Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Coping with increased cancer risk?  (Read 305 times)

Offline mhmommy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Coping with increased cancer risk?
« on: February 11, 2014, 05:41:01 PM »
anyone dealing with this right now?
I'm having a hard time coping, being
natural with my kids like I used to be.
feel it can happen anytime.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mustardtiger56

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Coping with increased cancer risk?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 12:56:27 AM »
I'm only 18 so I really haven't got to a point in my life where cancer is common. However recently I had a scare with lymphoma(that is most likely nothing), the important thing to remember with increased cancer risk is that the internet makes it seem much more of an increased risk than it is. For example, I'm considered 4 more times at risk for skin cancer due to birthmarks and complexion, however my doctor explained that even with that 4x increased risk I only have about a 6% of developing it in my lifetime even with continuous sun exposure based on statistics. However initially when I read online that I was much higher risk I panicked and immediately believed that at some point I was going to get skin cancer. Just something to think about
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 06:46:23 AM »
I'm with you and completely understand. Mortality is a difficult thing to face. My rational mind knows that even at 42, my risk rate is still low, but the irrational mind says OMG CANCER, HEART ATTACK, STROKE.

But I also work with statistics (ironically a person with HA has to deal with death statistics).  Even though cancer is the leading cause of death from 35 to 54, the rates are relatively low. Especially under 44. Death is most likely to happen after age 65. That's why death before 65 is considered premature because you are not expected to die. But the highest rate of death is still after age 85!

I'm 42 and only four people my age who got cancer who were my age. And only one was a close friend. Two died but they were exceptions not the rule, My close friend had breast cancer and it's most likely genetics because her mother got it also at a young age.

Try not to worry about it. Continue doing prescreening. Yearly exam and mammogram, love your children and take it one day at a time.

Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 10:03:02 AM »
I am 57 and I feel your pain. My ENT physician and I were talking one day and he said,
Marc you are 57 and I am 60. Unfortunately as we age, more and more people will be
passing away and we have to deal with it the best we can. Not exactly what I wanted to
hear.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: