Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: help for borderline personality disorder  (Read 428 times)

Offline alizzy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
help for borderline personality disorder
« on: February 13, 2014, 11:52:29 AM »
I believe I have borderline personality disorder.  I think I am a "quiet borderline," so I internalize a lot.  It has caused deep depression and anxiety, greatly
effecting my relationships and employment.  I have no insurance, and little money for therapy and medications.  Is there anyone else with BPD? And do you have any
suggestions for low cost helps and resources?  I appreciate your thoughts! 
--alizzy
Bookmark and Share

Offline brokenbone

• Mood: Sad
    Sad
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: help for borderline personality disorder
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 04:59:46 PM »
I also have BPD, and I definitely internalize a lot. If you ever want someone to talk to about it, you can always send me a message! ♥

As for your questions, I am lucky enough to have insurance, because therapy can be very expensive. In fact, I still can't afford to go to the group therapy I'm supposed to every week. But depending on where you live, there are low cost options. I live in a very rural area, so there isn't much around here, but you should be able to look up what is available in your area online.

Before I began therapy, however, I used a ***** Group that posted actual DBT lessons and activities each week. It is called "dbtclass" and is on *****; I'm not sure if I can post the link here. This was very useful to me, and now that I am actually in DBT, I know that the lessons I received in the online group are actually taken from what you'd learn with a therapist. I would also suggest reading some books about the disorder, but with BPD especially, you have to be very careful that the books are respectful and accurate. I have read some that had me in tears, believing I was some kind of monster for having my illness, because they were so inaccurate and cruel and just not good.

Another sad thing about the disorder is that medication doesn't really treat it. Medication can help with the anxiety/depression, but as for BPD itself, there is no pharmaceutical cure. But I promise you that you are not hopeless and if you have any more questions and concerns, feel free to ask! Good luck with everything. I'm so sorry that you're going through this, relationships and employment and pretty much everything while borderline is a huge task, but the fact that you're still around proves your strength.
Bookmark and Share

Offline alizzy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 10:50:21 AM »
Thanks so much for the ideas broken bone.  I'll see what kind of online resources I can find! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline growth60

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 06:12:13 AM »
I believe I had BPD and wasn't diagnosed in childhood, but found a free meeting and that is recovery international which teaches us things to think about instead of our anger. They believe anger starts with fear and I am sure you have money problems with the job situation and that makes things worse. i've been there for 55 years and am a companion to people for room and board. Try  it, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Bookmark and Share

Offline alizzy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 10:37:54 AM »
I checked out RI and it looks like a great resource!  Thanks for sharing that with me Growth60.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MeganxPhillips5150

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 03:46:18 AM »
I also have Borderline Personality Disorder. I was diagnosed at 18. I went thru a period, when I had no insurance, or no way to deal with my problems, I ended up in the ER quite a bit. If you ever want to talk, you can message me. There may be support groups around your area- or even an indigent care program in your state, which is what I originally got on. It was thru one provider mostly, but it was a health department, so I would say start there. I see a doctor now, but supposedly there are no medications "designed" strictly for BPD, like there is for Bipolar, or other mental illness. They can only give medication to pinpoint the cause, such as if anxiety is a big factor in yours, they can prescribe anxiety medication. Basically, whatever your symptoms are- they use a medication for each symptom. I'm not sure how true it is, but I've seen it come up alot in certain BPD websites. Again, I would contact your local health department, ask if they have an indigent program. If you have any questions, you can always message me. :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: