Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: New symptom leg cramps and fear of pills  (Read 228 times)

Offline GoundedAV8R

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New symptom leg cramps and fear of pills
« on: February 18, 2014, 12:56:56 AM »
This is my first time posting in a forum. I have been dealing with GAD, panic disorder, and health anxiety for about 4 yrs now. Other than an occasional benzo and many trips to the doctor and ER I haven't really had any support. I've just been trying to tough it out. The last 3 months have been a downward spiral to the worst anxiety ever. I've had most symptoms on the list at one time or another until recently. One new one was a strong chemical smell that sent me to the ER and most recently bad leg cramps. The cramps started just in the back of my left leg. I went to the doctor and finally agreed to try zoloft. The cramps worsened and now both legs in random areas. Calves, hamstrings, tops of my feet, thights. Its like traveling painful cramps. After 5 days on zoloft I had myself convinced it was a side effect of the meds and stopped taking it because it was driving me to constant panic. A week off of zoloft now still the same. Went to the doctor today and he said its just a new symptom and wanted me to try the zoloft again. I agreed and 20 seconds after taking the pill here come the terrible leg cramps. Its pretty obvious its all in my head but its so difficult to convince myself its not some terrible disease or drug side effect that's going to kill me or cause a siezure at any moment. Anyone go through this stuff or have any encouragement?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 162
    • Poke This Member
Re: New symptom leg cramps and fear of pills
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 10:02:28 AM »
Leg cramps can just be part and parcel of anxiety. As we tend to tense up. You ever see a cat that sees a dog? The way it goes up on all four paws, hair standing up straight. That is us with anxiety. Even, at times, when we have no anxiety. We are still on full guard. So we tense or muscles. This can lead to pain. My legs can hurt from time to time. Can last a few days. But I don't really pay it much attention. It goes away for long periods of time. It can all just be your anxiety acting up. Much as you might not think anxiety can do this to you. It can. It has nothing got to do with the medication at all. That is all in your mind. Part of your fear of medication. You imagine it is causing all of this. I am sure no matter what they ever gave you, you would still pin it on the medication.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline HayMichele28

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 12:22:00 AM »
I was very skeptical of taking medicine at first.  I thought it would never help me.  It takes awhile to build up in your system in order to get the full effect.  I took zoloft for about 2 years and I felt like it really helped.  It wasnt until about 3 weeks ago that I quit taking it.  I started having bad panic attacks again and I think my body just got immune to the medicine or something.  Try the zoloft and stick to it.  Just tell yourself its all in your head.  Like I said I took it about 2 years and it really helped me a lot.
Bookmark and Share

Offline RRaider95

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
Leg cramps also get worse as you get older.  Sorry.

I've been on meds for 20 years now, and I couldn't function without them.  There is nothing to be ashamed about taking a maintenance medication.

Hang in there!
Bookmark and Share