Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Taking pills  (Read 132 times)

Offline tobito

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Taking pills
« on: February 17, 2014, 09:41:22 PM »
Long story short, I've been prescribed Valtrex and the pills are huge. I just took one (I cut them into quarters because I have a super hard time taking pills), and I've somehow managed to convince myself that I've lodged it either in my throat or my lungs. My back aches right between the shoulder blades, and it only started right after I took the pill, and my chest is really tight.

I know both of those symptoms are symptoms of anxiety, but I'm having a really hard time rationalizing for myself right now. :( I didn't cough at all when I took the quarters, and I took them all with water, and only one felt like it was stuck for a second or so before I drank more water and it went away...

I know this is silly and ridiculous but I just want to be able to sleep tonight without thinking, "What if I've got Valtrex in my lungs and I don't even know it?"
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Taking pills
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 10:21:08 PM »
You would definitely know it.  The body doesn't suffer invaders gladly and you'd be hacking for sure.

If it helps, next time you have to take one, drink out of a bottle, the pressure helps force the pill down quickly or you can swallow them with applesauce.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 05:56:04 AM »
When you are swallowing, put your chin to your chest.  This actually elongates the esophagus and makes it easier to swallow the pills.
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 06:19:43 AM »
You can't get a pill that big in your lungs! Before they reach the lungs, the airways get narrower and narrower. Nothing but the tiniest grains of dust will reach the lungs.

At most you could have gotten that pill in your trachea, in which case you wouldn't be here typing this question.

Don't worry that pill is long gone into your stomach.

Perhaps the pill scratched your esophagus on its way down and that's why you're a bit uncomfortable. It'll pass.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: