Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: How were you diagnosed?  (Read 275 times)

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How were you diagnosed?
« on: February 15, 2014, 09:30:19 AM »
Here's a little bit about me and what I have been experiencing.

For the past year or so, I have been having a pain that will come on for no reason in my chest.  It's on the left side near the inner breast and the pain will come on out of the blue, mainly in stressful situations, and ache so deeply.  When that happens, I can push on that same spot and replicate the same pain.  I've had one doctor say they thought it was costochondritis, although, I don't seem to have any of the other symptoms such as breathing or coughing making it worse.  It's just a deep, nauseating pain that throbs.

I also have a VERY tender spot directly behind the chest on my back.  It's on the left side, too, and is VERY tender to touch.  That spot will also flare up and hurt.  When these pains either in my back or chest start up, it will also cause pain to radiate down my left arm and sometimes even make my hand feel a little numb or tingly.  As soon as I can lay down with a heating pad on my back and relax, it will let up.  The next day, my arm will really be sore. 

I also have strange aches in different spots on my body like my legs will ache in different areas almost like a cramp is about to start but doesn't.  My feet ache a lot after walking long distances especially my toes.  They will be so sore to bend the next day.  I almost hobble around the entire next day.  Or, the pads on my hands near my thumbs will be very tender for no reason one day and then fine the next. 

My latest doctor appt regarding the pain in my chest and back resulted in her thinking it was my back muscle causing spasms and maybe costchondritis or my stomach causing that chest pain.  She prescribed me a cortosteriod to take along with an anti-inflammatory.  She also suggested I get a baseline stress test just to put myself at ease that it's not heart related. 

So, that leads me to the question of whether any of this sounds like fibromyalgia.  My mother was diagnosed with that years ago and she deals with it.  Could I possibly have this just by inheriting it?  I know that I have a low pain tolerance and just touching or grabbing me too hard will result in a lot of pain.  I found a fibro checklist online and have almost all of the symptoms listed.  I also read that there are several trigger points that must be tender to touch in order to be diagnosed and the points I've touched are. 

How did you get diagnosed?  I feel kind of weird going back to my doctor and now mentioning that I think I may have fibro.  Wouldn't the doctor figure that out and suggest it?

Just curious how you were diagnosed whether you had to mention it to your doctor first.  Also, how do they treat that?  My mother said she doesn't have any medication for it but just has to live with it.

Thanks so much for your input and sorry this was so long. ;)
Bookmark and Share

Offline JesserCat88

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How were you diagnosed?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 10:48:24 PM »
Oh My Gosh!! I usually post in the hypochondriac anxiety forum but thought what the heck, I'll check this out and I clicked your post first. You described my symptoms to a T! I have been struggling with the chest and back pain (I was also diagnosed with costo but don't have any of the other symptoms) and the leg cramps, I even had venous ultrasound because I was worried it might be a blood clot, but it wasn't. I am starting to swell in my hands and feet now and I am so very tired. I have gone through a battery of tests to find out what the heck is going on and finally I had an ANA panel done and it came back positive. An ANA panel is just blood drawn and they do the rest. The ANA panel tests for things such as fibromyalgia, lupus, and rheumatoid arthritis. The ladies on my dad's side all have fibro and they told me from the beginning that this is what they thought it was. It's amazing that I found someone with the exact same symptoms I have. I have been dealing with this since August of last year and it took until last month for the doctor to do the only test left, this ANA panel. Now I am waiting for a Rheumatologist appt because they are the only ones who can positively confirm or deny you having fibro.
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 04:56:30 PM »
Wow....I'm glad I'm not alone. :)  Thanks for replying.  I checked in here a few times after I wrote my post but after a while I just left it figuring no one was going to reply. 

Did you ask your doctor for that blood test and is it just a simple blood drawn test?  I'm due for my complete yearly bloodwork so I wonder if that can be added to it?  My mother really believes that I have fibro because she has it.  I haven't mentioned anything to my doctor about that yet.  I was sort of hoping the doctor might come up with that idea first but apparently not.  Maybe if she knew my mother has it she might be more apt to suspect it.  I'm not sure if I wrote that down in my family history as a patient. 

Do you have any anxiety at all?  I wonder if fibro and anxiety are tied together in any way.

Let me know what comes of your rheumatologist appt.  I'm glad that you at least have some sort of answer.  :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline JesserCat88

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 07:56:15 PM »
The blood test is super simple, they poke ya, draw one vial of blood and then you're on your way. The only problem is that and ANA panel is actually a generalized test for any autoimmune disease so it could be fibromyalgia or rheumatoid arthritis, or something else along those lines. So that is why if it comes back positive, you'll need to be sent to a Rheumatologist so they can eliminate the other factors to come up with the appropriate diagnosis.
The ANA panel is not usually done unless you request one or the doctor feels you need one done due to family history or your symptoms. I had no idea what this was until my doctor told me that because my symptoms weren't getting better with any of the medicines I was taking and in fact, my pain areas were getting worse, she thought it should be something to look into and low and behold I tested positive! So I am finally getting answers but unfortunately, until I can get in, it's still a waiting game. As for your question about anxiety, fibro and anxiety go hand in hand and I suffer really bad with anxiety now that I have all this pain. It is nice to know I am not alone with all this stuff either :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 06:08:04 PM »
I was involved in a car accident and I had pains from that for a few years after. I felt tired and I couldn't shake that feeling. It did not have anything to do with anxiety.
I had never hear of this syndrome until I was diagnosed by two different doctors. There is no blood tests for it.
There are the medications that are advertised on tv but I refuse to take things that might make other things worse.
I deal with it with magnesium and vitamins and epsom salt baths and with acupuncture. I have had a blood clot that is now chronic vein insufficiency. I am not allowed to have massages anymore. I have had fibro for about 23 yrs and the blood clot I developed 14 yrs ago.

I am like your mother in that I just deal with it.
I use heating pads and ibuprofen.
There are books that deal with the trigger point pain and the tender points.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: