Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New with a GAD diagnosis..  (Read 217 times)

Offline cerwindel

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New with a GAD diagnosis..
« on: February 14, 2014, 04:51:37 PM »
I am new to the boards and newly diagnosed with GAD

I am 36 and I am pretty sure ive had GAD all my life but this is my first diagnosis. It started when I was very young and had very high expectations in High School and college. I am just not sure how severe I have it.

I recently had a daughter and my Anxiety during my wife's pregnancy was on and off.. Usually centered around appointments and tests. But my wife says my anxiety and worry goes far beyond that. She says I obsess and worry about everything, and its exhausting.

The first week my daughter was here I felt doom and gloom, like my life is over and I will never get free time again, and as the weeks go on (She's 6 weeks now) its gotten better, but I still have nausea and can't sleep very well with constant thoughts of worry. My wife wants to have another one very soon but I am so overcome with anxiety over the pregnancy and having 2 at once I can barely function. Once my wife said she wanted another I went into a complete anxiety attack over the prospect of it.. And over the last 3 days I have had barely any food due to nausea, and just restless sleep. I also just feel doom and gloom constantly and its making me have a bad attitude.

My PCP gave me Zoloft and told me to start on 25mg for 2 weeks then go to 50mg ongoing. I am concerned about taking any drugs and in the past I just dealt with the problems. So every day I see the pill bottle sitting there and don't take it due to the fear of bad side effects, but at this point I'm thinking it couldn't get much worse! I have read a billion stories about this stuff, and I think my anxiety is eating me alive about taking it...

I am thinking of trying it starting on Friday and see if it will make my life improve, I feel like I just never will get out of this rut. I want to have more kids but i'm so overcome with worries I just dont know how to function.

Take the damn pills and shut up? Don't take the pill?  So lost...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
Re: New with a GAD diagnosis..
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 09:13:37 PM »
Hey man,

These are all very common things with Anxiety. I'm not undermining yoursituations at all, but I feel the same way sometimes. In fact I looked in my planner and I have appointments almost every day next week and school work on top of that. I hate deadlines. I hate dealing with that bs.

You have a new child and your support for that child is your main priority right now and I can see where this anxiety conflict is causing you grief. Hang in there man, please. Your wife will work things out and you two will be happy. If at any time she doesn't agree with you, know that she doesn't have to. don't lash out and get upset because it's your own feelings.

This is all new to me too. I was diagnosed exactly one week ago for social anxiety. Same thing with mine.... I'm taking Zoloft. I started at 25mg for one week and now I'm up to 50mg. You won't feel hardly any of the physical symptoms you would had you started at 50 mg so no worries there. Did your doctor prescribe you a Benzodiazepene to ease the symptoms of hightened Anxiety spikes from this Zoloft?

I'm going to tell you up front, you're going to take that zoloft. and more a yes than a no, you WILL feel different. you will be experiencing higher Anxiety levels than usually... but understand it's all in your mind. it's the medication doing it's work. It's the dump of serotonin.

If it bothers you talk to your doctor about getting on a Benzo temporarily to help ease you into this medication. It's been rough for me but I've been sticking it out.

Don't be afraid to take the medication as it will help you in the long run. Seek therapy if you have to... especially if you're in college, Colleges usually have licensed Counselors there that will give you Therapy free of charge (part of your tuition)

Hang in there man. if any problems arise, shoot out a post.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 09:17:40 PM »
These spikes usually subside after the first week or 2. forgot to mention that, lol.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cerwindel

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 11:27:07 AM »
Potatoes,

Thanks for the great advice.. I took my first dose last night and so far only mild side effects.. Thank you for your kind words.

My doctor did not give me anything but the Zoloft.. He said he just wants to even me out a bit.. I could ask him next week about it, but I'm not so sure I would want to take anything else until I have seen this through.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 03:05:59 PM »
Yeah, you definitely don't need to, but if you feel the anxiety is too overhwelming, don't hesitate to tell your doctor that you're feel the effects of the anxiety.

If you need anything let me know. :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline cerwindel

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 08:40:35 PM »
Thanks potatoes..

I am currently on day 2 dose 2..

Some strange stuff I can report;

I felt strange yesterday, I'm not sure how to describe, but I don't know if it's a placebo or what but I went from not hungry with some ibs / nausea issues to hungry and eating. I also delta tad more relaxed as well!

So today at around 2 hours before I took it yesterday I started getting the ibs and nausea again, so I just took my pill and I will report back.

So far side effects; slight nausea, small headache, a foggy feeling for a few hours, and some spots of increased anxiety, but those would fade after 10 minutes.. We shall see how it goes.

So far so good,
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 09:29:34 PM »
Glad to hear it,

Some of it will be placebo. You will start to idk.... "expect" these as your mind attempts to prepare for it. but for the fact that you are showing those side effects it looks to show that they are coming from the pill. I'd fight through it the best you can. keep regular on it... maybe even take it at night time before bed, it might ease these symptoms.

If the anxiety gets too out of hand or you start to feel irritable. immediately distract yourself from that trigger. You said you weren't taking any benzos to ease this are you?

My 8th day on the pill...

Side effects:

I had slight nausea the first couple of days but I accounted that for placebo because I haven't felt it since.

I take mine at about 9am and for a few hours I feel "Keyed up" with extra energy, but today I felt tired and groggy. Could have been because I hadn't gone to bed until almost quarter to 5am and I woke up around 11am.

I ingested caffeine today, about 400mg. It didn't wake me up. I felt groggy... got home and felt the heightened anxiety.

Just had my first panic attack.

I think you and I are in for a journey. Just stick with it. Keep me up to date.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cerwindel

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 09:40:45 PM »
No benzos.. Doc said my anxiety is not heavy enough to use those.. So this is it for me.

I will keep posing back each day with how I feel... I agree we are on a journey.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: