Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Absolutely terrified...  (Read 214 times)

Offline frazzlemartini

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Absolutely terrified...
« on: February 17, 2014, 02:29:16 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum and after looking through other older posts, I thought I'd make one specific to my situation (which most likely isn't as bad as I think it is). I'm basically just looking for some reassurance that everything is gonna be all right. I'm 16 years old if that's relevant. Ok, so here goes...

I was left alone in the house last friday (usually I'm okay with this) and after my parents were gone for a little while longer than I thought they were, I kind of started feeling pretty nervous. So I played with our cats to take my mind off things, and I noticed a tiny little bit of saliva in the corner of one of their mouths, so naturally I completely freaked out and did the stupidest thing possible. Look up symptoms of rabies. Hoo boy. I was already in somewhat of a fragile mental state (pathetic, I know) and this completely freaked me. After seeing a video showing rabies in a human - which I won't link for obvious reasons - I was in a complete mess.

I tried to eat tea that night, but I couldn't; probably due to the anxiety. Then, the next morning (after roughly 2 hours sleep - spent most of night bent over bed shaking), I stomached a few brazil nuts and then went out to help my mum at her cleaning job, and my mind was mostly off everything at that point. In the afternoon I had a fairly large slice of tortilla, and then couldn't manage to eat anything before going to bed. So a total of probably 500 calories maximum. I then had a good night's sleep on saturday night and woke up feeling relatively good about everything. However, eating was still a challenge with a tiny amount of curry and a mcDonald's being all I ate for the day. Oh, and I got bitten by one of our cats (we've just bought a particularly unpredictable siamese), which sent my anxiety haywire and we spent most of the evening in the emergency unit worrying about tetanus as my shots aren't up to date. Although, the doc said that it wasn't a deep enough cut to warrant it (I will have one at some point this week anyway, to stay up to date).

So, I then had another almost sleepless night, and today I feel absolutely horrible. I'm really hungry, but the idea of eating food makes me want to heave. I managed a tiny amount of cereal this morning and some soup for lunch, but I'm worried about how much damage I'm doing to my body by not eating enough. How long will it take before it really does damage me in some way? My mum made me a vegetable juice (for the vitamins - she's really great), but just trying to drink it makes me want to throw it back up, although I can swallow tiny amounts. But, it is reminding me of seeing the video of that rabies patient who couldn't drink liquids and I'm now terrified and shaking all over. Please help me - in any way possible, I will be grateful :(

Oh, and rabies is eradicated in the UK. So, my chances are one in goodness knows how many million of getting it. But, this isn't making a difference for my anxiety about it. I'll try and drink some plain water now. (When I've psyched myself up. I'm afraid of being afraid of water. Hmm, I think I need some sort of treatment soon, but that's not the point right now).

Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline frazzlemartini

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Absolutely terrified...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 05:50:41 PM »
Not sure how to edit the main post (if it's possible), but I've had a bit to drink and some yoghurt and I feel a fair bit better now. Although, there's a bit of pain in my legs which has got me a little worried about tetanus. My cat bite looks clean and fine, however, so would tetanus even be possible if there's no sign of infection?
Bookmark and Share

Offline colorlessideas

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 05:56:46 PM »
I understand how you feel, but there is nothing to worry about. You'd be very sick if you had rabies. And like you said, the odds of getting it are basically none.

Try doing things to distract yourself for awhile. Watch a movie you like, or go somewhere. As for eating, try having soup through a straw. Or get some of your favorite food, something really comforting, and just try to eat a few bites. Don't expect to have your normal appetite, just make it a goal to eat a little more. It will help. Remember our bodies panic when we don't eat enough, that's why you're feeling so much fear.
Bookmark and Share
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 06:18:38 PM »
Hi, there.

Well, you said yourself that you weren't at risk of rabies at any point, so it's safe to say that you don't have rabies. If one of your cats had rabies, they wouldn't be well either. Just remember that.

As far as tetanus goes, the doctor was right - really no chance at all. A cat bite isn't really even worth doing anything about, but if you want to get the vaccine, it won't hurt because then you'll be protected without question and will get some peace of mind, hopefully. As I'm sure you're aware, tetanus is caused by a bacteria that's mostly found in dirt and colonizing rust. The chance that your cat would have this bacteria in its mouth is so, so unbelievably low it's nonexistant. The vaccine is good for 10 years or 5 years for deep, dirty puncture wounds. Yours doesn't count as the latter.

It might be time to consider getting some help with your anxiety if you haven't yet. You need to eat, and the fact that your anxiety is preventing you from doing so is a huge issue. You need nutrients to survive and help your body fight off bad things. I would highly suggest seeking help, whether it be from a therapist, a psychiatrist, your GP, or even a self help book to start off with.

Good luck. You'll be fine!  :yes:

Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline frazzlemartini

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 06:35:12 PM »
Thanks guys :)

I've just been eating tiny bits throughout the evening; a few strawberries, couple pieces of chicken, and some yoghurt. Hopefully I'll feel better in the morning - my anxiety's never gone on for this long before, which is why I came here.

And, I have started down the therapy path - I've been to a clinician and will be referred for therapy/counselling soon, thanks!

I feel a good deal better now. I just needed a little reassurance before bed.

Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 06:43:07 PM »
First of all, don't worry about rabies, this is your pet cat not some bat or raccoon that got into your house. And your cat would be very sick if not dead by now if he already was "foaming at the mouth"  Plus they act REALLY strange, you'd KNOW something was wrong.  So let's get that out of the way first - you DO not have rabies... nor would you get tetnus from a cat bite.

OK onto your question about not eating...Well, I have been exactly where you are (with the not being able to eat due to worrying about a health problem - with me it was a VERY strange vision problem) and all I can say is please eat.    I went from 137 pounds to 111 in one month, couldn't eat.  I'd try eating and felt that if I'd swallow that bite of food in my mouth that I would gag.  I'd actually be really hungry, I'd make myself a nice big hamburger, sit down, take a bite, then take a second bite and by that time I was chewing it 500 times because I felt if I swallowed it I'd gag.  (I was eating a lot LESS than you though)  What that did was mess my stomach up really bad to the point if I even MOVED I'd start gagging, it took a month of "not eating" to make me physically ill.  I was very nauseous ALL the time, it was horrible.   I finally went to a walk in clinic and they did blood and urine tests and told me I HAVE to eat, that I was already showing signs in my urine (forgot what!) that anorexics show when it's getting bad.  He told me to suck on ice pops and drink gatorade - believe it or not in one day I was then able to eat a chicken leg!  (that was a big step for me) So just keep trying to eat.  Your anxiety about this rabies and tetnus will fade pretty quickly when you see your cat is just fine day after day, but if you don't eat you'll have other problems that will make your anxiety even worse.  (get some ice pops and gatorade - if the even have gatorade in the UK??)  Anyway that will keep your electrolytes balanced at least and you may escape any stomach problems.
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 06:50:27 PM »
I think everyone else pretty much covered it. I just wanted to add that I'm SO glad Dr. Google wasn't around when I was your age! I would've been a mess even earlier. Welcome to the board!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: