Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hypochondria AND a fear of doctors  (Read 270 times)

Offline alexa884

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hypochondria AND a fear of doctors
« on: February 13, 2014, 07:49:50 AM »
Anyone else has this terrible combination? I am worried sick with every weird symptom that my body exhibits, but I almost never see a doctor for anything cause doctors scare me. Which sucks, cause that means I never get good reality checks on what I think I suffer from.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hypochondria AND a fear of doctors
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 08:18:34 AM »
I'm exactly the same way and just made a post about that a few days ago.  I fear a doctor wanting to send me for tests, so then I just don't go and hope things resolve on their own.  The only way I'd go is if it could be VERY OBVIOUSLY cancer (ie:  if I started bleeding post menopause or if I had a mole that changed in appearance)  Other things I reason with, "OK it started SUDDENLY and stayed the same, if it were bad it would have started slowly and progressed or even if it started suddenly it would PROGRESS, it wouldn't just start and stay the same month after month.
Bookmark and Share

Offline alexa884

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 08:34:58 AM »
I rationalise in the same way. Right now I am in a situation when I actually HAVE to see a doctor, as I have a weird cough and flu symptoms and a pressure on my chest when lying down to sleep, and I haven't had a good night sleep in 4 days. The discomfort this is creating eventually won the battle, not to mention the horror that it could be serious, or that I might stop breathing in my sleep or choke on sputum. But for the previous 4 days since the symptoms started I did my best to convince myself that it's just a cold and it will go away on its own. When I go see a doc, my friends know that I am probably in a huge amount of pain or discomfort.

My worse fears with doctors are invasive procedures and being stripped. I haven't been to the gyno in a few years and I can't possibly imagine what I would do if I ever had to have surgery, when the normal fear of surgery adds to the terror of being naked on a table with a full staff around. And the worst part is that people don't understand this side of the fear. They understand the fear of pain, the fear of being sick, but they usually look at me like i'm a small child when I mention the modesty part. They think it's silly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 08:45:44 AM »
My fear is of the dentist.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 08:52:31 AM »
I have not been to the dentist in around a year and half or so, so I really need to push myself to go.
I have been to the doctor so many times, I have lost count. (ENT, GI, Derm and Internal Med)
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: