Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: So sick of this...worry worry worry.  (Read 523 times)

Offline keep_calm

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
So sick of this...worry worry worry.
« on: February 10, 2014, 05:43:55 PM »
So, I've been having a lot of heartburn/GERD/acid reflux. It gets so bad that it'll feel like my right upper arm is burning. Everything I have looked at makes me think it's actually heart related. Has anyone else had this problem?? I've been popping Tums and at night taking Pepcid AC. My doctor told me I could take that daily. How should I change my diet? Any advice is truly appreciated!
Bookmark and Share

Offline colorlessideas

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: So sick of this...worry worry worry.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 06:23:48 PM »
I am going through this also. Very bad heartburn every day. It was not heart related according to my GP. She has me taking Prilosec, but I am starting to look for a more natural remedy.

I'm sure you probably already know to avoid spicy, greasy  and fatty foods, alcohol, citrus, caffeine, eating two hours before bed. I don't do any of those things and I'm still having problems.

I started taking probiotics. It would probably help you also if you haven't tried that. I cam across this today.  http://chriskresser.com/get-rid-of-heartburn-and-gerd-forever-in-three-simple-steps
He recommends a Low Carb or selective carb diet, taking certain supplements called "bitters", and probiotics, along with some other suggestions.

I am looking for a good solution myself. Really sick of the acid reflux and feeling like I'm only addressing symptoms and not the problem.

Bookmark and Share
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Offline Lo213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 09:41:46 PM »
I'm in a very similar situation. I have a hard time believing that GERD can cause so much pain in my arms, shoulders, even my jaw. And it doesn't matter what I eat. Last night I couldn't sleep because my left arm was aching so badly. I'm so scared that it is my heart. I haven't found antacids of any kind to work, making me more scared that it isn't my stomach.
Bookmark and Share

Offline keep_calm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 10:12:57 PM »
I understand how you both feel!!!!! Yes, I did read that yogurt, which has probiotics in it, can help. And yes, @Lo213, sometimes the pain wakes me up, too. What antacids are you taking?? I feel like I'm treating the symptoms too and not the problem. I was also recommended to try Prilosec. :,,(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lo213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 11:00:17 PM »
I've been taking tums, Zantac, and Prilosec. I feel like I'm at deaths door all of the time. And I hate that the antacid boxes always say to seek immediate care if it's accompanied by arm/jaw pain or sweating because I always have that, too!  I was at the ER the other day and they gave me a gi cocktail, and three other stomach meds by IV and it didn't take the pain away, and they released me anyway without running a single test. I rarely get burning, but rather just pain in my chest. I burp a LOT, but of course dr Google said even that can be a heart attack sign. My pain has increased a lot lately, and I fear that crying wolf so many times before is keeping me from getting treated and tested sufficiently.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• »ɗℴ℘∈»
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 11:10:54 PM »
I've been reading a lot about acid reflux, is it pretty commonly anxiety related?

I've only had a few times, I remember coughing in my sleep and just an execruciating burn in my throat.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline keep_calm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 09:24:07 PM »
I have literally been having reflux everyday. I HATE Googling, but feel like I have to, to reassure myself. My counselor told me to write everything down and read it back to see if it even "makes sense". I've been having the arm pain and just feeling so depressed. @Lo213, I'm really sorry about your ER trip. I can't even believe they'd let you go in pain and do no tests! And yes, I hate that at the boxes say those things. Like right now my arm is burning in one spot. Sometimes just even when I swallow food. I don't know if reflux is related to anxiety, but I have read that excessive burping is.
Bookmark and Share

Offline skyisblue

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 10:25:11 PM »
Ugh I can so relate. I'm not gonna be much of help but i just want to let you know that you guys are not alone.

I have not been diagnosed with GERD yet but for almost two weeks already, I feel really bloated after I eat. I also BURP BURP BUUUUUUUURP a lot especially after meals. It's really getting annoying.

I think the only good thing is that I don't get the heartburn or the acid up my throat.

Went to the doctors office and said it was just acid. Was given 2 weeks of omeprazole.

I'm on my 7th day now and I feel like there's only little improvement.

I haven't been genuinely hungry as well since this started. I think it was brought about my bad eating habits like overeating and not eating on time.

I am really scared that it is the big C :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 10:35:32 PM »
skyisblue…i had the EXACT symptoms as you.  It took about 2 weeks for the omeprazole to kick in.  I can now manage with just Tums.

Mine was a combo of bad eating habits and anxiety.  There is a proven link between anxiety and GERD. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline keep_calm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 01:07:18 AM »
Unfortunately I have the heartburn (intense burn) and I can feel everything I drink come up a little. It's so awful, and draining! The burping happens, too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 05:24:21 AM »
Heartburn and acid reflux is actually how I know an anxiety episode is coming. It'll start with my stomach feeling weird, churning, or sharp chest pains and that sickening feeling of gas (vapor) coming up my throat. After that, the dizziness, tingling, numbness, whatever symptom anxiety has in store for me this time will occur. I've been to a GI dr. who did an endoscopy on me and said he only found a little reflux. I was like, "A little!?" it feels like my whole stomach is full of reflux. He even strongly recommended I stop all proton pump inhibitors, as I had been taking nexium daily. His other recommendation was a diet free of fatty and fried foods, and no carbonated drinks (which I had given up long before) I have to admit, stopping those meds did help. Watching my diet and avoiding foods that upset my stomach have made reflux an occasional issue, rather than constant.
Bookmark and Share

Offline skyisblue

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 09:00:30 AM »
Falcon, sent you a pm already. :)

Keep calm, how do you describe your burping? Mine gets really bad after I eat a meal!

clipper, sorry to hear you had to go through that. I am starting to consider that my meds are causing me to be really gassy. May I know if the PPIs helped at some point even though you had to stop it?
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 09:14:50 AM »
So, I've been having a lot of heartburn/GERD/acid reflux. It gets so bad that it'll feel like my right upper arm is burning. Everything I have looked at makes me think it's actually heart related. Has anyone else had this problem?? I've been popping Tums and at night taking Pepcid AC. My doctor told me I could take that daily. How should I change my diet? Any advice is truly appreciated!

Heart things affect the LEFT arm.
I have been having heartburn for years and years and years, a few years ago the GERD would get horrible, it would wake me up from a sleep and I'd have to quick sit up because I thought everything would come up! (not nauseous, not throw up, just rise into my throat and I'd have to sit up swallowing for 15 minutes) - then I started eating my big meal for lunch, only one chicken leg or container of yogurt for dinner and that horrible reflux stopped.  When I'd eat PLAIN yogurt (fat free plain, NOTHING added) I would even stop the night time heartburn!  It's great!  (I happen to LIKE fat free plain yogurt, it's not a taste many people find appealing though.  Adding some granola to it is fine too.) but the main thing that helped me is not eating my big meal in the evening.  They say 2 hours before you go to bed.   But even if I ate at 5pm and went to bed at 10:00 I'd still have a problem.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: