Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Increase of Sertraline(Zoloft)  (Read 694 times)

Offline Luisa1974

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Increase of Sertraline(Zoloft)
« on: February 17, 2014, 07:23:15 AM »
Can anyone please help or advised, I have increased my dose of Sertraline from50mg to 100mg for a week now and am starting to fell extremely anxious and can not leave the house.  What I would like to know is, dose an increase of Sertraline cause the same start up symptoms of when first starting out, i.e increased anxiety. Any guidance would be very much appreciated as I am now at the end of my tether!!

Help!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Increase of Sertraline(Zoloft)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 08:58:16 AM »
Yes, feeling the start up side effects when increasing your dose is normal. I have increased from 50 to 75 (at 12.5 mg increments) and even with such a small jump I am getting anxiety. I know that in a couple of weeks the side effects will go away though, so I am not that worried.

Did you do a straight jump from 50 to 100? That is a big jump to make at once and would really explain the increase in anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Luisa1974

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 10:49:21 AM »
Hi bababel

Yes I jumped straight to 100 at per my psychiatrist she said going up will not affect you only going down a dose, boy was she wrong, I have been on 100 for a week now and at first I was no different but today omg I feel huge waves of anxiety. How long have you been on your increase for and do you feel like you did when initially started up? Be good to hear as my psychiatrist reckons that you should not get any anxiety ! Yeah right
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 03:02:08 PM »
Yikes, your doctor is very wrong about it not causing anxiety when you increase the dose. Anyone here will tell you it can and almost certainly will, especially with a jump as big as the one you made. I just started 75 mg two days ago. First I was at 25 mg for 10 days, then I went up to 50 mg. The jump from 25 to 50 was TERRIBLE and I had lots and lots of panic and anxiety for a couple of weeks before I finally felt better. Then I had some breakthrough anxiety so my doctor said I could go up to 75 mg. I decided to do it in 12.5 mg increments because I didn't want the same side effects. It has been much better this way.

The extra anxiety you are feeling should go away in a week or two. If you ever do need to increase again though, do yourself a favour and make it smaller increases. A 50 mg increase is huge! In the meantime, were you given a benzo to help you before the SSRI kicks in? I found that I needed a Xanax almost every night when I went from 25 mg to 50 mg because of the extra anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Luisa1974

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 04:39:45 AM »
thanks for your reply bababel, I am into my second week now of the increase and really very anxious and agoraphobic, do you get agoraphobic? she did not give me any benzos and to be honest I don't think I would of taken them anyway I would be scared of getting addicted. it is encouraging to know that your anxiety went after a couple of weeks, maybe I just need to stick it out a bit longer, it just feels I am never going to get better. 

Good luck with your increase, do you think you will increase further? I feel 100mg is too high but I will take anything to get better at the moment, especially as I have two young children to look after! It is really good to talk to someone going through the same as me and I really appreciate your replies.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 05:43:48 AM »
she did not give me any benzos and to be honest I don't think I would of taken them anyway I would be scared of getting addicted

You won't become addicted to benzodiazepines, but when taken regularly for more than a month or so you may become dependent, just as you will to sertraline, and will need to wean off them. However, the anti histamine hydroxyzine (Atarax) has anti anxiety properties and might be just strong enough. It usually does not cause dependence.

I feel 100mg is too high

Most would be on 100-150mg of Zoloft. The maximum is usually 200mg, or 300mg with medical supervision. It is better to take too much than too little. The brain just ignore any excess, whereas too little can cause neurogenesis to fail.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 09:15:05 AM »
thanks for your reply bababel, I am into my second week now of the increase and really very anxious and agoraphobic, do you get agoraphobic? she did not give me any benzos and to be honest I don't think I would of taken them anyway I would be scared of getting addicted. it is encouraging to know that your anxiety went after a couple of weeks, maybe I just need to stick it out a bit longer, it just feels I am never going to get better. 

Good luck with your increase, do you think you will increase further? I feel 100mg is too high but I will take anything to get better at the moment, especially as I have two young children to look after! It is really good to talk to someone going through the same as me and I really appreciate your replies.

I am not agoraphobic right now but when my anxiety is bad then I definitely don't want to leave the house. That was very true at the beginning of my Sertraline experience. It was so bad that I stayed home for a couple of weeks. I am much better now.

You won't become addicted to benzos. I didn't want to take them either but I found that it really helped me at night when my anxiety was at it's worst. I only took a small amount once a day (.25 Xanax) and then stopped taking them the day I felt better.  You will definitely feel better. You've made it this far in your treatment. Once the medication levels off in your system you will feel great relief.

I plan on staying at 75 mg as long as it works. If I get breakthrough anxiety again then I will definitely talk to my psychiatrist about going up to 100 mg. A friend of mine was at 100 mg for many years and she said it basically changed her life for the better. Whether you plan on staying at 100 or go down to 75 mg, you need to talk to your doctor first. Also, give it another week before you decide. In the meantime best of luck with your journey! I know how hard it can be and I almost gave up on Sertraline during the first few weeks, but I am so glad I stuck with it. I barely have any anxiety at all and when I do it is about 70% less than it used to be.  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Luisa1974

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 02:54:44 AM »
Thanks insight for your reply, I am feeling awful today, I feel so sick and shaky, will this ease off? I have been on the increase for a week and a half now, have I got much longer to wait?

Bababel, thanks for your reply again! I feel like the medication is not working at the moment, how long did the increase take for it to work for you, sorry I am desperate for answers, is it worth calling my doctor again or should I give it another week to see what happens?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 05:57:19 AM »
I have been on the increase for a week and a half now, have I got much longer to wait?

I don't know. It varies greatly depending on personal biology. Your side-effects experience when you first began taking sertraline can be a guide on what happens now, but it isn't always reliable unfortunately.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 10:41:42 AM »

Bababel, thanks for your reply again! I feel like the medication is not working at the moment, how long did the increase take for it to work for you, sorry I am desperate for answers, is it worth calling my doctor again or should I give it another week to see what happens?

Don't be sorry, I was desperate for answers too when I first started on the medication. The increase from 25 to 50 mg took at least two and a half weeks to start working. Probably more like three weeks, but I don't remember for sure. If you go back a page or two on the Medications and Therapy forum you can see the beginnings of my journey in a thread called "My Sertraline Journey". In it you will see that I went through something very similar to what you are going through.

Today I have an increase in anxiety and I think it is because I am on day 4 or 75 mg. If it gets really bad I will take a Xanax, but I am not too concerned about my symptoms since I know that they were bound to happen with the increase.

It does sound like you are suffering a lot. I would call your doctor and ask what you should do. He/she may suggest you go down to 75 mg temporarily before going back up to 100 mg, or they might tell you to stick with it for another week to see how you do. If they suggest you stick with the 100 mg, ask if they could give you a benzo in the meantime. I know you really don't want to take them but they will help you through this rough time. One a day can make a difference and you can stop taking them at any time without problems.

Good luck!!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Luisa1974

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 11:42:30 AM »
Thanks I have just read your post 'my sertraline journey' and it has helped, I can see it took you at least three weeks to start feeling any improvement, I will give it another week before I call my doctor, because I know what she will say "you should not be feeling any increase in anxiety" which I know is a lie! Maybe they say that so you are not expecting it to happen which will make you worse? Just a thought?

I am glad it is finally working for you especially as you have a son to look after, I know as I have two! And at the moment it is hard but I am getting through each day. I do feel guilty cause I want to be a good mum and be able to do normal things with them but I am holding back cause of this stupid anxiety, I look at my friends and am so jealous cause they don't have to think about day to day activities they just do them! I want so bad to be back how I used to be but I suppose I have to wait, it has been nearly a year that I have been feeling like this it is getting me down.

Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 10:58:58 PM »
I'm glad my thread helped you. Yes, it definitely took a number of weeks for me to feel any better. My doctor also told me that SSRIs do not cause heightened anxiety, but like you, I think he told me that so that I wouldn't ANTICIPATE higher anxiety. When I finally saw him again over a month later I told him that I had higher anxiety when I started the medication and he told me that it is, in fact, normal. I guess he didn't want to scare me at first, but did acknowledge that my symptoms were caused by the Sertraline.

I know how hard it is to deal with crippling anxiety while having to look after a child. You have it even harder as you have two little ones! I can't imagine how difficult that must be in the state you are in. I am sure you are a great mom. Getting help and taking medication for your condition is a great step in ensuring that you will continue to be a great mom for them in the future. We must never let the anxiety take control of our lives. Our kids depend on us!

As for feeling jealous of friends who do not have anxiety, I know exactly what you mean. I often compare myself to my friends who take their kids out often and have such active lives without even thinking about it. We really shouldn't think about it though. We are just getting ourselves down and that is definitely not good for our anxiety or depression. Now that I am feeling better I know that I can begin to take my son out more often. I already am! Once the Sertraline kicks in for you you will find the motivation and energy to take your kids out and run errands without even thinking about it.

Stay strong!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Luisa1974

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 02:25:13 AM »
Thanks for your words of encouragement, Hopefully in a few weeks from now we will both be living life to the full! It is my 40th birthday in a couple of months so I really want to feel better so I can celebrate but I don't want to put too much pressure on myself. I have delayed getting my younger son christened as can't bear to organise it, he is one on Monday so it looks like he will be walking to the altar to get christened (which I didn't want) but I would rather feel ok and enjoy the day, instead of being filled with anxiety.

The one thing I was going to ask was, with me, I don't thing I have ever had a panic attack mine is severe anxiety, so, when I am out anywhere I feel this overwhelming need to get home and start to feel like something awful is just about to happen an need to escape. Do you have panic attacks or do you, like me, suffer with anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 10:41:03 PM »
Definitely don't put pressure on yourself. I bet you will feel better by the time your 40th birthday rolls around!  :yes:  I can understand why you have put off planning your sons christening. It's so hard to plan ahead when you feel like crap. Trust me, I know. Believe it or not I think that starting to make the plans now will help you take your mind off your symptoms and give you something to look forward to. Keeping your mind busy is so important at this stage. I know I always feel ten times worse when I sit at home and brood. :(

I have both. I have severe anxiety that can last hours, days, and weeks on end. I also suffer from panic attacks as well. It sounds to me like you have panic attacks too as you said you feel as though you need to escape because you think something awful is going to happen to you. I might be wrong though. Either way the Sertraline is supposed to help with both problems. I know that in my case I haven't had a panic attack in weeks now and my overall anxiety is so low that most of the time I don't even notice it anymore. I hope that you get the same results as me!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline HayMichele28

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 12:36:02 AM »
I was on Sertraline for 2 years.  It take awhile to build up in your system.  You said you took an increased amount for a week now? That wouldnt be long enough for it to have any affect on you yet.  It takes at least 2 weeks if not more.  Could take up to a month until you feel its full effects.  Just hang in there.  It will get better  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: