Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Ocular Migraine  (Read 230 times)

Offline emily1994

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Ocular Migraine
« on: February 16, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »
Well, right now I am experiencing an ocular migraine. I haven't had one for three and a half months, so I guess I was due for one.

Has anyone ever had one? If so, what do you see? Mine starts out as a blind spot then progresses into a weird zig zag type thing.

I'm also curious as to why these happen.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Ocular Migraine
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 11:36:47 AM »
I get them too - just woke UP with one yesterday morning!   Lots of reasons are stress and hormones.  Mine are the same way. I can always tell when one is about to start because I'll be on the computer and letters will blank out.  Then the blind spot gets bigger and bigger and the zig zaggy thing goes until it get out of the peripheral vision.  Lasts about 20 minutes.  Very annoying.  I had 2 in one day once!
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 11:54:34 AM »
Yes, that is exactly how mine are! I was on the computer when this one started today, and like you said, the letters blanked out. That's a good way to describe it! Now I am left with a head ache and am not sure if my vision is back to 100% yet.

I have gotten two in one day as well, and have had times where I have gone a few days where I will get one every day. Sometimes they last an hour!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 12:03:08 PM »
Yep, and then there's been the times I haven't gotten one for years.   They have recently started up again on a frequent basis.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 12:26:59 PM »
I had two of those the fall of 2012, before I got sick with my current round off anxiety stuff.  One at a meeting with parents, teachers and staff all sitting around a table (CSE conference as we call it).  Didn't know what it was, thought maybe a stroke, but was not particularly anxious so I just waited it out and told someone later.  Looked it up and found out it is a type of migraine without pain (I don't get standard migraines).  Happened once again at the end of a school day.  I think both times I was tired and possibly dehydrated.  Never had them before, and hasn't happened since, don't know why they happened and what significance, if any, they have.
Bookmark and Share

Offline alexa884

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 06:13:04 PM »
I get those too. Only 2 times I actually had a headache after. Usually it's just the visual effect and it goes in about 30 minutes. I dont remember ever having 2 in one day, but I do remember one week or so when I had them daily. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I was under a lot of stress at the time, I had just started a new job and I was getting a divorce, my ex husband had just left the house at the time and I was still crying on a daily basis. Any chance they could be stress related? Cause usually I get them less than once a month, at some point even 6 months have passed without getting one.
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 06:30:28 PM »
I can't say with certainty that stress can cause them, but I would imagine it plays a role!
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 06:34:30 PM »
I've had a couple of them before. It reminded me of like a barber shop pole, the way the black and white lines would just keep moving and swirling in the corner of my vision. Usually lasted about 20 minutes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 06:50:41 PM »
I get those too. Only 2 times I actually had a headache after. Usually it's just the visual effect and it goes in about 30 minutes. I dont remember ever having 2 in one day, but I do remember one week or so when I had them daily. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I was under a lot of stress at the time, I had just started a new job and I was getting a divorce, my ex husband had just left the house at the time and I was still crying on a daily basis. Any chance they could be stress related? Cause usually I get them less than once a month, at some point even 6 months have passed without getting one.

Yes, one of the biggest reasons IS stress related (also hormone related) I guess there could be other reasons, the reasons people get migraine headaches (allergic reactions, etc), but just the aura and nothing else is what I get too.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: