein blood test - checks for inflammation in the body. Typically increases with infection or cancer
LDH blood test - Also checks for inflammation in the body.
Blood tests for lupus
Blood tests for rhumatoid arthritis
Stool cultures
Cholesterol blood test
Thyroid blood tests
H. pylori stool test
Celiac disease blood test

...and I'm sure there's more. But those are the biggest ones I can think of right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chantelle

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Re: For those of you who are pregnant -
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 01:27:25 PM »
It increased then decreased my last pregnancy. I just found out I'm pregnant (woohoo!) and am only 6 weeks. This last week was horrible for anxiety! I was anxious all the time and very nervous. Now it seems to have subsided and I'm a lot calmer.

My BIG worry now is catching the flu. It terrifies me that 90% of flu cases this year are H1N1 and now that I'm pregnant I think my fears just escalated double :(  I caught the flu with my first pregnancy and I felt like I was hit by a mac truck...but it wasn't H1N1. So it's safe to say  I've been a basket case on and off ever since.

I will say that mid pregnancy I kind of felt like I had a protective "bubble" around me and stopped worrying about developing some terrible disease. That was a good thing!

It looks like you have had a lot of tests. How brave! If you don't mind me asking, why so many CBC's? If your bloodwork came back normal I wouldn't worry one bit. That's usually the first place they look for problems.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 01:34:31 PM »
Well regarding the CBCs -

I had a physical in September, and as part of a physical, they ordered a CBC.
Then in October I experienced prolonged diarrhea, so my doctor ordered a CBC.
Then about a week later, I was in the ER with what I thought was a heart attack, but really was an anxiety attack. They drew a CBC in the ER.
Then in December I was worried about leukemia, so when my endo (thyroid dr - I have hypothyroidism) ordered my routine thyroid blood work, I asked him to order a CBC as well.
Then in January my gastro wanted a CBC because my platelet count was mildly low on the last two. He sent me out to a hematologist - hence the 6th CBC that was normal.

Phew! Turns out - according to my hematologist who drew even MORE blood work - I have an antibody where my immune system attacks my platelets. So I guess the only thing, as of right now, that would effect my pregnancy is the increased risk of bleeding during delivery. Oh yeah - and my thyroid. I've had 2 successful pregnancies and deliveries with both of these conditions already - we just didn't know about the platelet antibody at the time, and I had a c-section! Oh! And after my c-section, I had a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) and I had a placenta abruption during labor, but still succeeded with a VBAC.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Allytiel90

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 01:38:28 PM »
Um I would say way worse since i am totally convinced I have lymphoma and just found out I was preg (accident) on Sunday. All I can think is, I don't want to have to choose between my life and my child's. My husband has already made the decision for me if it comes to that, but I don't want to think about it. This feels kinda like a nightmare. I wish I could be excited. I've re ally been wanting another baby.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 01:48:01 PM »
Ally - How many do you have now? And lymphoma should show up on your blood work when you go in for your initial appointment. Why don't you ask them if they can do a c-reactive protein blood test as well? They use that blood test to check for lymphoma and monitor it if you are diagnosed with it. At least you will know either way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kmm110

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 04:13:59 PM »
My anxiety has increased significantly since I found out I was pregnant (I'm 6 1/2 weeks). I am also afraid that during the pregnancy I will be diagnosed with something horrible and not be able to receive treatment for it! I am also weaning off Zoloft so that is a factor I am sure. My first pregnancy ended in a miscarriage two years ago so I am freaked out about that as well. It's going to be a LONG 8 more months but I do believe it will be worth it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Allytiel90

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 05:26:53 PM »
I have 1 daughter. In the past 6 months I have had:

Full metabolic blood panel
CBC with differential
Celiac disease test
Thyroid panel
Stool samples
4 pelvic ultrasounds (during my ovarian cancer fear) 2 internal, 2 external
1 full abdominal ultrasound  including liver, spleen, pancreas, etc....
Chest X-ray.
Doc has checked nodes thoroughly at least 3 separate times

I just know it's not enough. The full CBCs and all that were about 6 months ago. Most recent is the chest X-ray.
I sweat at night (4 months) and am itchy at times. My skin is also killer dry so I don't know if it's due to that. I don't have big swollen nodes but I have 2 pea sized ones in the groin that have been there for I don't know how long.also getting over a cold and have one swelling in my neck. That's freaking me out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brooke2288

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 07:59:02 PM »
I'm 31 weeks pregnant with twins and my HA has been very bad at times during my pregnancy and also very good at times. I have a lymphoma fear and I have recently felt a few nodes in my groin. I keep trying to tell myself that everything is fine considering I see my OB doctor once a week because I'm a higher risk pregnancy. I've had a CBC done twice since being pregnant and the second time my wbc was 10.8 and 10 is the high end of normal, so of course that freaked me out. My doctor said that's completely normal during pregnancy and the 10 being the high end isn't taken into consideration for pregnant women. I actually am very concerned about what my HA will be like after my girls are born....
Bookmark and Share

Tags: