Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Suggestions for switch to Valium  (Read 1363 times)

Offline hikingchik63

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • The heart of me is strong...T.I. J.T.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Suggestions for switch to Valium
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 04:36:10 PM »
I picked up my 5mg valium today. I plan to 1/2 my klonopin tonight, and take with the valium. Will do this for a week, then stop the klonopin, if all goes well.
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Online insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 05:55:48 PM »
I picked up my 5mg valium today. I plan to 1/2 my klonopin tonight, and take with the valium. Will do this for a week, then stop the klonopin, if all goes well.

I suggest you allow at least another week on Valium to stabilize before starting the taper.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Potatoes

• Easy on the sauce...
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • No matter how far down, You can always get out.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 06:06:23 PM »
I"m waiting on a callback from my Psychiatrist :mad0228:... I'm out of my KLonopin but I have an appointment with her tomorrow morning at 8 am. I might propose a different benzodiazepene. I've only taken this one for two weeks.

I'm nervous, Was it hard to propose?
Bookmark and Share
Sometimes, when I'm home alone, I fill my bathtub with tomato sauce and pretend I'm a meatball.

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 06:28:25 PM »
yes it was difficult for me. I was glad they took my bp after appt instead of b4. But once I got started, I found myself very assertive about what I wanted to do & why. I had rehearsed the main points I wanted to make. I had a lot to say & she heard me out. It went well & I'm hoping the same for you!
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 07:59:01 PM »
Ian, I just saw ur post. So ur suggesting I do 1/2 klonopin with the Valium for 2 weeks? Ok I will do that because I prefer to take it slow. Do u think I can drop the k at .25 or should I cut that in 1/2 for another 2 weeks, or just see how I feel? Thanks for giving me more options!

Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 09:40:24 PM »
Ian, I just saw ur post. So ur suggesting I do 1/2 klonopin with the Valium for 2 weeks?

No, should have made it clearer. I was suggesting that once you're only on the 10mg/day of Valium you continue taking it for at least a week so that plasma levels stabilize before you begin tapering off. Two weeks might be even better.

As for taking half Klonopin and half Valium for an extra week, I suggest you wait until the first week is up. If you're doing okay then there is probably no physical reason to delay moving to straight Valium. However, if you feel more comfortable waiting a while longer that's okay too. The important thing is to go at a pace you're happy with. There isn't anyone handing out gold stars for setting records. This is one situation where the tortoise almost always does much better than the hare.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 07:35:49 AM »
Well, I took 5mg valium last night with .25mg klonopin. The combo felt sooo heavy, like I was trying to walk in quicksand. I did not like that, I felt drugged. Im almost thinking I should just go to 10mg valium by itself and stop the klonopin? The 2 together is what I think made it weird for me. I also know that maybe valium will be more sedating until I get used to it. I thought, "did i make a mistake? is klonopin really the best med for my brain?"  But I want to give this a shot. I have to at least see. I know my pdoc will allow me to restart k at any time. I slept just ok tho, so it was a weird feeling, like I was tired but couldnt sleep. I finally did tho, and now that Im up and about, I feel ok, not dizzy or anything. What to do, what to do??!!
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 04:15:33 PM »
What to do, what to do?

I think you're over analyzing it. There are bound to be some hiccups along the way which you just need to allow time to sort out. If being zonked for a few hours is the worst thing that happens to you then you'll have been lucky. The Valium might produce some additional sedation for a week or so. Try taking it just before lights out.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 04:48:00 PM »
i realized as the day progressed that I was thinking about it too much. I hiked 4 1/2mi & decided this is my best chance to get the monkey off my back. I will continue. This little klon is not gonna decide, I am. My hubby told me today that of all the people he knows, I could survive being dropped off in Siberia alone! So, if he sees me as that tough person, then surely I will conquer this! He knows me well!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Andrew90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 09:16:46 PM »
Please keep us updated on how your transition to Valium goes for you. I have a keen interest in this subject.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: