Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of HIV  (Read 670 times)

Offline scared_ter

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of HIV
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 06:24:12 AM »
You can't get HIV like that. I don't know of any cases like that. It comes from unprotected sex and sharing needles. People used to get it through blood transfusions but now the blood is more heavily screened.

HIV is not the death sentence it once was. Retrovirals have made people who are HIV+ live for a long time. They are also very close to finding a cure.

Unprotected anal and vaginal sex are the only documented proven risk factors, so wear a condom correctly during those and you are safe.
Not so sure on the cure, while they now feel one will arrive in some form, I dont think its as close as media reports have led its to believe.
But as you say, its now a manageable chronic illness with the right medication, rather than the death sentence it once was.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Happenstance

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 07:12:16 AM »
You can ONLY contract HIV via:

Unprotected vaginal or anal sex
Direct blood to blood contact
Blood transfusions (VERY VERY VERY rare now in Western nations as blood is screened before being used)

You CANNOT catch it via

Being around someone with it
Toilet seats

If you are REALLY worried take a test with your doctor and put it behind you :)

Bookmark and Share

Offline Alexac11

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 12:06:36 PM »

Unprotected anal and vaginal sex are the only documented proven risk factors, so wear a condom correctly during those and you are safe.
Not so sure on the cure, while they now feel one will arrive in some form, I dont think its as close as media reports have led its to believe.
But as you say, its now a manageable chronic illness with the right medication, rather than the death sentence it once was.

Sharing needles is also a major risk factor. Anything that allows the HIV virus to come into contact with your blood stream in a risk effectively.

Thanks for all the replies :) they're really helping keep things in perspective whilst these two weeks pass. Whenever the fear starts I keep reminding myself 'I have not contracted HIV through a 15 second kiss - I would be a medical anomaly'.

Bookmark and Share

Offline scared_ter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 04:09:30 PM »
Sorry I was referred to documented sexual routes of transmission.
IV drug use and blood transfusions are the other risks.
You've had none.
Take care  :P
Bookmark and Share

Offline rosiela

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 04:49:22 PM »
Just replying to reiterate what everyone else has already said, really - and to let you know you are definitely not alone with the obsessive/irrational thoughts. They are so tough to deal with and I have been going through the exact same thing recently. Nobody seems to get it, and it's tough because no matter how much you KNOW, or how much you tell yourself "I'm fine", that tiny voice of doubt at the back of your mind saying "yes, but this could really be something badů" just doesn't go away.

I have started working through the Health Anxiety workbook (there's a sticky topic at the top of this page) that is pretty useful in helping getting a handle on the actual anxiety.

I know you will feel just fine after the test and when you see for sure you don't have it, just try and hang in there in the meantime, I wish I had an easy answer as to how to just 'stop worrying' (because then I could stop myself!) but sadly I don't, know you are definitely not alone though. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alexac11

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 03:29:53 AM »
Thank you everyone :)

I'm really struggling to keep it together today. I woke up last night with mild sweating (I sleep with about 5 covers) and have convinced myself this is a symptom too. Even though everything I'm reading said mild sweating, with no other symptoms is absolutely not typical, i just can't convince myself otherwise.

Does anyone know the accuracy of tests taken at 4 weeks? I'm really struggling to hold off until the 6. I feel like I need to know now. Although I'm not sure if enduring two weeks or pure anxiety would be worth it to have a test that I can be very certain is accurate?
Bookmark and Share

Offline scared_ter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 04:38:06 AM »
Any negative test is a good one, but the fact you didn't have a risk is enough.
You will be negative at 4,6,8,12 etc weeks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alexac11

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 08:29:21 AM »
Any negative test is a good one, but the fact you didn't have a risk is enough.
You will be negative at 4,6,8,12 etc weeks.

Thanks for this :)

I think I'll go get one done on Wednesday. 32 days post 'exposure'. Hopefully this will be enough to convince me!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: