Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Is it OCD...  (Read 235 times)

Offline ans1723

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Is it OCD...
« on: February 15, 2014, 12:56:33 PM »
Is it OCD if you what you can't stop thinking about was something from your past that actually happened? I have obsessed about fears of cancer and even experienced harm and relationship OCD in the past, but those things were more fear based than true.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Leo99

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is it OCD...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 06:05:15 AM »
Could be but doesn't have to be  :winking0008:. The only way to get a diagnosis is to talk to a certified and experienced psychiatrist and/ or therapist. However, feel free to speak what's on your mind here and I'm sure other members will be able to relate and give you some input.
All the best to you!
Bookmark and Share
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
(E. A. Poe)

Online BrookeAshley1

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • I may not know where I'm going but I'm on my way.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 07:56:44 AM »
I agree with Leo, the only way to get a true diagnosis is from a doctor. However, some of it does sound like what I deal with, however I also have the compulsions. I think what you're asking is since this event from your past actually happened, does it count as OCD? That's actually a good question and one I am unsure of. Most of my OCD obsessions are based on false or unreal fears. I would definitely ask a therapist about it. I am not sure if an actual event that we obsess on would change diagnosis or not.

Bookmark and Share
Giving up is always an option, but it is never my choice.

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 08:36:45 AM »
In my view (and experience) OCD can present itself in many varieties and degrees.

The past conditions everything, is how I see it. So the real events in the past arise again and again, sometimes with such power they turn into un-reality. As suggested, a therapist may help. I go at it full force with CBT and all its aspects. Takes constant attention. For some people light medication may be necessary. OCD can be tough, but can be controlled.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ans1723

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 11:50:51 AM »
I have been diagnosed with OCD by 3 different professionals.  My diagnosis first came when I read an article about a woman who did horrible things to her baby. I then began to obsess that I was going to harm the people and pets that I love. I usually obsess about my health, and my compulsion is to seek reassurance or research what is in my mind. I am obsessing about something that happened in my distant past that is causing me guilt. Just when I start to calm down a little, I started thinking "what if I said this" or "what if I did that?" It was so long ago that I can't remember every detail (though it seems I would have remembered saying/doing the things I feared), and I think I am making things up at this point. I am trying to tell myself that, but I just keep thinking "what if" and it is causing me extreme uneasiness and anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything