Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: How do you fight the temptation to google?  (Read 198 times)

Online bpadilla49

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How do you fight the temptation to google?
« on: February 18, 2014, 11:43:36 PM »
Ok, so I'm the girl that was a patient at a cancer center (for those of you that have read that post).

During my last appointment last week, I had blood work done two weeks prior, which is what we were discussing that day. My doctor was mainly testing for auto immune diseases such as platelet antibodies, rhumatoid arthritis, and lupus. It turns out I do have a platelet antibody where my immune system attacks my platelets. No biggie.

However, on my CBC - that looks at white blood cells, red blood cells, platelets, lymphocytes, ect. - my neutrophils were off by 1 point. They were 1 point higher then what they should be, and the neutrophils are a white blood cell.

The day I got the blood work done, my son and husband were sick with the stomach flu, and about 12 hours after getting the blood work done, I woke up with the stomach flu (yay us!).

Anyway, at my doctor appointment, my doctor didn't even want to do a follow up CBC. She said it was one point higher then where it should be, and the rest of my CBC was completely normal.

I even spoke with another doctor online that said I absolutely should NOT be worried about this, and it was more then likely slightly elevated because my body was exposed to an infection - the stomach flu.

However, right now, I can't keep from thinking that this was the beginning of leukemia or something. I haven't googled it yet, and I am trying my hardest not to, because I'm sure it will bring up scary instances, such as leukemia.

How do you fight the temptation to google?
Bookmark and Share

Offline rileybug

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How do you fight the temptation to google?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 11:53:26 PM »
I just stay on this board/anxiety boards.  I dont need any other symptons put in my head.  I already have enought symptons going on.  I find the only google i use is craigslist.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mmhhmm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 12:24:53 AM »
I agree to just stay on this site. No good can come of googling. You know it will only cause anxiety and more fears. So do your best not to google.

I know one of my biggest challenges is accepting what my doctor says when I have a fear about a certain disease. Google has never made me feel better though. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 12:49:15 AM »
I don't use google for anything. I hardly even use it for school work, I was tired of each and every site or reference would be slightly different.

That stopped me real quick.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline SillySalmons

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 02:43:11 AM »
I ask myself if I have a good reason to be worried, and then think of why I might be worried - am I really sick? How long have I felt sick? Is there a specific problem that isn't going away? Is this a normal problem that I've had before or that lots of other people have? Has there been any noticeable change in my habits? If I do think there's a reason to be worried and still don't know if I should see a doctor, I call my insurance company's nurse hotline. The nurses are always friendly and very informative, and they let me know when it sounds like I need to be evaluated. Getting advice from a professional who is there specifically for that purpose really helps me calm down. It's one thing when you go to the doctor and they rush you through the appointment because they have other patients, but with the hotlines there's no pressure, and they're only there to help you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 05:48:11 AM »
When you realize that Googling  brings you nothing good it gets easier. I managed to stop yesterday during a search. I had a compulsion to Google, started searching, but after few minutes realized this isn't helping at all, my rational mind kicked in and I stopped.

You are fine btw. Your blood work was off a bit because of the virus, it's completely normal.

My suggestion is to use this sitr instead of Googling. You will get rational responses here which you can't produce by yourself because of anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 06:08:50 AM »
Well, let me tell you something.  Once when I had blood work done the doctor called and said everything was good except my white blood cells were a little up, I said, "2 days after I had the blood work done I got a bad cold, would that do it?"  He said, "That's it!"  (this was about 25 years ago and I'm very healthy (physically... mentally is a different story :spineyes:)
So no need to google, your virus DEFINITELY put that cell count up.  A virus enters the body, the white blood cells ramp up trying to kill it off - sometime they succeed and sometimes they don't (that's when we get sick)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 07:40:23 AM »
Honestly, taking the low dose of abilify has stopped me from obsessively googling.

And as far as a slightly elevated WBC, I had a slightly elevated WBC for about a year and it didn't bother my doctor. When I got a UTI and took antibiotics, the slightly elevated WBC went away so I might have had a very mild infection. Your stomach virus most likely raised your WBC.

Also remember that test numbers are baseline normal. Not everyone is baseline normal. A few points over the line is not a big deal as several points above the line.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 07:56:34 AM »
I don't - trying to fight it just makes it more difficult. Instead, I google and look for the *most likely* answers, rather than the worst possible ones. If your symptoms are either from the flu or a brain-devouring parasite found primarily in Mongolian steppes, then its probably the flu.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 09:15:32 AM »
I don't use google for anything. I hardly even use it for school work, I was tired of each and every site or reference would be slightly different.

That stopped me real quick.

You know what?  That is SO true!   And I won't even say "slightly" different, some sites diametrically oppose others!  I had started taking Flaxseed oil and I wanted to know if it boosts the immune system because since I started taking it I haven't even had a cold... so I googled, "Does flaxseed oil help the immune system?"  And one of the first sites that came up said how it actually SUPPRESSES the immune system and may raise your risks of certain cancers.   I immediately thought, "OK, I'm spilling those dang pills out!"  But something made me check the NEXT site and you know what it said?  It said that Flaxseed oil is a great immune booster and may protect against many cancers!  I find this to be true a lot (but for some reason when it came to health things if 20 sites said a symptom was anxiety or menopause and one said "possible cancer"  I'd freak out and that one lone site would repeat itself in my head.  I too stopped googling unless I google specifics, like, "Can anxiety make your foot tingle?"   THEN I get only sites confirming that.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: