Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Increase of Sertraline(Zoloft)  (Read 936 times)

Offline Luisa1974

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Increase of Sertraline(Zoloft)
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 11:16:59 AM »
Well I thought I would share my update with you, not good news I m afraid I am two weeks today on my increase and not feeling any better. Help when will the increase work cause this is doing my head in now I can't go on feeling like this! How long do I have to wait till it works? Or are these meds not working?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 91
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 05:28:43 PM »
How long do I have to wait till it works? Or are these meds not working?

Anywhere from 3-12 weeks, unfortunately. It takes time for new neurons to bud and grow which is what produces the therapeutic response.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Luisa1974

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 12:33:16 PM »
Thanks for your replies, I spoke with my doctor today and she said two weeks was not enough to see if they are working I have to wait at least another two weeks then call her again after that, should I be feeling severe increase in anxiety now? Cause I feel like I am getting worse, is this the case?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 04:06:29 PM »
Cause I feel like I am getting worse, is this the case?

Unfortunately, with antidepressants anxiety can often get worse before it gets better. It is caused by the increased serotonin activity, however, after a while the brain responds by decreasing serotonin synthesis and expression and things settle down. Ask for doctor to prescribe a benzodiazepine to help you get past this rough patch, or hydroxyzine if she's a benzophobe.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline bababel

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 10:54:24 PM »
So sorry you are not feeling better yet. I definitely got worse...much worse before I got better. It was absolutely horrible. I think it was after three or four weeks before I felt better pretty much overnight.

I really hope you feel better soon. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Luisa1974

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 11:36:40 AM »
Well 2 and a half weeks on my increase and today I feel worse than ever, please someone tell me it gets better cause it really can't get worse!
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 03:53:03 PM »
Well 2 and a half weeks on my increase and today I feel worse than ever, please someone tell me it gets better cause it really can't get worse!

Yes, it does get better. Just as it is darkest right before the dawn, side-effects can be at their worst just before they begin to lift so hang in there.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lauraa1979

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 04:29:04 AM »
Hi luisa (and everyone else),
I was wondering how you are doing now?
I started on sertraline 100mg 2 weeks ago, I changed from citalopram 20mg. I am also on pregabalin which is prescribed for generalised anxiety disorder(GAD), I am coming round to thinking that my anxiety is stress related rather than GAD as the pregabalin is having no effect on my anxiety.
Since starting the sertraline my anxiety has increased massively, I have 2 children (5 and 1.5) and getting them dressed and to where they are supposed to be is hell at the moment. I don't feel like I can cope with going out but I have to force myself. 
I am off sick from work due to not being able to function with the anxiety.
So hoping the sertraline makes my life liveable.  I am also trying mindfulness but it's early days with that.
I'd love to hear from anyone that has any advise or positive experiences they could share.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 06:32:45 AM »
I am coming round to thinking that my anxiety is stress related rather than GAD as the pregabalin is having no effect on my anxiety.

All anxiety is stress related, however, the lack of action from pregabalin isn't an indicator of the type of anxiety. It, and the other similar anti seizure meds, are hit and miss meds which seem to work well for a few and don't do much for most.

Since starting the sertraline my anxiety has increased massively,

Perhaps because the changeover dose was too high. Dose equivalents between the different SSRIs can't be precisely determined because everyone reacts to them differently, but as a generalization 50mg sertraline is about equal to citalopram 20mg. However, your body ought be adjusting to the higher dose after 2 weeks so the anxiety should begin diminishing over the next few days.

Ian

Bookmark and Share

Offline Lauraa1979

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 06:54:15 AM »
Thanks Ian, I should start to feel the benefits soon then :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 07:10:53 AM »
Thanks Ian, I should start to feel the benefits soon then :)

This is impossible to say as it all depends on how quickly your brain adjusts to the differences between the two meds. On the assumption that you switched because citalopram wasn't working, then you could be waiting another couple of weeks.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Luisa1974

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 05:38:00 AM »
Well four weeks on 100mg and had a good few days but mow again feel awful! Is it because they are not working or is good and bad days normal at only 4 weeks? Any advise would be appreciated x
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 07:12:51 AM »
Well four weeks on 100mg and had a good few days but mow again feel awful! Is it because they are not working or is good and bad days normal at only 4 weeks? Any advise would be appreciated x

Some people get an almost instant kick-in, some see a gradual linear improvement over a week or two, and for others its a case of one step forward followed by two back. The last group seem to do a little better long term, ime.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Luisa1974

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 05:51:39 AM »
I can always rely on an answer from you insight, thanks. I feel worse today but hoping to start getting good days again at the moment it feels like they will never come. Was your experience the same as mine or did they work for you straight away, I am just fed up of feeling like this. I was doing so well for a week and thought great my life is back, then I took my son swimming and bang I got the weirdest feeling ever like I was going to collapse there and then it really scared me and since then my anxiety is back with force! Help x
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 07:36:59 AM »
Was your experience the same as mine or did they work for you straight away

I have never taken a SSRI for more than a day or two as they make me manic, and the MAOI and tricyclic antidepressants I have taken tend to have milder startup side-effects than SSRIs/SNRIs, so my experiences aren't comparable. But I mostly get the one step forward, two back kick-in.

and since then my anxiety is back with force! Help

Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can do beyond taking either a benzodiazepine or hydroxyzine as previously suggested. :(

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: