Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Think I'm Finally Getting Somewhere Guys.  (Read 283 times)

Offline gvjaguar

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Think I'm Finally Getting Somewhere Guys.
« on: February 18, 2014, 09:49:57 PM »
Hey everyone, I want to first thank everybody for helping me during my recovery process so far. I am so thankful and grateful for the community of you guys and I vow to tell everyone my story once I overcome anxiety.

So I believe I'm narrowing down on my issue and I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think I have a pinched nerve in my upper back because I have some pain in between my shoulder blades pretty much on and off throughout the day. Sometimes if I sleep with my head tilted up to far, my shoulders and arms will go numb until I wake up and shake them out. Here's the thing that makes me think it's a pinched nerve: If I bend way over (arching my back) all of the muscle twitching in my legs, thighs, calves, knees, ankles, feet, lower back, shoulder, etc. ceases and I feel calm and no pain.

Now, I've been weightlifting for a couple years now and know for a fact I've been lifting improperly = too much weight, bad form, which has placed an enormous amount of stress on my back. I've torn my shoulders before in the past, as well as strained my triceps. Also, whenever I yawn sometimes, I can feel vibrations in my chest and shoulders until my yawn is done. In addition, sometimes I can make my left buttock/thigh vibrate if I pull it to my chest when I'm sitting in the right position.

I've been wearing a back brace that's definitely helped cut down on some of the twitching during day activities but until I can lay on my chest with a pillow there, the twitching stops at bed time. I know none of you are doctors, but from this anecdotal evidence, would this support the notion that there could a pinched nerve somewhere? It certainly makes sense. I'm deathly afraid of catching ALS at 21 and when I manipulate my body to stop the twitching I feel so much relief.

One other note, I have visual static in my vision which is better some days, and worse others. It all started three years ago during a very stressful time period in my life in which I thought I knocked up a girl in college I met one night (stupid, I know.) Although nothing ever became of it, I was very stressed out and in constant state of panic for those few months which did a number on me. Visual static is not indicative of ALS right? Because it does not affect sensory perceptions? Thanks for everyone helping me out and taking the time to read this. I appreciate all of your input.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Think I'm Finally Getting Somewhere Guys.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 09:13:07 AM »
Sorry to bump, thoughts anyone?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 09:36:16 AM »
Visual static is definitely not ALS!
You kind of helped me with MY issue!   I had been having weird internal "shivers" in my legs (from butt on down, mostly left leg, sometimes right and sometime just in calf, and tingly right calf in the back when I sit in a hard chair - I noticed this all started after several snow storms and I had been doing a LOT of shoveling!    We had one of the snowiest winters in my memory.  Our property is on a little incline and when I'd throw the snow I'd have to sling it upward, the mound got higher each time.  With you saying you were lifting weights improperly this reminded me shoveling - I do it all wrong, I pick up heavy shovelfuls, I twist at the waist slinging it sideways... everything they say not to do I do because it's faster.

And you saying you  feel vibrations when you yawn.  I don't have that, but on the same order, I'll get that weird internal leg shiver if I scratch my stomach or rub my head!  (not EVERY time, but 50% of the time) - of course I'm here like a monkey rubbing my stomach and scratching my head all the time to keep "testing" it! ::)
Do you keep yawning even when you don't have to, to test it?   :happy0151:

And by the way?  ALS does NOT present with all over body twitching.  I've had a twitch in my right arm, left thigh and INSIDE my ear all at the same time.   Don't worry about the twitching.

As far as visual static, which is known as "visual snow"... it's a common thing in a LOT of people.  I never heard it linked to any kind of disease, just called a syndrome.   And once again, this has absolutely nothing to do with ALS.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 11:02:58 AM »
Thanks for getting back to me Sunlover, you've really helped me to calm down this morning. I was so worried that visual static could have been related to that terrible disease but more or less it is the result of my anxiety.. And I've had it for the last few years so something definitely would have gone bad by now.

to answer your question, yes, sometimes I'll force myself to yawn just to feel the vibrations in my upper back and shoulders. It actually comforts me knowing I can make these internal tremors happen on my own, which must mean its nothing that's deadly. After what you said about shoveling snow and causing back strain (I used to do the same thing, Buffalo is getting hammered with snow where in from) I'm convinced that these twitches must be related to something out of whack in the back. Perhaps its a pinched nerve caused by a bulging disk or the spine is out of alignment  since these twitches only occur when I'm sitting or laying down.

the funny thing is if I lay outstretched with my arms straight over my head or I bend over far enough, the twitches in my back, legs, and arms stop pretty much all together. From my history of improper lifting and hauling 120 lb bags of shingles on roofs over the summer, I'm willing to bet there is some sort of connection there. I guess I'm afraid that this nerve impingement can turn into ALS if left untreated, or is that something you have to be genetically predisposed to?

anyways, thanks again for replying to my post.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 12:00:56 PM »
No, nothing can turn into ALS, it's just a rare disease you'd be predisposed to.  Sometimes those nerve issues will resolve themselves in a few months if you don't do the actions for a few months that caused them in the first place.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 01:43:59 PM »
Yeah I'm hoping that throught the use of the brace and everything else these issues will resolve itself in the coming months. I've been scared out of my mind recently but I'm slowly coming to grips with the fact that it is mostly likely a pinched nerve issue. I get those same shivers at the place you're talking about too when sitting down.

I mean, if I can lay down in a particular position in which my upper back is arched and my arms are out-streched the twitching and stuff stops. To me, this seems like it could be a compressed disk issues since nothing is twitching when im stretched out. All of this started after I began working as a cashier and standing on my feet during long hours of the day. The foot and back pain was definitely painful and that is when this twitching in my legs, shoulders, back all began. I think the summer jobs I had lifting big weights and years of improper weight lifting could have caused a slipped disk of some sort that may be impinging a nerve. Obviously I'm no doctor, but putting two and two together makes me feel that it could be this issue.

Also, last night I had a floor hockey game and afterwards (and this morning) my left shoulder is hurting, as well as the shoulder blade itself. Being hunched over and running around like that could be further hurting that disc?

But at 21, I'm too young for ALS (I hope) and I hope it isn't the beginning of MS, but again, I hope it could be postural related. Any thoughts?
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 05:54:59 PM »
I think if I can manipulate my posture to stop the twitching, it isn't something too serious... I hope. When I stretch out everything stops.  Anybody else ever experience this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »
I get twitching INSIDE my left ear only when I lay on it, otherwise it stops, so I guess that makes sense for you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 06:18:41 PM »
Yeah, I definitely get that in sometimes. I'm just really hoping I don't have ALS.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 06:38:11 PM »
You don't have ALS!  :angry-smiley-034:
Those symptoms just don't fit.   ALS doesn't have all over body twitches like that, it starts maybe in a thumb and that's only after the muscle has already started wasting away in that area.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 09:25:19 PM »
Got you. Thanks again Sunlover, and I'm happy to hear that we have a lot in common as far as our muscle twitches haha. Have you or anybody that's read this ever have muscle twitches that occur almost simultaneously with your heartbeat?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 05:33:54 AM »
I never had them like that - where to the twitches "go" in time with your heart?  Maybe it's a pulse.  (like in your neck??)  (when I first got the ear one I was freaking out because I thought at first it was my heart but it was so ERRATIC!   I then in a panic was taking my pulse and it WASN'T my heart) - because it sounds just like when you hear your heartbeat thumping in your ear sometimes.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: