Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Xanax Vs. Klonopin  (Read 270 times)

Offline WorriedDude22

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Xanax Vs. Klonopin
« on: February 10, 2014, 03:48:29 PM »
Hi all.  I'm going to the doctor for a normal check up and follow up appointment.  Long story short, I have anxiety, which is why I'm here.  I've been on Xanax on an as needed basis.  My doctor tried to give me Lexapro... however I hated it.  Had bad side effects and hate the way it makes me feel.  I've heard Klonopin is longer lasting drug than Xanax... but Xanax is faster acting for certain situations.  Does anybody take both?  Which do you prefer for general anxiety.  I do not want to take an SSRI.  Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Xanax Vs. Klonopin
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 05:15:52 PM »
Do you have like constant anxiety? Or do you get panic attacks a lot?
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 05:17:18 PM »
Lexapro make you feel all wired and weird feeling? lol I'm getting off paxil cause of that, among other reasons.
Bookmark and Share

Offline WorriedDude22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 05:35:05 PM »
DeLellis123, it's anxiety brought upon different situations.  Generally after work.  I tend to make everything bigger than it really is.  I've only had one panic attack in my life.  However, there are many times where my chest tenses up and I get short of breath and feel the anxiety coming on.  Lexapro made me very nauseous and made me feel like a zombie.  It was as if I was just "there" and didn't really have any emotions.  There was a point where I was so sick to my stomach that I didn't eat for 48 hours.  I would like to take something that keeps the edge off throughout the day... that doesn't have the extreme effects of an SSRI.  However, I'm also getting tired of the roller coaster of Xanax and the on again, off again, anxiety spells.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• I'm so official, all I need is a whistle.
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • This Space For Rent - $5/day
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 05:37:28 PM »
I'm interested in hearing the differences between these two.

I'm on .25 mg klonopin 2x a day and I don't feel it does a dang for me. It might be because I'm only 4 days in on my Zoloft although i'm only at 12.5 mg half dose right now until next friday.

I'm waiting for my psychiatrist to call me back (hopefully some time today) and talk to her about it... because I was feeling 3x worse anxietywise than I had been before I even started medication and this Klonopin that's suppose to be blanketing my symptoms isn't really giving me much relief.

I mean I know it works, it makes me feel calm... but I can only feel the klonopin while i'm worryfree and calm.

I'll be checking back on this to hear what people say.
Bookmark and Share
Sometimes when I'm home alone, I fill my bathtub with tomato sauce and pretend I'm a meatball.

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 06:50:53 PM »
Hi WD...

Xanax (Alprazolam) and Klonopin (Clonazepam) are both in the benzodiazepine classification.

Xanax is a short acting anxiolytic with a rapid onset of action, 90% of which is seen within an hour of taking the medication.  Xanax is the most prescribed and the most misused benzodiazepine in the United States.

Klonopin, on the other hand, is a much longer acting anxiolytic, with a half life of 18-50 hours.  It does have a more intermediate onset of action, taking between 1 to 4 hours to reach peak blood levels.

Benzodiazepines were always intended for short term use.   Approximately a third of individuals treated with benzodiazepines for longer than four weeks develop a dependence on the drug and experience a withdrawal syndrome upon dose reduction.

Potatoes: Your increase in anxiety since starting Zoloft is unfortunate, but it is one of the main side effects of the start-up of a SSRI.  When you start on a SSRI, serotonin levels are immediately increased, and this increases your anxiety.  This side effect normally lasts several weeks before falling off to baseline levels.  Patience, patience, patience, is what it takes for an anti-depressant to work.

The very best to all of you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 07:09:26 PM »
Off-topic:

Thanks Chuck, It's gotten worse today I need to write on a Stickie not "Patience - Chuck" on it.

Psych called and said I can take any dosage I want as long as I don't pass over 1mg but still be taken regularly, still not as needed.

I have a bit of a relief from it. I just don't want to seem like a fiend.
Bookmark and Share
Sometimes when I'm home alone, I fill my bathtub with tomato sauce and pretend I'm a meatball.

Offline Daisy131

• Rec's: 6
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 04:38:18 PM »
i have the same problem. i am on xanax, and i feel like a total fiend because i'm even on it. the pharmacy techs are very snappy with me when they ask for my id (rightfully so, b/c i'm on a high dose and my insurance requires a 3 months supply, which means i look like a freaking druggie). but i have been reassured by both my pdoc and a psych pharmacist friend that large chain drugstores have to have a certain standard of practice because of all the fiends out there.

i found that xanax works for my panic attacks, and my understanding is that klonopin is better for GAD/anxiety issues.

don't feel like a fiend. bottom line. these benzos are out there for people with anxiety. the only way i can think of becoming a fiend is if you start switching doctors to swtich prescriptions.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 05:20:05 PM »
large chain drugstores have to have a certain standard of practice because of all the fiends out there.

Stigma.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lexie2006

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 10:15:55 PM »
I understand i been on xanaax and klonopin I'm on klonopin i ran out and had the worst feeling of anxiety of my life itt pissed me off cause the doctors acted like i was a drug addict but xanax has a faster effect though has a shorter half life that makes it more addictive and klonopin taks longer to take effect but has a longer half life but I'm in an anxiety attack now took klonopin about 5 minutes. and I'm still panicking and I'm on 1 mg so i don't know.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: