Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: does anyone else have this problem?  (Read 152 times)

Offline NovocaineKisses

• Trix
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Plot Twist!
    • Poke This Member
does anyone else have this problem?
« on: February 18, 2014, 02:31:45 PM »
I don't know about anyone else but when I feel like my safe people, my best friend or my mom, are far away from me my anxiety andmy panic attacks get worse. I feel llike something bad is going to happen and they won't be there in time or if I have a panic attack and need help coming down I won't be able to because they're not there. I hate that hopeless feeling and I hate being so dependent on others  :( I try to stay as busy as possible but the waiting and stressing is just as bad as them being away. Does anyone else feel like this or have any suggestions?
Bookmark and Share
“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: does anyone else have this problem?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 05:55:25 AM »
This is what happens when we create comfort zone or comfort people, as is your case. We depend on them. If they are not around we get anxious. We wonder where they are. When they will be home. It can just be a small case of replacing what you depend on to something more practical. Some people like taking pictures. Looking at the world through a camera lens. That would also get you out. To try and find the best pictures you can. Others like to paint when anxious. We have some that cook. To depend on a person or a place is always going to make things more harder for you. Because the person has a life too. They can't always be there. Plus you might have to leave the place you feel safe in for periods of time. To find a more practical solution might be the answer. It will be hard at first. But you will get there in the end.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline NovocaineKisses

• Trix
    Thoughtful
  • Plot Twist!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 03:14:36 PM »
Thank you for your suggestions! I'm going to try them this weekend. I just got a couple new cameras from a friend and I've noticed I'm happier when I'm using them :)
Bookmark and Share
“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline MissSteele

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 03:24:09 PM »
NovocaineKisses, I have absolutely been there. It was a terrifying time in my life, my anxiety had become overwhelming and I still didn't have a firm grasp on what was happening to me. I was terrified to be alone, I couldn't function. I didn't feel safe unless my husband was sitting directly next to me, I just wanted to crawl into his shirt and stay there. Both my husband and I knew this wasn't healthy. I still had to go to work and I would burst into tears every time I walked out the door to my car. The whole way to work I would have to try and soothe myself. Then, while at work, it was horrible. It was only me and another girl in our department, and if she wasn't there that day, I would begin to panic because that would mean I would be alone with my own thoughts and fears all day long. It was so awful. I would call my mom crying constantly. I was irrational and I felt like I had lost my mind. Luckily, I went to a doctor who told me I was suffering from an anxiety disorder and prescribed me xanax for those occasions when I couldn't calm down, and put me on Lexapro to take daily to help PREVENT these feelings of anxiety. I must tell you, the Lexapro has worked WONDERS for me. Everyone is different, but the difference was ten fold for me. I don't take much xanax, just if I ever feel like a panic attack is happening. The trick for me was to take something daily that would help balance me out and prevent the anxiety from lingering all day every day. Plus, I went to a couple therapy sessions to talk some things out, and I keep myself busy with plenty of hobbies. If you haven't already, please see a doctor about helping you. If you don't have insurance, that's ok. Plenty of doctors give discounts to self-paying patients and they can prescribe you something of low cost. It is worth it to get help. They have heard it all before, they will not think you are crazy. I've been there, trust me.  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline NovocaineKisses

• Trix
    Thoughtful
  • Plot Twist!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 05:11:45 PM »
Thanks MissSteele! I saw a Dr about 3 yrs ago and I have another appointment soon thank goodness! I was coping really well for a while but after this last big one, worst one to date, it's been down hill ever since. My friend is going to try to get me in to a Dr sooner than march and I have started being very proactive about my diet and exercise to help curb it. I also am trying out photography and I started sewing to help keep me busy. It helps to think about what I want to make or take a picture of next. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline hopeful78

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • www.everylastbreath.com
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 05:23:34 PM »
I have felt like that--I have my "safe people," too!
Two things that worked: Realizing I can be my own safe person. I get myself. I know what I need. I know how to take care of myself in a sticky situation, even if I don't think I do.

And...

Expanding your network of safe people. If someone has the capacity to understand, reach out and be vulnerable. Test the waters. You'll probably find that a lot of people "do" get it!!!
Bookmark and Share
www.everylastbreath.com::A blog about life, panic and purpose.

Tags: