Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: good and bad. will I ever feel 'normal' again?  (Read 669 times)

Offline alesha

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
good and bad. will I ever feel 'normal' again?
« on: February 12, 2014, 02:26:41 PM »
I have been having a tough time with anxiety. I have been to the er twice in the past 6 weeks. I am trying so hard to realize the way I feel is panic and  anxiety and learn to cope. I have had some very bad days and very good days. When I have good days its like I am on top of the world. I feel so appreciative and great. Then with no warning,  no reason, I feel terrible again. Chest pains, derealization, nauseous,  sad and discouraged and terrified,  there is sometimes I feel the symptons take over me and I feel like I'm dying. (Reasoning for er visits) so my question is dors this ever stop? Like for a long period of time? Has anyone went weeks, months, years without panic attacks?  Right now I feel like im going day by day, usually terrified of having an episode. It affects a lot of my everyday activities. Or will I have to live like this, to this extreme for the rest of my life? Does it ever let up?
Thanks for taking the time to read, I appreciate any response or insight.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SammyRiver

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: good and bad. will I ever feel 'normal' again?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 02:58:18 PM »
Hi Alesha,
At the moment Im pretty anxious and panicy but I would say I had perhaps a year or so of feeling fine continuously. Relapsed only in the last few months due to a stressful personal life. It seems that if the rest of my life is going well, my anxiety dies down too. Im also hoping that with some professional help I'll be able to control my anxiety better in the future and wont let it keep its grip on my life. Im definitely hopeful that this is possible. It may not be easy but Im hopeful.
Bookmark and Share

Offline alesha

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 03:10:58 PM »
I agree, its not easy. But worth fighting for. Just needed to know it was possible. I just feel I have so much to be thankful for and my anxiety is tying me down. And advice on how you stayed anxiety or panic attack free for a year? Just curious.  I wish you well on your journey :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline SammyRiver

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 03:26:04 PM »
Somehow I managed to fully accept that my panic attacks were just that, and would never EVER cause me any real, physical harm. At first it was hard, theres always that thought of but maybe this time its different, but eventually I was able to take deep breaths, sit outside in the fresh air and drink a small bottle of water for at least 10mins before I decided what to do next. And I had generally calmed right down by then.

I really dont know how I got to that point. I dont know what clicked in me, but something just did.

At the moment Im trying to bring myself back to 'normality' every time i feel one coming, popping to the local shop, calling someone for a chat not related to illness to take my mind off it. I usually like to feel that there are people there with me/near me and im not stuck in my apartment driving myself mad.

wish I could have some better advice for you. I wish for everybody that there was a magic cure but I think different things probably work for different people. But for me I just need to be communicating and connecting with other people to bring myself back to rational thinking but obviously thats completely untrue for sufferers of social anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline alesha

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 04:51:07 PM »
That makes a lot of sense. I feel the same ways you did,  about thinking something different could be going on this time. Im trying so hard to get through these episodes. Im trying to stay strong. I also like for someone to be around me. A safe person I heard it being called. It can really take its toll. I look forward to my good days and hopefully they come more frequently.  As of now it seems I keep having set backs. And its very discouraging. 
   Even when I have no stress or anything. Im assuming its on a more sub conscious level for me to even notice maybe.
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 05:34:06 PM »
This is a good post... because we all want to feel normal again. I often wonder what changed in my mind on 3/18/13, when I went from not feeling anxiety, to it nearly taking over my life. I know it didn't happen all in one day, and that the events built up to it. I think about all the things I used to do without a worry in the world - spontaneous road trips across the state, flying down to see my family in the carribbean, day trips to the beach, etc. Now, some days, I can barely go to the store without having to stop and control my anxiety. I don't let it get me down, if anything I use the past as motivation to work towards finding a resolution.

It's also been a bit of a hidden blessing. See, prior to all of this, I have to admit I never was fully convinced of the effects people feel from anxiety. It was easy to write it off as "It's all in their head" (kinda like how people, even my own mother, think of my symptoms now) I could never fully sympathize, until it happened to me.

Additionally, it did help get me back into church. When the dr's and medicine couldn't help me, I turned to God. I think church, combined with self motivation have been the driving factors in my learning to cope with and overcome anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline alesha

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 06:03:38 PM »
Also I wanted to ask peoples opinions if they thought it just happened naturally that the anxiety stopped or its something you had to do, whether its breathing or relaxation techniques, meds or any other ways people go about fighting off anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline alesha

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 06:14:28 PM »
Clippergoodwill- I can relate. I didnt believe in this whole anxiety, panic attack stuff. As you said I thought it was all in their head. I feel so guilty now. My mother suffers from anxiety and did when I was younger and I just never truly understood what she was going through until now. It is a powerful thing, as much as I hate to admit.
    It has stopped me from doing so much, even little things. What bothers me the most about that is I feel I cant be the mother I want to be. I want to overcome this in the best way,  a healthy, lasting way. Not let it overcome my life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline HRB39

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 04:21:30 AM »
I feel at times that I am losing my grip as well. I am currently seeing a CBT and she says depression can come and go (Don't currently have) but she says anxiety is always with you although at certain points in your life it can lie dormant. She says what to work on is to develop coping skills to keep your anxiety at a 2 on a 10 scale, before it can make its way to a 5,6,7 or worse. Ive had anxiety for the last 3 years after being totally anxiety free for 10 yrs prior to that, but as I look back my life has been defined by 3 periods of mental issues and this being one of them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SammyRiver

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 04:55:38 AM »
Alesha Ive just found this website and I think it might be useful. Go on the 'your personal anxiety profile' fill in the questionnaire and then theres a video at the end. I really liked the video, it is a woman who has overcome her anxiety giving tips and steps, including posture, thinking, vitamins, etc
maybe check it out and it could be helpful
Bookmark and Share

Offline SammyRiver

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 04:56:50 AM »
oops, forgot to include the website: www.calmclinic.com
Bookmark and Share

Offline MissSteele

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 10:34:24 PM »
Yes, you WILL feel normal again! I had the same thought about myself a while ago. I was certain I would never bounce back. I felt like a walking shell of my former self. I was overcome with anxiety, I could barely function. But I took steps to overcome my anxiety. Medication, therapy, these forums, they all help. Don't let it defeat you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline alesha

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 12:27:09 AM »
Thank you missSteele for your encouraging words.  Hoping I get there even if it is slowly but surely.  :) need to get over through obstacles and pray for the best!
Bookmark and Share

Offline hopeful78

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • www.everylastbreath.com
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 05:29:02 PM »
Alesha, it does subside, but you have to deal with the root issue of it all, I think. Good thing about your ER visits is they've ruled out anything else--it's just anxiety. So that's a good starting point. Is something going on in your life that's stressing you out?
Bookmark and Share
www.everylastbreath.com::A blog about life, panic and purpose.

Offline HayMichele28

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 12:28:43 AM »
My aunt has told me that it does get better.  She has been attack free for a few years now.  Even when I dont want to do something I force myself to.  I wont want to go to a restaurant for fear of panicking.  I will force myself to go because I feel anxious about it. Even if I panic while I am there I wont leave even if I really want to.  I stay and stick it out till my anxiety subsides.  I feel so proud of myself when I push myself and succeed.  I have a lot of rough patches.  Just take control of your anxiety and dont let it try and control you.  You are the boss!!  ;D
Bookmark and Share

Tags: