Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Generic VS Brand Name - What's the score?  (Read 191 times)

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Generic VS Brand Name - What's the score?
« on: February 18, 2014, 06:38:53 PM »
Between Brand name drugs (Klonopin, Ativan, Prozac, Zoloft) and Generics (Clonazepam, Lorazepam, Fluoxetine, Sertraline)....

Is there any difference?

You pay more for Brand names than you would Generics I'm sure, but does one work better than the other?

Can you choose whether you want a generic or brand name if that's the case? I'm sure it's extremely more expensive, but I"m just curious. :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share
Sometimes when I'm home alone, I fill my bathtub with tomato sauce and pretend I'm a meatball.

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Generic VS Brand Name - What's the score?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 07:11:30 PM »
Is there any difference?

A number of studies have shown the brand is 12-15% more effective because of the placebo effect.

Some generics are actually made by the brand company using the same ingredients on the same production line with the only difference being the stamping die used and the packaging. Others are made by independent companies, often in low labour cost countries such as India. They are all subject to FDA regulations and the active ingredients have to be as bio active as the brand.

Some people claim generics are not as good as the brand. The only way to know for sure is to try them. I personally prefer the generic version of the antidepressant I take, possibly because the tablets doesn't have the thick red coating of the brand ones and I suspect I react to the color dye.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline johnathonm

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 05:39:54 PM »
Insights, in the US FDA orange book generics need to fall in a range of 80% equivalent to 120% equivalent which can make generics a crapshoot at times.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 06:25:16 PM »
Seems to depend on the person and the medication.  I take brand name, except for clonazepam where I find so far it doesn't make a difference.  But a friend of mine who has depression which has been well controlled on Lexapro for years told me a story about not feeling well once, he was slipping back, and later found that his pharmacist gave him the generic that one time instead of the brand name. He had to figure out what happened (because he was baffled at first) and once he did he got back onto the brand name and felt fine again after some time. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
Insights, in the US FDA orange book generics need to fall in a range of 80% equivalent to 120% equivalent which can make generics a crapshoot at times.

The tolerance for brands is no better. Tablets may vary in size by +/- 5%, weight by +/- 10% for tablets <=130mg, 7.5% for 131-324mg and 5% for those >=325mg, and potency can vary by +/- 25%, i.e. 75-125%, but 9 of 30 randomly selected tablets from a batch must be within +/- 15% (from FDA's 'Content Uniformity Test For Tablets' - unfortunately not online).

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline johnathonm

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 10:26:45 PM »
Insights,

We need Heisenberg making our meds.

:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 11:02:09 PM »
Thank you both for your input, I was always curious, you both are very knowledgeable.
Bookmark and Share
Sometimes when I'm home alone, I fill my bathtub with tomato sauce and pretend I'm a meatball.

Tags: