Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Lymphoma  (Read 236 times)

Offline 290211431

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lymphoma
« on: February 12, 2014, 12:42:37 PM »
Hi,
I have a small, palpable node at the back of my head
Its about 4-6mm In short axis diameter.
I was reading terrible things about lymphoma, and ever since i went into a deep depression. I can barrely eat, I stopped going out with friends. Infact, i can not function at all. I even told my boss i wont be be able to work due to college schedule (obv lie).

I dont have any infection, and just to be sure i was on a course of antibiotics.

I first noticed it 3 mounths ago by accident. It might have been there for ages.

Please tell me if you can feel your neck nodes as well.

Thanks!!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline hachiko

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lymphoma
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 05:31:18 PM »
That's what happens when you google symptoms :( never do it!! It always shows you the worst. Anyway, my doctor told me that lymphoma usually comes with other symptoms like fever, weight loss, night chills... so don't be scared and it is rare. Most lumps that we discover end up being nothing and some were always there to begin with... Did your doctor say he was worried?? If the doctor is not worried, don't be either. If what you have is a lymph node, they grow for the smallest reason and sometimes when they shrink they never go back to their original size.

I have a small lymph node near the hairline, at the back of the neck. Went for an ultasound, it was benign!

Hope that helps :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 05:37:02 PM »
It might have been there for ages.

This!

And like hachiko said, you shouldn't have Googled, but since you did, at least stop Googling from now on. ;)

What you did there, canceling work etc. is very bad for your depression. You should do quite opposite. Go out as much as you can, workout, go out with friend, play some sports... whatever can keep you away from computer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hachiko

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 05:53:30 PM »
I also agree with Hypo and i should have mentioned it!! You need to get out... tell your boss you CAN work, you will feel better. Staying at home, worrying... checking google and all is not good at all, it won't help you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mustardtiger56

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 12:24:48 AM »
YOU'RE FINE!, I have multiple nodes between 0.3cm and 2cm that I can feel in my armpits and neck. I was freaked out about lymphoma as well, I've now seen two surgeons and have had multiple tests done to more or less rule out lymphoma. Most people have palpable nodes in the neck and armpits, the difference is hypochondriacs feel for these things and are shocked when they find them. If it was a large node(>2.5cm) that was getting larger week by week or was accompanied by other symptoms I would be telling you to get checked out. You don't have lymphoma, what you have might not even be worth a doctors appointment.  Only 1% of enlarged(yours wouldn't even be considered enlarged) lymph nodes without explanation are cancers.  My surgeon said that if it is worth worrying about, he knows immediately 99% of the time, he said mine were still normal and one of them was 2.2cm! Much larger than yours with multiple other ones nearby. Relax, take a deep breath, and go have fun with your friends. You don't have lymphoma
Bookmark and Share

Offline mustardtiger56

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 12:29:12 AM »
P.S.
I was also on a course of antibiotics to no avail, since what you feel is normal it isn't going to shrink;) Also a lymphoma presenting on the back of the head is almost unheard of. Most present on the lower neck and collarbone like mine did(although they're normal if under 1.2cm in this area). You really have nothing that suggests lymphoma, no more reason to worry than anybody else.
Bookmark and Share

Offline eddarun

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 12:58:27 AM »
I have severel nodes in my neck and groin.  The biggest one was 2,8 cm.  It was removed and examened and it was totally benign.  The reason it was removed was because I begged the doctors to do it, they bever suspected lymphoma.  I still have about 15 palpable nodes. Most are under 0,5 cm but I have a few 1 cm-ish nodes.  The biggest remaining node is under my jaw and is 1,3 cm...measured by ultrasound.  It has been a year since i noticed my nodes and they are still the same:)
Bookmark and Share
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.  - Mark Twain

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 08:46:22 PM »
I have a lymph node in the groin area on the left side that I found towards the end of January.
I went and saw my doctor the next day. She stated that to just watch it.
I got anxiety ridden about it because my sister did have lymphoma stage 4.
I am fortunate because my sister survived through chemo and radiation and a bone marrow transplant.
I have it on the left side. The lymph node has not gone down. but it is about 1 cm (per Dr).
I have had DVT (blood clots) in the left leg 14 yrs ago. I have what is considered chronic vein insufficiency and wear a compression thigh high on my left leg.
Part of me thinks that the reason i have the little swollen node is because of the thigh hi and that it cuts off some of the fluid that would normally go down the leg.
I am also in perimenopause and I know that people feel all sorts of things in this stage of life. I also have Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue and I am aware of these syndromes having issues with lymph nodes as well.
I guess I threw in the fact that I was anxiety ridden about this to my doctor and she had blood tests ordered and I followed through and the results were all with in the normal range. There were a few that were on the high end of normal but normal none the less. The hemoglobin was 14.9 when they state that 15 is the high of normal but then they also state that unless you have been in menopause that 16 is the high end.
So that is where I am worrying about this lymph node. I also should mention that I have trigger points in the muscles such as the psoas that wrap around to the back and the abdominal area as well. I am unsure if this is just a result of that .
Bookmark and Share

Offline mustardtiger56

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 12:22:41 AM »
Sorry to hear about your sister, fortunately lymphoma can be treated 80% of the time if you are going to get cancer this is the one to get(as bad as that sounds). As for you ,99% of unexplained enlarged nodes are benign and just because they are palpable does not mean they are enlarged, your node is still well within normal sizes.  Are you at a slightly higher risk? Yes due to your sisters unfortunate bout with the disease. However the chances are still extremely slim that what you feel is lymphoma or that you will ever get lymphoma. Give it 3 weeks(I know its tough) if it increases in size see if you can get an ultrasound,90% of lymphotamous nodes can be differentiated by ultrasound.  If it stays where its at(which I think it will) you probably have nothing to worry about.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tomjohn

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 09:28:53 AM »
Ten months ago I had lymphoma fears as well. I have two palpable nodes in my groin, and three total in my neck.
They haven't grown for this time. I went to get them checked, and they were nothing. Ultrasound showed nothing, Xray of my chest was normal and CBC was fine. I still touch them from time to time.
Bookmark and Share
Got to stay positive

Tags: