Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Heart Attack Symptoms are Terroizing Me  (Read 563 times)

Offline theelt712

• Queen Cardiochondria
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Strength is in the eye of the beholder.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Heart Attack Symptoms are Terroizing Me
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 10:57:43 PM »
I read somewhere good technique for those who are afraid of heart attack frequently. When you feel you are having a heart attack, start doing jumping jacks. Do 20-30 of them. You can't do jumping jacks and have heart attack, so that should calm you down.
I will try this, thank you! I was doing some walking and felt like I wasn't getting enough air in, and I am currently dealing with chest pressure again and not getting enough air in.
Bookmark and Share
Queen Cardiochondria.
"I would recommend that you lay off the Google crack pipe for a little while."- vardnas

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 11:00:48 PM »
Anxiety can feel like a heart but it sounds like you had panic attack mixed with heartburn.
Bookmark and Share

Offline theelt712

• Queen Cardiochondria
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 11:04:50 PM »
When I have heartburn, it feels like my chest had a blowtorch lit to it. I keep having anxiety.

EDIT: Well, I did the jumping jacks. A lot of them. It felt good to do them but when I got finished with one set, I literally felt air go back into my chest and when I coughed, my chest squeezed and my heart was pounding. :( After doing them, I felt like the air in my stomach was gone, only to go back into my chest. :( This makes me even more wary.
Bookmark and Share
Queen Cardiochondria.
"I would recommend that you lay off the Google crack pipe for a little while."- vardnas

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 05:57:35 AM »
Well, I did the jumping jacks. A lot of them. It felt good to do them

You can't have a heart attack and feeling good while doing jumping jacks. You have a panic attack, that's why symptoms started as soon as you stopped doing them. Remember to breath properly while doing jumping jacks. Don't hold your breath.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Matteus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 08:27:43 AM »
Good luck, theelt.    You are not alone.  I'm 40 and male but I experienced some of the same things you have and I'm still here.  Just try to keep calm and remember that you are not alone.  I really hope you start to feel better soon. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline theelt712

• Queen Cardiochondria
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 01:38:52 PM »
Thank you! Today, it's this nagging stomachache that won't go away that's bothering me, another heart symptom. It's been going on since 3 this morning. I'm trying to eat mints to make it feel better but I'm still bloated....even burping up bile. I'm comforted by the fact that I'm not having arm pain but the upper chest pressure today has been going on. :( I'm really nervous that this is a precursor to a heart attack.
Bookmark and Share
Queen Cardiochondria.

Offline theelt712

• Queen Cardiochondria
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 02:13:47 PM »
The stomachache has come with nausea and pain when trying to make a BM. :/
Bookmark and Share
Queen Cardiochondria.

Offline treadstone

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 03:40:03 PM »
Hey there, theelt!

You remind me a lot of myself. I'm a college student with a pretty bad case of cardiophobia. I had my first panic attack in June 2010 and raced to the hospital convinced I was having a heart attack. I had the works - shortness of breath, intense chest pain, and just a few blocks away from the hospital I lost all feeling in my hands and feet. At the hospital, they found nothing. They told me it was anxiety. It seemed incredibly unfair that my brain could do that to me. It still does.

It's been almost four years and anxiety is still my biggest challenge in life. Some people with anxiety say that their physical symptoms, including those scary chest-related ones, start after they're already anxious. Unfortunately, that's not me! I can be feeling pretty decently, when all of a sudden the chest pain begins. From there begins a chain reaction that gets harder to stop the longer it goes on. If you can successfully ignore and toss aside that first stab of pain, your odds of continuing on with your life normally are high. But if you pay attention to that pain, your anxiety will enhance it and magnify it, and new pains will happen.

Disregarding the pain is very, very hard. I can only rarely manage it. But that's the key.

Your bloating and burping and reflux is likely the culprit of your chest pain, perhaps in combination with the tightening up of your chest muscles. Anxiety, and the stomach/chest sensations it can cause, are so cruel in how they mimic some of the scariest health emergencies humans can experience.

That sudden chill when the room temperature seemed to drop? A classic symptom of fear. I bet you that chill was accompanied by some sort of mental "oh my god" thought. The "oh my gods" are the worst kind of thoughts to have when you have anxiety. And I'm not talking "oh my god" like "oh my god, i forgot to buy cat food". It's the sort of "oh my god" that means you are bewildered and terrified of that feeling you just had. I have a lot of trouble with those too. When a terrible, terrible, downright awful feeling has just affected you then it seems natural to be frightened of it. But, unfortunately, anxiety does not play fair. Even if it seems natural to react in that way, having that sort of reaction just makes things worse. It is hard to stop. But it's the reason why the fear cascades.

The odds of you having a heart problem at your age is incredibly tiny. I'm 26, a whole decade older, and my own chances are still very small.

Have you ever had an EKG done? It's a test that checks out your heart. I know you're uninsured, but an EKG at an urgent care center is usually cheap compared to an E.R. visit (my E.R. visits cost thousands of dollars, but an EKG at an urgent care clinic might be as cheap as $75 and very rarely more than $175). I very, very, very strongly doubt that your heart is the problem. However, an EKG might give you a bit of peace of mind. My last EKG's results, given to me two months ago, are folded up neatly inside my wallet and I look at it whenever I feel bad.

After you come to accept that it's not your heart, things will get easier, but it's only the beginning. Anxiety lingers even after reassuring test results, so I strongly recommend seeing a psychologist if you haven't already. I know it's hard when you're uninsured - I am too. But it's not impossible. :) My first ever appointment with a mental health professional is in just three days and I'm excited.

Best of luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline treadstone

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 03:44:39 PM »
Oh, and as for the nausea and pain you're experiencing lately, my strong guess is that it's caused by your anxiety.

I'm not an expert on periods, but both those things can be caused by periods too. They can also be caused by your stomach.

Those two causes are so, so, so, so much more likely than your heart.

It really sucks, but it's the truth - to someone with health anxiety, like myself, the sensations caused by anxiety and other non-life-threatening conditions (like acid reflux and tummy trouble) are frequently misinterpreted as something far more dire. And that misinterpretation can cause more anxiety, and then more pain, and the cycle continues until you finally 'unlink' what you're feeling to the prospect of death via a scary medical emergency.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: