Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Focusing on one symptom  (Read 131 times)

Offline mmhhmm

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Focusing on one symptom
« on: February 12, 2014, 11:14:22 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone else seem to focus on one or a few symptoms because you are scared you have one certain disease/problem?

I am terrified I have Sjogren's Syndrome and all I can focus on is the fact that my mouth feels dry and the fear that my eyes are getting dry.

I know that my upset stomach, nausea, trouble sleeping and the ache in my arms are all caused by stress and anxiety, but can't seem to get my head around the fact that maybe my mouth being dry is too.  And I think about it almost non stop.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 14
  • Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
Re: Focusing on one symptom
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 12:04:49 PM »
I do that ALL the time!   Right now it's a tingling right foot and calf!  Of course at 55 if it were MS it normally presents as the Progressive kind which would be balance problems and weakness that progresses VERY slowly, NOT intermittent tingling.  But I just can't get it out of my mind, every time it tingles my anxiety goes off the edge.  You FOCUSING on the dry mouth is most likely making it MORE dry.  Same as my foot.  If I am out shopping or talking to someone there's no tingling.  If I am alone and thinking about it (or writing about it now, it's tingling!)  Our brains do some amazing things. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline mmhhmm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 12:13:07 PM »
Exactly! I even have had a couple of short periods where I think that maybe my mouth isn't dry, but I'm not sure. And then it's back. And I can't stop thinking about it again...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kindra11

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 12:28:18 PM »
There are mouth rinses you can get that help with the dry feeling in your mouth, they actually work pretty good, Im currently focused on the feeling of being on a boat, its terrible!! Anxiety can definitely cause dry mouth, do you clench your teeth a lot? Clenching can lead to TMJ which can cause dry mouth and dry eyes :)
Bookmark and Share
Broken, But Not Destroyed

Offline mmhhmm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 12:44:57 PM »
I did find I was clenching my teeth most of the time and have been focusing on relaxing my jaw. I am going to make a dentist appointment and go in after my test results come back for Sjogren's.

Do you use any relaxation techniques when your anxiety gets bad? I've been trying to focus on my kids more and sometimes it helps.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Kindra11

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 12:51:12 PM »
I play with my kids and bake a lot lol. If my anxiety gets really bad I start cleaning closets or doing jumping jacks to calm down. Definitely talk to your dentist about the teeth clenching!! My dentist new without me saying anything because when I open my mouth my jaw muscle pops and sometimes makes a loud snap noise.
Bookmark and Share
Broken, But Not Destroyed

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 01:09:31 PM »
Same here...focusing all my energy on one symptom, currently tingling in right big toe. Although initial tingling might've had some physical reason, I'm almost sure that I am producing it now on my own with anxiety.

Apart from distracting yourself with other things can't seem to find any other way to battle these constant symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: anxiety health