Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: New to this chat room, need reassurance please  (Read 214 times)

Offline mmhhmm

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New to this chat room, need reassurance please
« on: February 10, 2014, 03:05:40 PM »
Hi,

I am new to this chat room. I found this site while reading up online about anxiety and thought I would try it out. I am looking for some support and reassurance right now. My story is a little long so please bear with me.

I am a 34 year old female. I lost my mother to cancer almost seven years ago and had slight anxiety about health until I became pregnant with my second child.

When my son (now 3) was six months old I became pregnant with my daughter (now almost 2). Although happy to be having a baby, I had a high risk pregnancy with my son and was scared of being pregnant again. Throughout most of my pregnancy I now see that I had anxiety and probably depression. After my daughter was born I went straight downhill. I was having symptoms of every illness I could think of or google. The worst of it was dry mouth and eyes. I had no saliva at all, and my eyes were like gritty sandpaper. I became convinced I had Sjogren's disease or MS or anything really. I could barely function. My mother in law was basically taking care of my kids for me. It was one of the worst times of my life. Anyways, I went to the doctor who was covering for mine while she was on holidays and they did blood tests for Sjogren's and other auto immune markers (reactive protein, ana, Anti-SSA and SSB and I believe RA). All came back negative and I was diagnosed with bad post partum depression. I was put on celexa and slowly I moved on and felt better. All of my symptoms went away. The dry eyes took longer than everything else, but after I was better, my eyes were only dry after I was up lots in the night with my kids. (So fairly often, I have two young children) But they weren't bad at all. I haven't been able to wear contacts for about 10 years anyways by then because they made my eyes dry.

I was on Celexa for about 18 months total and felt great so I weaned off of it and stopped completely in October of 2013. I know I was starting to feel depressed a bit again off and on for a while. And in December I started becoming anxious that I was having vision problems. So I went to the eye doctor and had my eyes checked. And they were fine. My prescription hadn't changed at all in years. I was then starting to wake up in the morning and my hands and feet felt hot and swollen, but looked fine. I had that for a week or so and it went away. Then I noticed the ringing in my ears becoming really loud about two weeks ago. My ears always ring, I believe I have a damaged ear drum that I have never had checked. But I usually only hear it in the morning when I wake up and it's really quiet in my house. I was beginning to have anxiety about it but kind of forced it out of my head. The next evening my dry mouth was back. It's been over two weeks now and it hasn't gone away.

I made a doctors appointment because I thought I should go back on my Celexa. I was thinking maybe I was having physical anxiety symptoms again. I went to my doctor last Thursday and the first thing she says is that there is this syndrome women get called Sjogren's... I immediately became extremely anxious and my mouth got even more dry. I didn't even think to mention that I had tests for it 20 months ago that came back negative. So she sent me for the Anti-SSA blood test. I asked to go back on Celexa and she said ok, it could be anxiety, but didn't sound very convinced.  It takes up to two weeks to get the blood test back and from what I have read it doesn't always show up on blood tests.

Anyways, I have been a mess for the last five days, my dry mouth is way worse and I am anxious all the time. I'm not sleeping and I am terrified that I have an auto immune disease and that this isn't just anxiety.

Has anyone experienced bouts of dry mouth related to anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New to this chat room, need reassurance please
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 03:56:23 PM »
You should have told your doctor you have already done the tests, but better safe than sorry.

Anyway, dry mouth are a symptom of anxiety and it seems that you had postnatal depression, that's what my mom had. Going back to Celexa is a good thing.

When you results come, and I believe they will be fine like before, then you should also consider going to therapist in my opinion if you don't see that meds are not helping.

Take care
Bookmark and Share

Offline mmhhmm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 04:02:06 PM »
Yes. I definitely should have told my doctor, and I was honestly in such a panic that I didn't even think about it until I was on my way home.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kindra11

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 06:38:12 PM »
I have a lot of those symptoms! Have your dentist check you for tmj :)
Bookmark and Share
Broken, But Not Destroyed

Offline mmhhmm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 07:05:40 PM »
I have a lot of those symptoms! Have your dentist check you for tmj :)

Does tmj cause dry mouth?

Bookmark and Share

Offline Kindra11

Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 07:12:54 PM »
Yep it sure can! It has a ton of symptoms that you would never associate with your jaw.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kindra11

Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 07:13:49 PM »
On a side note, it was also the culprit behind my extremely dry scratchy eyes  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline mmhhmm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 07:18:02 PM »
On a side note, it was also the culprit behind my extremely dry scratchy eyes  :yes:

Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to make an appointment with my dentist
Bookmark and Share

Tags: anxiety dry mouth