Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Let Me Introduce Myself  (Read 73 times)

Offline o_rode

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Let Me Introduce Myself
« on: February 15, 2014, 03:51:17 PM »
I came across this forum and I don't see why I haven't thought about becoming apart of one sooner.

I have been dealing with anxiety for a long time, which I hadn't realized until I thought about it recently. I remember running to my mom's room at 13 years old because I was so convinced that someone was going to break through my bedroom window and attack me, for utterly no reason at all. Since high school, it seems like my thoughts have completely taken over to the point where I am constantly worrying about everything. Even when there isn't anything wrong, I find something to worry about, and makes me more stressed because this distracts me from concentrating on my college workload. It is a continuing cycle that I cannot stop.

But I have always thought that it would be good for me to have a place to discuss my thoughts/worries as they happen. I was in therapy for about 5 months a while back, but since starting at college, I have been scared to go back, because I feel like I cannot accurately convey how I really feel to my therapist. When I go to therapy, I usually don't feel the intense emotions I feel outside of therapy, so it is hard for me to explain the emotions. This will often paint an inaccurate picture for the therapist, so it is harder for them to give me proper treatment.

I am convinced that I have GAD. And I know that I need treatment ASAP, so this can stop interfering with my life. Just yesterday I put myself in a depressed state because of my anxiety and negative thoughts, which was horrible because I was out celebrating Valentine's Day with my boyfriend, who I am crazy about. I know it hurts him to see me sad so often, and I don't want my anxiety to get in the way of our relationship since we're so happy with each other. This is just one of the many examples of how GAD is affecting me.

Anyway, I want to be apart of this forum so that I can have some support. It would really help me find the courage to seek therapy again, and stay committed to it so I can fight this problem once and for all. I know there a lot people that can help me here, I would greatly appreciate some encouragement from people who are going through the same thing.   :winking0008: 
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Let Me Introduce Myself
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 04:44:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 07:00:28 PM »
Welcome to the board,

It's really hard to express yourself to a Therapist because you don't really know what you feel until you feel it. I suggest that ANYTIME you feel a sense of anxiety come onto you write it down in a notebook. Don't tell anyone about the notebook so you know you're going to be completely honest and true to yourself in that notebook. Keep it with you, in your backpack or what have you.... and when you see your therapist you will have the mindset that you know what you're going to discuss.

Don't feel like you sound like an idiot, It's feelings and emotions that are apart of you. Sounds like you maybe feel like people have it in for you... This could be rooted to a lot of things and a Psychiatrist can find the roots to these, so I suggest seeing one who can diagnose you and treat you through medication to coincide with your therapy, if you choose to take that route.

You're on the right track, there are so many different types of Anxieties out there and you're not alone. Don't be afraid to share how you feel to the people who are willing to listen with an open mind and no judgement. It's hard to open up to those who are so narrow minded that will shut you down by saying "Just quit thinking like that." Those aren't the people you want to be around.

Your Therapist should be starting conversation and asking questions that will ease you into what's bothering you, That's how you know your Therapist is good. I remember walking into mine and not knowing where to begin because there is so much you want to pour out and you don't want to leave anything out. So start a conversation with him/her and let it pour out, don't leave anything out.

Best wishes to you. if you need any pointers with speaking to a therapist and/or a Psychiatrist feel free to PM me or by throwing up a post. I'll help you get a handle on things.

Welcome to to the board, you're in good hands. :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline PlainJayne

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 07:59:04 PM »
 I just joined the forums today for the exact same reasons! ;D  I have issues with GAD, as well and could use some support.

I experience a lot of the same issues you do and have been in therapy on and off for over 20 years.  Sometimes, it's a matter of finding a therapist that you truly feel you connect with and that makes it easier to open up to them.  Sometimes, you just might not be ready to share some things and that takes time...it's a process...be patient with yourself. 

As you, I am hoping for support and encouragement through learning from others struggles and journeys with anxiety and depression.  Some days, it just helps to feel a little less alone.  And you are...  We just need to remind ourselves of that. 

Bookmark and Share

Tags: