Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Homebound since October  (Read 204 times)

Offline nate

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Homebound since October
« on: February 10, 2014, 11:45:54 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm a recently homebound agoraphobic since October. I got a really bad panic attack while driving on the freeway to school, and drove right back home (horrifying experience) and haven't left since. I've suffered with panic attacks since 2005, but have never gotten this bad. I also suffer from GAD apart from the panic disorder. I force myself to go outside daily, but the furthest I can go out is to the sidewalk and back inside, as well as the backyard. It would be nice to meet anyone who has or is going through this as well.
My biggest hurdle is deal with the physical symptoms. I usually struggle with tilting/floating sensations when I get anxious, almost like a light headed/dizziness. Sometimes feel faint (never fainted), racing heart, and derealization. I feel so trapped most of the time!! :(

-Nate
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Homebound since October
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 05:30:24 AM »
Even going out daily is a good start to getting your life back. I spent the best part of ten years in the house. I know exactly how you are feeling. Once outside let those feelings come on. I know they will be bad. I know you will want to run back in. You are not that far from your house. They are only feelings. Bad feelings I know. But they can't really harm you. Just make you feel crap for a while. Maybe drain you. The more you allow them to come on the weaker they do become. As the body and the mind gets used to them. Then you challenge yourself to go a little bit further away from your home. Not that far. We take it slowly. I went through all of this myself. Got some form of life back. Keep track of your progress in a journal. Be it good points or bad points. Write it all down. No matter how bad things may seem right now, there is always a road back. We just have to believe in ourselves. Once we start to get things right we will find we want to push ourselves even more. Just take it one day at a time. If you could see a therapist that would might be a big plus too. To help you with this exposure therapy.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: