Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 68 times)

Offline Belinda

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Hello everyone!
« on: February 10, 2014, 01:59:33 PM »
Hi, I'm a 20-year-old girl who struggles a lot with anxiety and panic attacks. A few years ago I was diagnosed with an eating disorder and depression, but later anxiety has become a bigger problem.

I'm a first year nursing student, I really like school and find nursing super interesting, so that's great :) I love reading and writing my own original stuff, I also used to play the piano, but after moving out of my mom's house I haven't had the opportunity to do so. When I was younger I also really enjoyed horseback riding, at one point I practically lived at the stables, but right now I can't afford lessons.

I kind of feel like I'm in a good place with my life right now, but my panic attacks are giving me a lot of trouble. I think it's mostly due to the sexual abuse I was a victim of as a child, because that's something I haven't really been able to process yet, and don't feel comfortable talking about it even with my therapist (she's great though). Socially I'm struggling since I feel like I don't fit in with my group of friends, and that causes a lot of anxiety. I'm trying to be patient with myself and give myself the time I need to heal, but it's hard when party a lot and are in relationships, and I often feel pressured to be like them.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 04:40:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Potatoes

• I'm so official, all I need is a whistle.
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • This Space For Rent - $5/day
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 05:08:25 PM »
Hey there Belinda,

I'm glad to see you on the board. You're going to find plenty of people to connect with here, so don't hesitate to post around or join the chat room.

From the sounds of it you have faced your situations well hearing that you're first year in nursing. That is an excellent career to pursue. My mother is actually an RN, I haven't talked with her much as she's often busy. I know that she works a lot of hours and they are always in need. sometimes, as stressful as that sounds, it might just keep you occupied.

How are you handling your disorders to this day?

As for social anxiety, that is one of my biggest troubles I face. I've been diagnosed with it not even a week ago. I kept pressing myself to go seek help and I finally broke and I did. It was quite the milestone in my life. but talking face to face with someone that understands you is one of the most relieving sense of self-worth you can get.

I'm 22 now, when I was 18-20 I loved to party, I loved to go out and drink, but there was always something itchy about it, like I had to force myself to do it. I struggled with bars... I had to be quite a few drinks in before I felt comfortable and myself. I still go out time to time, and I like to hang out with friends when I feel comfortable, but college has been taking a toll on my schedule, and I don't mind it one bit. it will give me time to sort out my struggles until I can get a handle on my social anxiety. plus my counselor is right there on campus and it's free (part of my tuition).

What type of career do you want to pursue? You're going to be successful, just stick with it.

I'm going to school for Biology but after my four years is up I plan on moving onto the University of Washington for Pathology. I want to work in a path lab.

pleasure to meet you. (:
Bookmark and Share
Sometimes when I'm home alone, I fill my bathtub with tomato sauce and pretend I'm a meatball.

Offline Belinda

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 05:46:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies :)

How are you handling your disorders to this day?
I think I'm doing quite well when it comes to my eating disorder, I'm quite self concious with how I look, and I still have an unfounded fear of gaining weight, but I am normal weight and despite everything I'm eating normally.

I loved to go out and drink, but there was always something itchy about it, like I had to force myself to do it. I struggled with bars... I had to be quite a few drinks in before I felt comfortable and myself.
I can totally relate to that. I like partying, but I'm not a big fan of bars and at the beginning of parties I always sit by myself and only talk to people I know. I have to have a few drinks before I really "fit in".

What type of career do you want to pursue? You're going to be successful, just stick with it.
I don't really know what I want to do yet, but I'm really interested in cardiology, so something related to that would be great :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: